cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Fuel Availability

southernsky
Explorer
Explorer
We're leaving Sunday from south Louisiana heading to Maine and parts in between. Was wonder if anyone is having problems finding diesel while on the road. Not worried about prices, it is what it is. Thanks
2022 Renegade Super C
2020 Ford Ranger 4x4 Sport
21 REPLIES 21

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
jdc1 wrote:
Can't cry about $6/gallon fuel. Ask a Canadian what they are paying.

I looked long & hard for a Canadian to ask! Couldn't find one!

:B..:B

dedmiston
Please keep the politics out of the thread, as hard as that may be.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

Michelle_S
Explorer II
Explorer II
I looked at some of our previous trips. In 2014 we traveled across the country from Florida and all the way up to Fairbanks, Alaska. were paying $3.50 to $5 in the US and one stop in Canada fuel was $1.99 a Liter. Don't remember anyone complaining then like they are now.
2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I do not think you will have any issues FINDING fuel
Paying for it.. Well that's another matter.

The Oil companies are working hard to insure you can pay too much for fuel.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

wanderingbob
Explorer II
Explorer II
I drove thru 6 states last week , no shortage of fuel . Price varied by up to 80 cents a gallon just by moving away from interstate highways.

dedmiston
Microlite Mike wrote:
Stations like that are usually "un-branded" and are both in remote areas as well as slowly vanishing. They're usually served by the larger "Jobbers" that service fleets and other accounts that are too small for the large distributors to bother with.

Yep. The indies are definitely the edge cases though.

I used to install back-office software in c-stores and spent a lot of time in gas stations all over the U.S. One of the most interesting installs was for a major jobber in Long Beach, CA. They had about a hundred c-stores and our system consolidated all of their store reports into something they could view daily at their headquarters. Our software product was still in beta, so I spent a couple months down at their HQ tweaking and troubleshooting.

The most interesting thing about spending so much time in their offices was watching all the traders. Those guys were on the phone all day long making buys and sells and it was crazy to watch. They'd buy Chevron's oversupply and sell it to Unocal, etc. I never realized that all those refined products were identical until they were loaded onto the company trucks and the branded chemicals were added. I'd heard before that "It's all the same {stuff} until the chemists whizz in it to make it Shell gas." That never made sense to me until I actually saw the product move around like that.

The other thing I saw was that everyone was making a buck no matter what the price was. The demand is so inelastic that customers like us will keep buying no matter what. But the majors and their whole distribution network all made their buck. The only times I ever saw anybody losing out was when the parent companies would squeeze their dealers with an uncompetitive cost, and then the dealers would lose out to the guy down the street. Doing their price surveys and arguing their case to the majors looked pretty frustrating to those guys. I never did hear the other side of the story though. The only dealers who really seemed pinched were the ones who weren't very good businessmen to start with. Either the majors smelled blood in the water or they were doing something else dumb that hurt their prospects.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
dedmiston wrote:
There's a lot of misunderstandings about how fuel deliveries are paid for.

For starters, some of the locations are "company owned" or "salary operated". At those stores, the oil company owns the location and the station doesn't pay for the load.

Some companies work on true consignment where the branded company delivers the load and then the dealer pays as they go (on terms, of course). These are rare, but Amoco used to be the main major company to do this. I don't know if they still do. In these cases, Amoco owns the oil until it's sold. Amoco can call the dealer at any time and change the cost, and then the dealer needs to change their price.

In most cases, the dealers receive the load and then gets invoiced for it and they pay according to their terms.

In no case does the dealer hand the driver a sack of doubloons to pay for the load of fuel.

In my best Brandon voiceโ€ฆcmon man!
Donโ€™t go inserting fact and substance into a perfectly good sky is falling paranoia thread!
Lol
Cheers!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Microlite_Mike
Explorer
Explorer
JRscooby wrote:
dedmiston wrote:

For starters, some of the locations are "company owned" or "salary operated". At those stores, the oil company owns the location and the station doesn't pay for the load.

Some companies work on true consignment where the branded company delivers the load and then the dealer pays as they go (on terms, of course). These are rare, but Amoco used to be the main major company to do this. I don't know if they still do. In these cases, Amoco owns the oil until it's sold. Amoco can call the dealer at any time and change the cost, and then the dealer needs to change their price.

In most cases, the dealers receive the load and then gets invoiced for it and they pay according to their terms.

In no case does the dealer hand the driver a sack of doubloons to pay for the load of fuel.

What you say is likely true in most cases. But there are still stations that buy fuel from whoever will deliver, and payment made, not to driver, but transferred no delivery. (Fuel shortage, most likely not have a supply).

Stations like that are usually "un-branded" and are both in remote areas as well as slowly vanishing. They're usually served by the larger "Jobbers" that service fleets and other accounts that are too small for the large distributors to bother with.
"Knowledge is realizing that the street is one-way, wisdom is looking both directions anyway."

~ Albert Einstein

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
dedmiston wrote:

What you say is likely true in most cases. But there are still stations that buy fuel from whoever will deliver, and payment made, not to driver, but transferred no delivery. (Fuel shortage, most likely not have a supply).

dedmiston
Now that I've participated in the hijacking...

This thread isn't really a Roads & Routes discussion, or at least it isn't anymore. I'm going to move it to General.

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

dedmiston
Mayor30 wrote:
I just saw a video of the CEO of Pilot/Flying J. He testified that they get most of their DEF fluid by train. Their supplier told them their deliveries are being cut back by 25%.So while we may be able to get fuel, for those that own a truck that uses DEF fluid,we won't be able to drive anyways. Then I saw another story about how if your DEF fluid sensor goes bad, the engine computer won't let you run more than 5mph. This actually happened to me.

We've really done it to ourselves, haven't we. We switched all of our new diesels to DEF, and then we ship that DEF by diesel locomotives (not using DEF, by the way), but now the diesel is too expensive to ship the DEF.

What would Yakoff Shmirnoff say?

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

Mayor30
Explorer
Explorer
I just saw a video of the CEO of Pilot/Flying J. He testified that they get most of their DEF fluid by train. Their supplier told them their deliveries are being cut back by 25%.So while we may be able to get fuel, for those that own a truck that uses DEF fluid,we won't be able to drive anyways. Then I saw another story about how if your DEF fluid sensor goes bad, the engine computer won't let you run more than 5mph. This actually happened to me.

dedmiston

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
JRscooby wrote:
schlep1967 wrote:

My thoughts are that some of the smaller stations may stop filling there diesel tanks simply because they don't have the capitol to pay for thousands of gallons at that price.

This makes 0 sense in time of rising prices. You buy 10,000 gallons, expecting to sell for $4.00 a gallon. But the price goes up, and you sell that fuel for average price of $5, you have $10,000.00 extra to pay for the next tank full.
Dropping price is more likely to hurt a station that pays for fuel up front.
Never underestimate the will and resources of a fuel station owner.