Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: New Roof Time! Can I just layer over the existing plywood?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> New Roof Time! Can I just layer over the existing plywood?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
211Racing

Texas Hill Country

View Profile

Posted: 05/27/22 12:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Got an old, unkempt 2002 Tioga 25' Class C RV recently (really cheap). Fixed the mechanical issues. Now going after the roof. Whatever they last used for a roof membrane, it is almost completely gone. Bare plywood in many places. Some dry rot. Did exploratory surgery this morning with a hole-saw. See the images. The plywood forming the exterior roof and interior ceiling is approximately 3mm thick. Between that roof and ceiling is 3" of foam (presumably injected). The adhesion between the plywood and foam is very strong. What problems do I cause myself if I leave the current plywood in place, strip, clean and seal it, patch wherever needed, than lay down (put up) a new 5mm plywood layer on the roof and ceiling? This will be a low-use vehicle, mostly for day trips to motocross/hare scramble races (need someplace to cool off). I am willing to accept the added weight. Thank you for your insights and shared experiences.

[image] border="0" alt="[image]">
[image]

BurbMan

Indianapolis, IN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/27/22 12:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That is a structural panel where the styrofoam and plywood is all vacuum bonded together. I would clean up the roof as you describe, then go over it with 1/8" (3mm) plywood so you have a nice clean surface, then get a roll of EDPM rubber membrane and cover the roof with that. Glue it down. Seal around vents, etc. with Dicor self-leveling lap sealant. If the rig had a rubber roof on it before there is probably trim around the edges you can reuse.

211Racing

Texas Hill Country

View Profile

Posted: 05/27/22 12:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That's what I wanted to hear.

Thank you.

RLS7201

Beautyful Downtown Gladstone, MO

View Profile

Posted: 05/27/22 12:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The adhesives don't stick well to the old surfaces. Most times new lauan is used to get a good bond for the new roof membrane.
Dicor has been punishing RVers for years. Given time it cracks and leaks. If you're going to all that work spend a little more and use Sikaflex 715 for sealing around your EPDM roof. Sikaflex doesn't harden and crack like Dicor.

Richard

* This post was edited 05/27/22 12:32pm by RLS7201 *

95 Bounder 32H F53
460/528 stroker
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

Lwiddis

Southern California :(

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/27/22 03:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I suggest following Burb Man’s recommendations.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

BurbMan

Indianapolis, IN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/27/22 03:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I should also that when you cover with new plywood, glue it down with a good construction adhesive like PL Max (get it one of the big box home stores). It's very strong yet flexible and will make the new plywood part of the structural panel. This way you only need a few staples to hold it while the PL dries.

The Lance that I rebuilt (link in my signature) had an aluminum roof, that's another option if you can get a roll of aluminum wide enough to cover with no seams. The aluminum would be sturdier than the rubber but much harder to work with outside of a factory setting.

bukhrn

Lanexa, Va

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/27/22 06:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I take it you have found no evidence of leaking, (interior or exterior), no signs of mold.

2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund
You can have my RV, when you pry my cold dead fingers from the Steering Wheel

211Racing

Texas Hill Country

View Profile

Posted: 05/27/22 06:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm not in deep enough into the tear down to get a reading on leaks or mold. I'll remediate that as it appears.

Veebyes

Bermuda & Maryland Eastern Shore

View Profile

Posted: 05/28/22 08:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JMO but if the existing plywood is in good condition I would consider giving it a dose of preservatives & go from there with whatever you deem good for top coatings or coverings.

Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

B.O. Plenty

Minnesota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/29/22 03:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Look up AZ Expert on You Tube. He has several roof videos.

B.O.

Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> New Roof Time! Can I just layer over the existing plywood?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.