cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Should I use caulk with a T-style door holder?

hedgehopper
Explorer
Explorer
I want to replace a broken plastic T-style door holder with a metal one. Do I need to use caulk when I screw it on?
15 REPLIES 15

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Just showed what a RV manufacturer uses. I prefer a quality latex adhesive caulk for what the OP wants to seal. Some people swear by Lexel.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cummins12V98 wrote:
This is what DRV uses on their 5er's.

Laytex adhesive caulking is also good.

Good luck with that stuff....I have used it in the past on my TT and found the following:

1. It's expensive and won't keep more than a few days after the tube is opened.

2. Mineral spirits is the only thing that clean it up.

3. It hardens like a rock rather than staying flexible. Seams I sealed on my TT cracked after a few years, and the stuff was so hard you couldn't chisel it out.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Ok, OP, if you use silicone properly, it will seal up the latch just fine.
These guys arenโ€™t wrong, about how it is tough to deal with, but itโ€™s a door latch, youโ€™re not caulking the camper and sealing the roof with itโ€ฆ.
Just donโ€™t tell them you used it. Lol.
Fwiw, I wouldnโ€™t go buy a $20 or more tube of urethane or whatever for something this minor, if you have anything else laying around.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bobbo wrote:
Fulltimers wrote:
Just squirt a little silicone in the screw hole before inserting the screw. No need to Calk all around the latch.

Not silicone! EVER! However, squirt Dicor in the hole before inserting the screw, THEN cover the screw with more Dicor making sure you seal around the screw all the way to the surface you are screwing into.

Concur!!!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Fulltimers wrote:
Just squirt a little silicone in the screw hole before inserting the screw. No need to Calk all around the latch.

Not silicone! EVER! However, squirt Dicor in the hole before inserting the screw, THEN cover the screw with more Dicor making sure you seal around the screw all the way to the surface you are screwing into.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
This is what DRV uses on their 5er's.

Laytex adhesive caulking is also good.

Fulltimers
Explorer
Explorer
Fulltimers
Fulltimers Weblog

2003 Rexhall Aerbus 3550BSL
W-22 Workhorse
2005 Saturn Vue (Mr. Toad)
3.5L V6 Automatic

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Good recommendations thus far. Although for a door latch like youโ€™re replacing, I probably would just use whatever I had around the house for caulking or gasket maker.
Butyl is pretty much dummy proof and also seals the best.
I wouldnโ€™t get hung up on having to have it though. I donโ€™t believe Iโ€™ve seen it used under door latches on the campers Iโ€™ve had.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
I use Butyl tape whenever I can.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
Hedge,

What nobody has explained is that if you leave a small void, water can get in there. If water can get in there, it can freeze in there. If it can freeze once, it can freeze larger the next time.

I boat work, this is called "bedding" something and it is essential to a proper fitting of anything.

Butyl stuff is great because it never hardens and you want it to stay flexible forever.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cummins12V98 wrote:
IMHO that SH!T is just that! It doesn't stop creeping out.

There's a reason that every RV manufacturer uses it on every rig made, all the way from pop-ups to 6-figure busses. Your "high-quality sealant" is always used in addition to, not in place of, the butyl putty tape.

hedgehopper
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote , "Use some quality sealant NOT silicone."

Such as?

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
BurbMan wrote:
Anything attached to the outside of an RV gets a piece of this butyl putty tape under it. Use a piece of this tape under the flange of the door holder and then screw it into the camper. trim the excess tape that squeezes out as you tighten the screws. Caulk around the edges.

IMHO that SH!T is just that! It doesn't stop creeping out. Use some quality sealant NOT silicone.

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Anything attached to the outside of an RV gets a piece of this butyl putty tape under it. Use a piece of this tape under the flange of the door holder and then screw it into the camper. trim the excess tape that squeezes out as you tighten the screws. Caulk around the edges.