cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Rv Covers

scout_dad
Explorer
Explorer
Hello, I have a question about rv covers as to how good they protect roofs? I looking to get a another trailer either new or used, I haven't been able to find a covered lot space and on waiting list at several sites. I know it would be a pain maybe to put on take off, with that said to they protect roofs from the elements, sun, hail, water etc..
anyone have actual knowledge they could pass on? Thanks
15 REPLIES 15

C_Schomer
Explorer
Explorer
My neighbor inAz. Never got more than 2-1/2 years out of his more expensive adco covers because of the wind and he finally stopped covering his Rv. But they sure do help protect. Craig
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW CCLB 4wd, custom hauler bed.
2008 Sunnybrook Titan 30 RKFS Morryde and Disc brakes
WILL ROGERS NEVER MET JOE BIDEN!

dedmiston
In the storage yard where I keep my fiver you can tell the rigs that used to have covers because of the tie-died arcs scraped onto the sides. The wind shreds the cover and then the shreds flap and kill the finish.

Every time I see a new cover go up, I make a mental note and then check on them throughout the year. It never ends well.

There's usually collateral damage to the rigs on either side too. If either of my neighbors ever put on a cover I'd ask management to assign me to a different space.

So I agree with Grit that they're a regional thing. And in some regions they do more harm than good.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^There are plenty of parts of the country where itโ€™s a constant struggle to keep a cover from tearing itself to shreds and repeated buffering by the wind. Western WA is go really not one of those areas.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Thermoguy
Explorer II
Explorer II
scout dad wrote:
Thanks for the info, I should be clear that I will using them not only during the winter but all year long. My current trailer has a roof leak, I only wanted something to help prolong the life of roof when a under covered spot.

I have used a cover every winter since I purchased my trailer and the original owner used one also. The first summer owning my trailer I found a roof leak. Had it fixed, or so I thought, came home, covered it for the winter. Checked multiple times to insure it wasn't getting wet. All good, opened it up to go camping and on the first trip, had water in the same area as before. The cover kept the trailer from getting wet. Went back to the repair shop and after a day or so, they found an area under the fridge vent that was allowing water to get in. They fixed it and haven't had water inside since. But, I check the roof constantly.

I also disagree with the comments about chafing, paint rub, etc. Make sure the cover is a good one and is tight, use the belly straps. I have a couple tears, but the cover is 6 years old now. The only real issue is the rain gutters. I just bough new ones because using the cover, I have destroyed the old ones. $10 for a new set of 4.

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
scout dad wrote:
I can't tell where is leak is coming from, water flows understand that, it seems to ending at the seam strip across the middle of room, almost center of window, I have looked but don't see any tears or rips or ? Unless it is a not visible ? Have TPO roof

Normal maintenance calls for you to inspect and re-caulk every seam and penetration in the roof every 12 mos if not every 6 mos. I do mine every 6 mos and re-caulk all the seams.

Get yourself a couple of tubes of Dicor self leveling caulk and clean and re-caulk all your roof seams and penetrations. You may not actually find the culprit leak but my guess is it would get fixed in the process.

Water is the biggest killer to RV's and causes a myriad of issues, many of which can't be seen. And then there's the collateral effects like mold.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

scout_dad
Explorer
Explorer
I can't tell where is leak is coming from, water flows understand that, it seems to ending at the seam strip across the middle of room, almost center of window, I have looked but don't see any tears or rips or ? Unless it is a not visible ? Have TPO roof

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
scout dad wrote:
Thanks for the info, I should be clear that I will using them not only during the winter but all year long. My current trailer has a roof leak, I only wanted something to help prolong the life of roof when a under covered spot.

You should fix your roof and not have to rely on a cover. Cover's aren't waterproof anyway. They breathe. While I have no idea what sort of leak you have, Dicor is cheaper and easier to apply than a cover. And you don't have continually put it on and take it off.

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
scout dad wrote:

quality covers are NOT waterproof, they "breath" both ways. you want moisture to escape and trying to get a cover that won't let water through to the "inside" would be prohibitively expensive. It will keep down the amount of water going through but it won't stop it.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

scout_dad
Explorer
Explorer

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
Covers can do well to protect your RV under certain circumstances. It's a sacrificial layer but not without their cons. They are a pain to put on and worse to take off especially if they are wet. They can rub paint and contact points can scratch. And storing them while you use your RV is challenging, and again, worse when wet. I used one for a while until it tore and became too much of a hassle. Too many times I wanted to use my RV and there was snow on it or it was wet and then the problem eclipsed the advantages. Frankly I find it easier to wax my rv every 6 mos and maintain the roof. Plus where we live in the coastal South, covers do more to attract mildew, bugs and tree frogs under the cover than they do to protect the RV. To each his own. I bet there are more folks out there who tried covers and gave up than people that continually use them.

And they won't really protect from hail. They are a paper thin breathable material.

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Your worst enemy is going to be chafe. Add an extra layer on corners by taping folded terry towel over the corners to protect from the rubbing.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
we have a community RV lot. It's real easy to know which trailers have had covers on them when not in use for an extended period of time. Decals aren't all wrinkled, trim isn't yellow, sides are still reasonably glossy, not many black streaks....
yes, they are kind of a pain to install and store, but do help keep the trailer looking good. And in the summer it does help keep the interior cooler
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

mdcamping
Explorer
Explorer
I have used rv covers for the past 17 yrs. Mostly adco brand which I have found to stand up a little better to weather in general. Cover goes on in late OCT and off in early april. I think it helps, makes a barrier between snow & ice and helps keep the trailer cleaner. IMO

Mike
2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost 4X4 Supercrew GCWR 19,500 157WB
Payload 2476 Maxtow 13,800 3.73 Equalizer 4 Pt Sway Hitch
2017 Jayco Jay Flight 24RBS
Old TV, 07 Toyota Tacoma, Double Cab, Factory Tow Pkg, retired towing at 229K. (Son now owns truck)

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Agree, not handy for frequent off and on changes but they work. I cleaned the grungy roof on a 4 year old trailer we bought last year. It looks good after being covered for the last 8 months and rain most of the time.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold