cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Remember to keep alert while driving..

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
This is from my dash cam on our first camping trip of 2022. We are on I90 going East not too far from Vantage, WA.

loose pallets

I was very lucky in that the pallets were FLAT ones and hit the road just before I slowed down and split second decision to keep going straight. (I was also towing my #7000 TT and there were some 20-25 mph side winds going on).

Note the car that passes me on my left.. I could not move over and somehow I knew that he was there...

Another lucky incident while on the road for sure.. ๐Ÿ™‚

Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.
23 REPLIES 23

covered_wagon
Explorer
Explorer
Caveman Charlie wrote:
covered wagon wrote:
Caveman Charlie wrote:
larry barnhart wrote:
We had a near death experience coming home on 93 in Nv this trip that is our last and almost was. following a semi that was wandering I decided to not pass because we were going 60 mph, soon the line up behind us was growing with MH trailers and semi's. so keeping a nice distance from the truck ahead and looked behind to see the last truck inline starting to pass. At that time I let up on the throttle to make out distance longer but soon It seemed to not be enough and hit the brakes and the passing semi was going around the truck in front of us. when he hit his brake and his truck went to the right I was on the brakes hoping the folks behind us saw what was happening. Just as the passing semi pulled over the semi that was coming toward us just passed within inches or a foot or two. So I feel I was alert to what was happening. chevman

So, this is a two lane road I'm guessing. What is the speed limit ? It sounds like ; if I were you ; I would either have passed the semi in front of me or have pulled off at a safe place to let people pass. By following the semi in front of you for a long time you made it so that no one could pass the two of you and you caused a unsafe situation that led to someone needing to pass the whole line of cars. The guy behind you was causing some of the problem too !! When it's SAFE ! and I want to emphasize that !!! you are better off getting out in front and pulling away instead of following behind and causing a traffic jam behind you. Or, pulling off somewhere and getting out of the way.

He stated that he leaves enough room in front to let vehicles in so they can pass in two stages. That's he right thing to never tailgate and leave plenty of room. He even slows down to let others in he said. I would be copying his driving habit as to what he said he does.:)

You are right. I apologize.

I tend to speed read things and it sometimes screws me up. I should unlearn that. I started it in high school so I could read the boring text books quickly getting just enough info to get a passing grade. lol It's a hard habit to break.

Shows you have good character, two thumbs up to you and hope we meet someday at camp.

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Surprised you didn't pull over and get his info in case you discovered damage later

Caveman_Charlie
Explorer
Explorer
covered wagon wrote:
Caveman Charlie wrote:
larry barnhart wrote:
We had a near death experience coming home on 93 in Nv this trip that is our last and almost was. following a semi that was wandering I decided to not pass because we were going 60 mph, soon the line up behind us was growing with MH trailers and semi's. so keeping a nice distance from the truck ahead and looked behind to see the last truck inline starting to pass. At that time I let up on the throttle to make out distance longer but soon It seemed to not be enough and hit the brakes and the passing semi was going around the truck in front of us. when he hit his brake and his truck went to the right I was on the brakes hoping the folks behind us saw what was happening. Just as the passing semi pulled over the semi that was coming toward us just passed within inches or a foot or two. So I feel I was alert to what was happening. chevman

So, this is a two lane road I'm guessing. What is the speed limit ? It sounds like ; if I were you ; I would either have passed the semi in front of me or have pulled off at a safe place to let people pass. By following the semi in front of you for a long time you made it so that no one could pass the two of you and you caused a unsafe situation that led to someone needing to pass the whole line of cars. The guy behind you was causing some of the problem too !! When it's SAFE ! and I want to emphasize that !!! you are better off getting out in front and pulling away instead of following behind and causing a traffic jam behind you. Or, pulling off somewhere and getting out of the way.

He stated that he leaves enough room in front to let vehicles in so they can pass in two stages. That's he right thing to never tailgate and leave plenty of room. He even slows down to let others in he said. I would be copying his driving habit as to what he said he does.:)

You are right. I apologize.

I tend to speed read things and it sometimes screws me up. I should unlearn that. I started it in high school so I could read the boring text books quickly getting just enough info to get a passing grade. lol It's a hard habit to break.
1993 Cobra Sunrise, 20 foot Travel Trailer.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Caveman Charlie wrote:

Always refreshing to see some good ole rvnet Monday morning QB posts!

OP caused an unsafe condition....rofl. You have a very interesting way of looking at things...
It's amazing the garbage that comes out of some people's keyboard on here....

But I'm trying to understand here...and even picturing myself driving down 93 in BFE Nevada with a camper. (Helps with context, which you, even if you had a point, have no remote idea of the context since you're not even familiar with the road...which is probably not a requirement with your clairvoyance.)

Still trying....

Still trying.....

Nope can't figure out how the folks following the lead semi were even remotely "at fault". LOL
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

covered_wagon
Explorer
Explorer
Caveman Charlie wrote:
larry barnhart wrote:

Caveman_Charlie
Explorer
Explorer
larry barnhart wrote:

1993 Cobra Sunrise, 20 foot Travel Trailer.

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Grit dog wrote:
Playing pickup sticks in the road usually serves to bolster oneโ€™s effort in securing loads going forward!

In most cases, I would agree, but this guy had stickers bragging about denying evidence of his eyes, and showing his willingness to repeat past mistakes.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Playing pickup sticks in the road usually serves to bolster oneโ€™s effort in securing loads going forward!

Yes, yesterday was also interesting, driving into Seattle in the brodozer. Almost monster trucked over the front of 1 little car that randomly pulled out of a driveway right in front of me. Luckily they decided to stop about halfway into my lane and I was able to swerve the same amount. They were high or something as after that they passed me and then stopped dead in the right lane for no apparent reason and then took off againโ€ฆ
And not sure how another one didnโ€™t eat my trailer hitch. Steep downhill street in Seattle, light turns red at an intersection. I slow down relatively slowly and come to a stop. Car behind me ended up inches from the hitch according to my backup cam I flipped on! After a panic stop.
I was already fairly close to the car stopped in front of me and couldnโ€™t make room so I clamped down the brakes in case so I wouldnโ€™t get pushed into the car in front of me.
18,000lb drop drawbar would have kept them out from under the truck though!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
I looked at this yesterday, just before I discovered I needed emergency plumbing repairs
Leaving the store with parts I spoke to wife about the way the load of fence pickets in pickup ahead was not secure. Basically said "That strap around tailgate will bend gate, but won't hold snot" By the time he got to bottom of freeway ramp most of the load was on the ground.

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Maybe 3 weeks ago near our house I was 4th in line, me behind a chicken truck when a 80-90ft pine tree came down almost parallel to the road striking the first a new Ford F-350. Lot to this story but the short version is the next car and the truck just drove through the dibreis and went on. We stopped and called 911. The woman was dead and the man was in a coma for several days. A darn tree for heavenโ€™s sakes!

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
One thing I often notice is how far apart cars are.. I was originally taught to leave a 2 second gap (The distance you travel in 2 seconds) then 3 and even 4 with a big rig or on wet/slippery roads.

Used to stand on a bridge (or "Sit" on a camera.. remotely) and go One Thou... as the cars pass (That's about 1/2 second).

Went to the doctor yesterday and at least 4 idiots pulled in 1/2 second in front of my jeep.. I either changed lanes or backed off.. But man I wish we had tailgte enforcement... Sure would cut down on crashes.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Michelle_S
Explorer II
Explorer II
In a near by County at our home base in Western NY, The Troopers will tell you it's better to Hit the Deer than to swerve and possibly kill yourself or total your vehicle.
2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
Dang Chevman... That is always a scary/hairy situation when others are passing.

I've had to adjust my line/speed a couple of times when the passing vehicle didn't time it quite right either.. I also let up on my speed to let them just pass and get as far away from me as they please.

Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110