cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rivan truck tow vehicle

Tal_IL
Explorer
Explorer
Just got home from 4 days at Indy. This rig was just a few spaces down in the lot. Towed from Virginia to Indy. He did say it was a bit of a challenge finding charging stations, but there are a couple of apps that help.

35 miles from Normal, IL. As close to normal as I'll ever be.

2006 Country Coach Inspire Genoa 40ft
64 REPLIES 64

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
^Only person I know who’s had an actual IQ test. (Or the rest who have are too embarrassed to say or too polite to brag about it…lol)

I also can't recall why I volunteered to this research, academic and career counseling exercise.

But I'm glad I did. Otherwise, I would have followed the career path of my other siblings into engineering or rocket science, lol, because of the math dominant brain of my dad who taught college physics. it actually found out I have an undisciplined mind not made for rote learning and the progressive steps in doing long calculations and computations.

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:

First battery was made by the Parthians around 250 BC.

The first rockets were by the Chinese around 1000 AD.

Of course, the time frames for both suggest the idea that because "you want it more", doesn't mean it will suddenly happen in the next 5yrs.

And even if there is a major break thru, putting it into production can easily take another 20yrs and reaching mass market penetration can be another 20yrs.

Me thinks pips are missing the point here.

My posit is that discoveries, science and tech developments are not just linear and can flat line or go exponential as society saw opportunity or had to address a looming crisis, ie, the short development cycle for Covid vaccine which typically takes a decade, computers, iPhone, EVs, sola/allternativer energy.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Yosemite Sam1 wrote:

First concept of rocket propulsion 200 BC. First rocket out into orbit, 1957. How many years is that, err, centuries.

So whose faster in development? Never mind the term "leaps and bounds" which seems to put your panty into a wad.:o

First battery was made by the Parthians around 250 BC.

The first rockets were by the Chinese around 1000 AD.

Of course, the time frames for both suggest the idea that because "you want it more", doesn't mean it will suddenly happen in the next 5yrs.

And even if there is a major break thru, putting it into production can easily take another 20yrs and reaching mass market penetration can be another 20yrs.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
propchef wrote:
I'll just leave this here. It weighs more than a bicycle.

There are two key aspects of a vehicle that drive power needs:
- Weight
- Aerodynamics.

These solar vehicles are still kept incredibly light but the bigger impact is they are worlds better aerodynamically compared to a bicycle.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Yosemite Sam1 wrote:
Of course jenius!:W Even the real genius, Allbert Einstein said "I have tried 99 times and have failed, but on the 100th time came success."

And the other folks who weren't "an Einstein" tried and failed 100 times.

You are looking at the exception and assuming it's common and repeatable.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^Only person I know who’s had an actual IQ test. (Or the rest who have are too embarrassed to say or too polite to brag about it…lol)
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
Turtle n Peeps wrote:

My point is you're a little slow and need an education...

Take a deep breath and calm down dude. No need to insult my intelligence and eduction.

You may have a high education, but you can do math, correlation and ratio-proportion?:?

Ok, do the math here First electric car, 1890. After aa hiatus, battery operated car, 1997. How many years in between is that?

First concept of rocket propulsion 200 BC. First rocket out into orbit, 1957. How many years is that, err, centuries.

So whose faster in development? Never mind the term "leaps and bounds" which seems to put your panty into a wad.:o

And by the way, as to education, I have post-graduate units. As to professional accomplishments I was executive of multinational-global company. As to intelligence, it was measured that my IQ is in the top 2% of all of the people in the world.:W

But I admit, my only knowledge of electricity is limited to electric fan (cleaning it), electric shaver (where I can change it's battery and know if it's already weak). And electric chair, that I want to add to my array of home furnitures.:E

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
Yosemite Sam1 wrote:
What's your point pips?

First rocket principles was 200 BC. First rocket to go outside of earth atmosphere was 1957. And in a little more than a decade we were able to send men to land on the moon (well, except for you pips who thought it was staged).:R

My point is you're a little slow and need an education if you think that battery cars were impossible 25 years ago. Electric car were invented almost 200 years ago. They failed because of Energy Density....the same problem they have today. LI battery's made it better, but lets be honest....ED is still bad for battery powered vehicles.

If you want to learn, look at the link I gave you and see how far LI batteries are from diesel or even gas and then you will discover Tusks over the road semi is a fantasy with "current LI batteries."

Cars? Yes, it will work for "some people." (I own an electric car and it works for me because it's a PIHB. I get 630 miles when full) For a pickup? Maybe, depending on how you use your pickup. This is a towing forum. Most of the people in the US it will not work for because of energy density and how big of a trailer they tow. OTR semi....nope.......not even close. ED is not there.
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

nickthehunter
Nomad II
Nomad II
Yosemite Sam1 wrote:
Ain't you glad JFK did not get these people in his moon shot project?

But Mr President, math is hard and you want us to do rocket science.

I remember that skeptics and the naysayers about the mobile phone, mini computers, battery powered cars and solar homes.

Ok, they are still around shooting down every high tech concepts out there riding into the sunset in their horse drawn wagons.:o
EV’s will have to be able to stand on their own or they’re doomed. Punishing ICE vehicles is not the way to stand on your own and to convince the masses to jump on board. The current powers have decided to punish the masses, soon they will reap what the sow. Why? Because EV’s are not quit ready for prime time. If they would of chosen to spend their capital in making the EV a better choice instead of punishing those who choose to stick with their ICE, they probably wouldn’t be staring down the tsunami about to bury them.

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
What's your point pips?

First rocket principles was 200 BC. First rocket to go outside of earth atmosphere was 1957. And in a little more than a decade we were able to send men to land on the moon (well, except for you pips who thought it was staged).:R

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
Yosemite Sam1 wrote:
Raise your hands and feet and admit it that some just 25 years ago you and other naysayers said,100% battery or electric car is impossible?

Aaaaaaa news flash. Electric car WERE the first cars! They beat ICE cars by many years. Back then, like now, energy density is a problem. YS, sounds like you need a history lesson in cars. The history of electric cars.

outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
"Why do you think solar panels achieved 25% efficiency In so short a time? No research and R&D? That it just fell from the sky like manna from heaven or gift from the gods?"

I guess it depends on what you call "so short a time". After all solar cells have been around for almost 70 years.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:

For the other items, the math works. For every exception, the naysayers are right 99 times.

Of course jenius!:W Even the real genius, Allbert Einstein said "I have tried 99 times and have failed, but on the 100th time came success."

Why do you think solar panels achieved 25% efficiency In so short a time? No research and R&D? That it just fell from the sky like manna from heaven or gift from the gods?

Where do you think the breakthrough in science, discovery and technology came from? Dreamers with brains and boldness, of course. Not from the naysayers and defeatists saying, it can't be done, it is hard, can I just take a nap?

Raise your hands and feet and admit it that some just 25 years ago you and other naysayers said,100% battery or electric car is impossible?

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:
Yosemite Sam1 wrote:
Ain't you glad JFK did not get these people in his moon shot project?

But Mr President, math is hard and you want us to do rocket science.

I remember that skeptics and the naysayers about the mobile phone, mini computers, battery powered cars and solar homes.

Ok, they are still around shooting down every high tech concepts out there riding into the sunset in their horse drawn wagons.:o

Differences...You think someone didn't run some numbers before JFK went before the microphone. At the time rocket technology was advancing by leaps and bounds...and they were willing to accept people dying to say they were first.

For the other items, the math works. For every exception, the naysayers are right 99 times.

Solar panels and batteries are not new technology and they have been trying for decades (first electric car was in the late 1800's). So again what earth shattering advance has been made that's ready to come to market now?

I'm still waiting for Moller's M400 flying car.. i wish he would hurry up because I have been waiting since the 80's.

I have also been waiting for Ford's Nucleon. Man, then I would have to fill up only once in my lifetime. No waiting at the pump you know!

BTW I'm still waiting for a new battery that crapped out in my electric car. They said another 3 months wait and it's already been 3 months. So a half a year without my car. Nice hu?

outside the fire"