cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Unknown or erroneous title on single axle fifth wheel

CohoSalmon
Explorer
Explorer
I just came into possession of a single axle fifth wheel RV trailer. I'm just now cleaning and repairing for use. I had trou[img][/img]ble with the title but resolved it. The issue seems to be if this is a home made or factory made RV. Title says it is a 1990 home made. However. It is clearly a factory built "Weekender". Licensing person said a pick up camper had wheels put under, single axle, and the fifth wheel attachment added. I don't believe it. Looks to me like a 1990s fifth wheel single axle but probably the smallest ever built. Title says weight is 800 lb. I'll try to post a picture. Does anyone know of a "Weekender" brand of small fifth wheels?
55 REPLIES 55

capacitor
Explorer
Explorer
From above? There shouldnโ€™t be plumbing in the roof. Turn off the pump or water supply and does it stop? Is it raining there?

CohoSalmon
Explorer
Explorer
has to be the supply. nothing on but water coming down from above. I'll study the download and compare. thank you all for the help. very kind of you all. For those who wondered about the title, the RV is in Washington State. I brought the old title I had (the widow signed) to Tennessee my permanent residence, and got them to issue a title for a 1990 HM trailer. Yes, Tennessee is a state that doesn't title small trailers. You don't even need lights if you pull it during the day and your car lights are visible. Courthouse people in Madison County were very helpful. I've plates and title for a Home Made that isn't home made. ๐Ÿ™‚

capacitor
Explorer
Explorer
CohoSalmon wrote:
There is a maze of plumbing left rear corner behind the shower/toilet. Leaking above somewhere. Water Wil come out the sink and shower.... but the leak also has water.

Do you mean the water supply is leaking or the drain?

CohoSalmon
Explorer
Explorer
Printed this site... thanks.. exactly what I needed. I mean....my house has only one septic tank ..... I found the RV confusing

CohoSalmon
Explorer
Explorer
There is a maze of plumbing left rear corner behind the shower/toilet. Leaking above somewhere. Water Wil come out the sink and shower.... but the leak also has water.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Are you saying you see no water coming out anywhere? Doug

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well if you have access to the internet Youtube is a great resource
for all of this.

This may well get you started

It has helped me out many times.

Good luck

Long ago I had a friend that had one like yours,I had never seen a fifth wheel that small,he pulled it with his Ford Ranger.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

CohoSalmon
Explorer
Explorer
As I said in the beginning, I've not been an RVer in the past.....however, I do need living quarters on ajob site. I built a metal roof to keep the rain out of this 45 year old trailer. I've come to like it. Yes, the size is very attractive for one person. I can see the simplicity of towing and use for one person. As I replace those incandescent lights with LED I'm also trying to get the water system working. I hooked up a water hose, 72 lb pressure, and promptly blew something out. I turned on the 12 volt pump and it works fine except there's a leak somewhere. I'm totally intimidated by what seems to me a very complex system of hot water tank, holding tank, fresh water tank, external source, and I don't know what else. Is there a site for "RV water systems made simple"?

Thermoguy
Explorer II
Explorer II
CohoSalmon wrote:
Thanks everyone. When I have internet I will post a picture.

Finally a 1/2 ton towable 5th Wheel!!

๐Ÿ™‚

Wadcutter
Explorer III
Explorer III
I know that IL DMV will often re-label older trailers as home built instead of making the effort of finding an original title. Seem them do it on newer trailers too. Some states do not require a license/title for small trailers so a person can buy one in those states and lose the title over the years because they don't have to license it. Then they sell it to someone from a different state that requires a title. Instead of the 2nd state researching for a title or requiring the new purchaser to get a title which may be near impossible the 2nd state DMV will just do a home built title.
Like your 5er it's obviously not a home built but given its age I can see where a previous owner might have lost the title, if they ever had one.
Camped in every state

CohoSalmon
Explorer
Explorer
The DMV told me it's a homebuilt. I had a title from a deceased owner. It's date of"home building" was 1990. DMV had me track down the widow. I got my title as a homebuilt. No one challenging me yet...... however....truth is... it's factory built in the mid 70's. The mfgr serial number went missing somehow...it might be stolen .. but I got it when a renter moved out and abandoned it.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
I'm a little confused:
- Is the DMV refusing to title it?
- Is it curiosity regarding the original manufacturer?
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
NO WAY that's a truck camper...if you put that in a truck bed, the camper door would never open! The external frame that supports the cabover and pinbox is an unusual design , but NO WAY is that a "homemade" fifth wheel, it was built as a 5er and it came from the factory like that.