cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Does microwave need to be an "RV" microwave?

RoyF
Explorer
Explorer
My microwave has died at age 14, so I'm looking to replace it.

Question: does the microwave in an RV necessarily have to be an "RV" microwave. (Some microwaves are marketed as "RV microwaves".) Or can I use any residential above-the-range microwave if it fits the hole?

My old microwave was a Domestic, 950 watt, 21 3/4" wide, in a 22" hole.
16 REPLIES 16

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
RoyF wrote:

Question: does the microwave in an RV necessarily have to be an "RV" microwave. (Some microwaves are marketed as "RV microwaves".)

I've never seen an Microwave labeled as an "RV Microwave".

There are brands of microwaves that you only see on RVs and not at Home Depot or your favorite appliance store. High Pointe is one that comes to mind.

On High Pointe, and likely other microwaves used by RV OEMs, the case is set up so you can attach a mounting flange to it to which holds it in a cabinet. Other than that, a microwave is a microwave is a microwave.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
RoyF wrote:

Question: does the microwave in an RV necessarily have to be an "RV" microwave. (Some microwaves are marketed as "RV microwaves".) Or can I use any residential above-the-range microwave if it fits the hole?

My old microwave was a Domestic, 950 watt, 21 3/4" wide, in a 22" hole.

did you look to see if it could be repaird first. mine wasnt that old but it died , a new RV one was 450.00 couldnt find one that was the right size that I could just screw the trim to, so found a local apliance repair who does diagnostics for 50 bucks. then if you get the work done they take that off the total. for mine it ended up being a cheep plug they just replaced and it is back in service for 59 bucks.

Steve
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

JimJohnson
Explorer
Explorer
No longer a thread on microwave ovens, but here is my two-bits on new RVs & TVs... We just bought a brand new 2022 low-end travel trailer easily towed by our SUV for weekend camping and our semi-annual cross-country march. (our primary RV now stays year-round at our winter home RV park).
The 2022 rig had an antenna, wall mounting space for a TV - but no TV. No shelves in the cabinets, no place to hang a towel or any similar frills for that matter. I've been on a first name basis with our UPS driver over the past two weeks given all the little boxes I've ordered.

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
I was shopping new rv's last week. All had tv's in them.
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
When was the last time you looked? You can ask them to put a TV in...for an extra charge but most come without.

Furrion....that bastion of quality?
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Camper445
Explorer
Explorer
When did the RV Industry stop providing TV's? Every one I have purchased came with a TV. Most every one I look at on dealers lots or at RV shows comes with a TV. Why would they care regardless? It would fall under the TV manufacturer warranty like every other item in or on the RV. Appliances, tires, frame, running gear etc. The RV manufacturer warrants about 15% of the total.

Furrion claims their TVs are vibration resistant and have coated electronics to make them more capable of taking humidity and temperature changes. Do you believe that? My experience with 2 of them tells me they're cheap junk, but you'll find them in tens of thousands of RV's as they are associated with Lippert.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
JimJohnson wrote:
RV specific microwaves may be built with a little higher vibration tolerance, but I have plenty of non-RV specific appliances that work just fine.

I would be shocked. I know the RV industry stopped providing TVs because they were a huge warrantee hassle as they are just cheap stock TVs and no one builds them for vibration tolerance. I doubt anyone is making $50 microwaves with extra vibration tolerance.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Camper445
Explorer
Explorer
JimJohnson wrote:
RV specific microwaves may be built with a little higher vibration tolerance

LOL, not at all. At least from the high quality RV specific brands such as Furrion, High Pointe, Contoure, Magic Chef, and the others. All low grade junk.

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
theoldwizard1 wrote:
They cost a lot more money, but inverter microwaves use less power.

not really. I have a regular one in the house and a panasonic inverter in each of my trailers. Physics and electronics determines power draw. For the same output power, line draw is virtually the same. Total power draw likely varies between different units, but not enough to really care about.

Now the inverter units when running at less than 100% output will draw less peak power than non inverter, total watt-hours likely remains pretty much the same. The inverter units power draw at less than 100% is pretty linear decrease between 100% and about 20%. Below 20% it is non linear partially due to the overhead draw for control.

Now there are THREE advantages (at least) to the inverter microwaves from panasonic.
1) for power settings below 100% power doesn't cycle between 0% and 100% so if running of a generator you don't have the generator cycling up and down
2) I've found the constant X% power for defrosting, warming etc. to do a better job than the cycling power units
3) I can run my 1200W inverter microwave off my 1000VA true sine inverter. At 50% power setting it draws about 800VA and runs nicely off the inverter. And at 50% power it doesn't take twice as long as 100% to reheat something. Don't need to fire up the generator to run the microwave for a few minutes to heat something.

And to the OP question. I've run "home" microwaves in both my trailers since 2004. They work fine as long as you get one that can fit in the spot. And they are lower cost.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
They cost a lot more money, but inverter microwaves use less power.

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
No

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
No. Any MW will do as long as you can fit it in there and fake up the vents. You can drill holes and screw on the vent surround that came with the RV to any MW that size.
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

navigator2346
Explorer
Explorer
A microwave doesn't know where it is installed and doesn't care

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Any microwave in a storm.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.