cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hughes Auto-former/Surge guard

Acampingwewillg
Explorer
Explorer
Well, after many years of having both in my arsenal, I'm finally getting around to installing my portable units inside the storage compartment. In all the years I've had the 50 amp autoformer, I can't say that I'd ever noticed it Hot but they do suggest to mount it in a ventilated compartment? I'm not worried about having to make a vent hole in the fiberglass but I'm looking for some real world experience as to whether it actually needs that or could I place a whisper can close by and keep it uncrowded in the area I put it?

I guess my only real concern making a vent hole is weather incursion into the storage area but I think most vent covers work well or I could get one of those shiny dryer vent covers.
96 Vogue Prima Vista
The Kid's: Humphrie, the Mini Schnauzer and Georgie,wire haired dachshund.
Rainbow Bridge: Laddie,Scoutie,Katie,Cooper,Kodie,Rubie,Maggie, Cassie, Mollie, Elvis, Potter and Rosie Love You! (40+ years in all)
3 REPLIES 3

Acampingwewillg
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all....I guess I'll do it all, vent it, whisper fan and wireless temp gauge!
96 Vogue Prima Vista
The Kid's: Humphrie, the Mini Schnauzer and Georgie,wire haired dachshund.
Rainbow Bridge: Laddie,Scoutie,Katie,Cooper,Kodie,Rubie,Maggie, Cassie, Mollie, Elvis, Potter and Rosie Love You! (40+ years in all)

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
My autoformer gets warm to the touch. I would vent.

I can't speak to the surge guard.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Should be OK w/o any vents but use a wireless thermometer to monitor this summer.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob