cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

A/C Thermostat

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
I am having an issue with my thermostat. First off, my A/C is running exactly as it should as is my furnace. However, the thermostat is no long "true." To get the compressor to kick in, I have to push the thermostat slide all the way up to 85. It still cools to where I want it and it cycles on/off. However, I always kept it set in the 72-75 range and that no longer does anything. Same thing with heat. If I want it at 72, I have to slide it up to 85.

I know nothing about it and I do have a service I have used before when I get to my destination, but just wondered if this is something common. I talked to a tech here at the rally I am at and he seemed confused, so I decided not to let him do anything with it as it is working right now.

Dale
Dale Pace
Widow of Terry (Teacher's Pet)

Traveling with Brendon, my Scottish Terrier

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

2021 Coach House Platinum III 250DT
Fulltimed for 15 years, now living in Florida

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/
11 REPLIES 11

Codeguruw1
Explorer
Explorer
I think it's possible to repair your stat with masters
all enthusiasts working in the best angular dev company

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
New Bigger A/C installed along with new thermostat. Cooling nicely. Coach was 96* here when he started. It was cold enough I had to adjust when I went to bed because it was too cold. So nice to be cool again.

Dale
Dale Pace

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
Well, I found out that you can't get much fixed in Elkhart if you are in a hurry or otherwise. I called 5 places we had done business with in the past with our Phaeton. One is out of business; one no longer has an appliance tech and the owner can't keep up, so no appointments available; one you leave a message, but the mailbox is full; one can schedule the end of July; and another can't say when they could check it out. AND, the A/C has quit. Gonna be 96 here this week.

So I did some searching on Google and found a mobile tech I hadn't seen before. Has some very good reviews. Offers 24/7 service, call anytime. So I shot him a text message late last evening. He called me back within an hour and said he'd come over to the Goshen fairgrounds where I am at a rally. He got here at midnight. . . security checked him out and brought him back and promised to keep an "eye" on me. Very nice young man. He checked out everything, was very quiet. Two bad capacitors and a bad thermostat. One capacitor had a hole blown through it. The compressor was not operating optimally. Parts not readily available for an 18 year old obsolete DuoTherm. Still want to make it to Escapade next week in Tennessee so I am having a new A/C unit and thermostat put on. He will do it on Tuesday. Living in Florida, I felt like new was better. I could have changed a few parts, but other parts are still 18 years old. I plan to eventually upgrade with a different unit and it will be a plus to offer the next owner a new A/C.

Just hope the dog and I can make it through a couple days of hot, hot weather. I will be okay as I have acclimated to Florida now and anything below 85 feels cold to me, but the dog wears a fur coat!

Safe travels!

Dale
Dale Pace

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
I will let you all know what I find out. I'm making an appointment with the guy who fixed our last one in Elkhart. He's really good and very reasonable. I would not attempt anything myself. DH would have, but I am alone now and don't want to mess anything up that is still working! LOL

Dale
Dale Pace

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
nickthehunter wrote:
It's not likely (but 18 years is borderline) if it's a mercury switch thermostat and off level it will act as you described.

I have 43 years as an RV tech. Wall mount RV AC tstats came about in the late 1980's. There has NEVER been a Mercury RV AC wall Tstat since at least 1979. I don't know before that, But Furnace Tstats were Bi metal. Doug

nickthehunter
Nomad II
Nomad II
deleted - duplicate

nickthehunter
Nomad II
Nomad II
It's not likely (but 18 years is borderline) if it's a mercury switch thermostat and off level it will act as you described.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
There is NOTHING---NOTHING on the top of the AC or under the cover that will cause your problem. Hopefully the compressed air will do the trick. BTW, Duotherm has NOT been used as a brand for over 35 years:) Dometic purchased them almost 40 years ago and they just used that term for years after. Confuses a lot of people. Duotherm/Dometic, same thing. Doug

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
T stats go bad. I would just replace it.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
dougrainer wrote:
Take the cover off the front of the tstat and blow out the Tstat with PC can of compressed air to clean it and the sensor. Also, it also depends on where the tstat is mounted in the RV and if you have any AC air blowing in its proximity. Doug

PS. Is this a recent problem? It was working fine before? If so, then the cleaning of the tstat will probably fix it

Last, without knowing which model tstat you have, it may be just as simple as the 20 year old tstat is worn out(slider assbly and contacs) and needs replaced

Thank you, Doug. Yes it was working prior and accurate on the temp. I had my coach washed and I thought they may have been too aggressive around the A/C, but I have no idea. I cleaned the filter and had some "crackling noise" when I pushed it back up. But I waited a few days (to make sure it dried well) and it's running fine, just "off" on the temp. It is 18 years old. I am thinking I will have the tech we used before check it all out. It's a DuoTherm. I was worried the A/C wouldn't work and I was going to be in some really hot temps, but it's keeping me and the dog nice and cool.

Thanks!

Dale
Dale Pace

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Take the cover off the front of the tstat and blow out the Tstat with PC can of compressed air to clean it and the sensor. Also, it also depends on where the tstat is mounted in the RV and if you have any AC air blowing in its proximity. Doug

PS. Is this a recent problem? It was working fine before? If so, then the cleaning of the tstat will probably fix it

Last, without knowing which model tstat you have, it may be just as simple as the 20 year old tstat is worn out(slider assbly and contacs) and needs replaced