cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Modify standard bathroom roof vent for shorter people

JimJohnson
Explorer
Explorer
My spouse is 5'2" and cannot reach the vent knob or fan switch in either our larger travel trailer with vaulted ceiling, or in our small SUV towable camper. Here is how I modified the vent without using some kind of stick you have to store.

For the fan, I installed a 12v wireless relay just under the vent cover. It does require snipping the fan wires between the fan motor and the switch - but even that is easily reversible. QIACHIP DC 12V 1CH 433Mhz RF Wireless Relay Remote Control While there are two remotes, I only used one and Velcroed it to the wall next to the bathroom light switch.

Opening & closing the vent is even more straightforward if you have a round knob. Remove the knob (should be just one screw) and take it to your local hardware store. Find a Fernco in the plumbing section (rubber pipe to join two pipes) with one end just big enough to get over your knob; and the other end just big enough to fit over a short length of PVC pipe. If you want something a bit nicer, look for the furniture grade PVC pipe and one of the matching end caps.

Mount the vent knob in one end of the Fernco so that the edge of the knob is just covered and tighten the band clamp. Insert the knob screw through the Fernco into the knob and reattach the knob to the vent.

Have your shortest person stand flat footed and reach up for the vent knob. Measure the gap between the bottom of the person's palm and about two inches up inside the Fernco. That's how long the PVC needs to be after you cut it.

Wet the inside of the rubber Fernco. Wet the end of the PVC going into the Fernco with water and just a tiny bit of dish soap. Sort of screw the PVC into the Fernco for the distance you you previously measured inside the Frenco. While still wet, have the person you used for measurement double check s/he can comfortably reach around the PVC extension.

Here is the trick... you may not need to use the band clamp to secure the PVC. When that water evaporates and leaves a trace of dried dish soap, there should be sufficient friction to keep the PVC in place during use. If you are the doubting type, go ahead and install the band clamp. It will make your knob extension just a trifle uglier, but it will be fully secured.

One nice part about the Fernco is if a taller person accidently walks into the PVC part, the Fernco will flex some and minimize the damage.
2 REPLIES 2

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
Exactly! Just have her stand on something. We have one of those fold- out stools that DW needs to reach the top cupboards in the RV already, so how hard is it to use that in the bathroom?
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

mike-uswest
Explorer
Explorer
I just got a portable stool that folds up and keep it in the bathroom. We also have one by the bed. My wife is only 4'10" now and shrinking.

Mike
2019 Ram 2500 TCD, 4X4,
Arctic Fox 25Y 30'