Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Chevy 3.0 first tow.
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

 > Chevy 3.0 first tow.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

Senior Member

Joined: 05/06/2013

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 05/31/22 01:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

To be fair, they have a completely different lifter issue and a completely different cylinder management setup than the older AFM engines.

To your point though, yes a similar issue.
Pick your poison between the brands.


2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

Bionic Man

Colorado

Senior Member

Joined: 04/03/2009

View Profile



Posted: 05/31/22 09:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am a big proponent of the small diesels. My EcoDiesel Grand Cherokee was one of my favorite vehicles I have had. If I were buying a 1500 today, it would be a diesel.

One question. Why so slow on the speeds? And your comparisons of being happy it’s 10 MPG, were those at the same speeds?


2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

FishOnOne

The Great State of Texas

Senior Member

Joined: 02/12/2011

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 06/01/22 05:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

GM needs to ditch the internal rubber belt that's on the rear side of the engine. Since they took some internet heat on this design, maybe on the next gen they will go with a traditional chain.


'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs
"250k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"


FishOnOne

The Great State of Texas

Senior Member

Joined: 02/12/2011

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 06/01/22 05:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bionic Man wrote:

I am a big proponent of the small diesels. My EcoDiesel Grand Cherokee was one of my favorite vehicles I have had. If I were buying a 1500 today, it would be a diesel.

One question. Why so slow on the speeds? And your comparisons of being happy it’s 10 MPG, were those at the same speeds?


The 3.0 in the Fords is all but gone and the 3.0 Eco Diesel in the Rams is probably not far behind. I recall predicting these engines will probably not last long in the market and with the next round of emissions standards and diesel fuel prices at a premium that maybe the last straw.

* This post was edited 06/01/22 07:31pm by FishOnOne *

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

Senior Member

Joined: 05/06/2013

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 06/01/22 05:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That’s good mileage for that size trailer, but everything gets good mileage driving that slow.
I get 7-8mpg towing the toyhauler with the brodozer and 7-8 towing a 6klb boat with a new V8 half ton….at 75-80mph.
Drop that to 55-60mph and I’m looking at 11-12 mpg pulling a camper that is double the weight, way taller and with a truck that is the epitome of poor setup for fuel mileage. 7.5’ tall, and under-geared on 37s with a 90hp tune.
It’s all relative, but love folks who like to feel good about their fuel mileage!

Bionic Man

Colorado

Senior Member

Joined: 04/03/2009

View Profile



Posted: 06/01/22 09:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FishOnOne wrote:

Bionic Man wrote:

I am a big proponent of the small diesels. My EcoDiesel Grand Cherokee was one of my favorite vehicles I have had. If I were buying a 1500 today, it would be a diesel.

One question. Why so slow on the speeds? And your comparisons of being happy it’s 10 MPG, were those at the same speeds?


The 3.0 in the Fords is all but gone and the 3.0 Eco Diesel in the Rams is probably not far behind. I recall predicting these engines will probably not last long in the market and with the next round of emissions standards and diesel fuel prices at a premium that maybe the last straw.


The EcoDiesel has been around for nearly 10 years.....

* This post was edited 06/01/22 09:37pm by Bionic Man *

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

Senior Member

Joined: 05/06/2013

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 06/02/22 09:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

^And yet, it never really caught on. Neither has Fords 3.0. Idk why, really.
With the Dodge 3.0, folks in the know would barely recommend them over walking to your destination.
I don’t have any personal experience with any of them but with the EcoD, reliability issues are cited.
And it still doesn’t add up to me considering the 3litre diesel platform is sort of the backbone of light duty diesels almost worldwide.

4x4ord

Alberta

Senior Member

Joined: 12/23/2010

View Profile



Posted: 06/02/22 12:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That fuel economy is amazing. Nice to have a truck you're happy with.


2022 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

LITEPHIL

AZ

Senior Member

Joined: 07/02/2003

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 06/04/22 11:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

That’s good mileage for that size trailer, but everything gets good mileage driving that slow.
I get 7-8mpg towing the toyhauler with the brodozer and 7-8 towing a 6klb boat with a new V8 half ton….at 75-80mph.
Drop that to 55-60mph and I’m looking at 11-12 mpg pulling a camper that is double the weight, way taller and with a truck that is the epitome of poor setup for fuel mileage. 7.5’ tall, and under-geared on 37s with a 90hp tune.
It’s all relative, but love folks who like to feel good about their fuel mileage!

This was a mountain pull with 6 and 7 percent grades. I have been driving the route for 20 years with a 350, two 5.3s, three 6.0s,an 8.1,06 Durmax, and a 06 and 07 Cummins with different trailers and none got better then 10 mpg on the same trip. 50-60 mph is not that slow on steep mountain passes with heavy winds.


2022 Chevy Silverado RST Duramax NHT
1954 Chevy 3100 Carryall 4x4
2008 Salem T23FBL
04 FXDL Harley

LITEPHIL

AZ

Senior Member

Joined: 07/02/2003

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 06/04/22 11:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FishOnOne wrote:

GM needs to ditch the internal rubber belt that's on the rear side of the engine. Since they took some internet heat on this design, maybe on the next gen they will go with a traditional chain.

Why? I have never heard of one failure. 150,000 miles is way down the road and they're saying after 200,000 miles it still looks perfect.
Doubt I'll have this truck more then 10 years and even so, a couple grand isn't a big deal after 10 or 15 years for a maintenance item. Think of these hybrids and what kind of expenses they will incur in ten years. None issue

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

 > Chevy 3.0 first tow.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.