Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Dinghy Towing: Bad sway from Toad
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing  >  Vehicles

> Bad sway from Toad

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
BurbMan

Indianapolis, IN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/28/22 05:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My neighbor just got a 2021 Jayco Greyhawk 27U Class C (I think that's the model) and is trying to set up his F-150 4WD crew cab as his toad.

Not sure what equipment he went with but reported that he needed to install Rough Country coilovers in the front of the F-150 for a 2" lift to get the baseplate and associated stuff to fit OK.

First test drive he said the F-150 was swaying so bad behind the MH that he couldn't get over 45 mph. Like a trailer loaded too heavy behind the axles.

He said he installed Sumo springs and a HD sway bar in the back of the MH, and today's test trip he said he got to 65 mph but didn't feel good about it. Truck just doesn't feel stable behind the MH. Mind you, he had the F-150 aligned after the front lift install and it drives great and tracks straight on its own.

My neighbor's ready to bail on the 150 and get a CRV for a toad, but thought maybe the wise folks here might have some additional things to check. Never heard of a toad having sway issues like that. I don't have any experience with either MHs or toads, but thought I would ask here and try to help him out. Is it possible the truck is just too big to be towed behind this short WB MH?

bgum

South Louisiana

View Profile

Posted: 05/28/22 07:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Your last sentence or question is likely the problem.

RetiredRealtorRick

St. Augustine Beach, FL

View Profile

Posted: 05/29/22 04:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That's a big truck with a long wheelbase to be towed behind a relatively short wheelbase Class C. I think his "option B" will work out much better.

. . . never confuse education with intelligence

Lwiddis

Cambria, California area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/29/22 10:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Having a long wheelbase on a towing vehicle, be it a MH, truck or SUV, is a seldom considered necessity.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

zigzagrv

Nazareth, PA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/29/22 04:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BurbMan wrote:

Is it possible the truck is just too big to be towed behind this short WB MH?

Yes! ^^^^^^^^

Ron

2003 Gulf Stream Ultra Supreme 33'
F53 Class A
2013 Ford Edge toad

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 05/29/22 04:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So, honest question, as I’ve only flat towed a little Jeep.
But what is the difference between the setup mentioned here and say towing a full size truck on a dolly behind another full size truck? A dolly is just basically a substitute front axle, right? Tow vehicle is experiencing basically the same thing as a flat tow?
Because the scenario I mentioned isn’t automatically bad because the towed is same wheelbase as the tow rig.

In other words, I have my doubts it’s inherently a wheelbase thing?

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

Y-Guy

Tri-Cities, WA

View Profile

Posted: 05/29/22 05:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sounds odd, the rating for the RV hitch is 7500# so it's adequate on that spec. The RV is 30' with 185" wheelbase.

Do you know if the towbar was level when hooked up? Without knowing what equipment is being used it's all just pure speculation, but I'm thinking the tow bar setup is the area I'd be looking at.

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J
2011 Jeep Wrangler

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 05/29/22 05:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Y-Guy wrote:

Sounds odd, the rating for the RV hitch is 7500# so it's adequate on that spec. The RV is 30' with 185" wheelbase.

Do you know if the towbar was level when hooked up? Without knowing what equipment is being used it's all just pure speculation, but I'm thinking the tow bar setup is the area I'd be looking at.

I agree and why I asked the question above (semi tongue in cheek). As the rvnet trailering police already “diagnosed” some bull-cheese about wheelbase and the crowd was beginning to pile on, when that isn’t the inherent issue.
(For all we know 4th hand info, the guy towing might just be afraid of every little bobble or it might be a real issue)

BurbMan

Indianapolis, IN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/29/22 06:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Does the tow bar need to be level? Could that cause the sway he is experiencing?

Y-Guy

Tri-Cities, WA

View Profile

Posted: 05/29/22 11:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BurbMan it should be as level as possible when setting the combo up. I've read various articles and I can't say for certain that being unlevel would cause the sway. This article does a fairly good job explaining why being level matters. This video from Demco says it should be level or within 3" in either direction.

My first tow out with our setup I was hyper nervous and getting used how the Jeep felt behind me and watching the camera, but I was the same first time out with our ATV trailer and boat. I did see some minor sway if I hit a pothole with the Jeep but it quickly recovered each time. You might offer to follow behind your friend to see if you see sway as he tows it.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing  >  Vehicles

> Bad sway from Toad
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.