Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Anyone Cancelling Truck Camper Trips Due to Fuel Prices?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Anyone Cancelling Truck Camper Trips Due to Fuel Prices?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next
MrPhelps

Huntsville, AL

View Profile

Posted: 06/04/22 04:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well that settles it for me! I was wondering. From these responses, everyone is still traveling and the crowds are going to be terrible again in spite of massive increases in fuel costs with potential shortages. I thought the cost of fuel would suppress travel and record RV travel might be a bit lower.. From these responses it seems that is not the case.

If the reports of possible fuel shortages and $10/gal are true, will that change the narrative?

We have recently taken extended exploration summer trips (6-8 weeks) where we stay no longer than 3 avg days per location, thus lots of fuel.. Alabama-->Montana range trips.

So, about a 500 mile radius from home limit this year .

Brad, thanks for the thread.

- 2018 RAM 3500 Laramie DRW
- 2018 Host Cascade Dual Slide

notsobigjoe

southeast

View Profile

Posted: 06/04/22 07:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MrPhelps wrote:

Well that settles it for me! I was wondering. From these responses, everyone is still traveling and the crowds are going to be terrible again in spite of massive increases in fuel costs with potential shortages. I thought the cost of fuel would suppress travel and record RV travel might be a bit lower.. From these responses it seems that is not the case.

If the reports of possible fuel shortages and $10/gal are true, will that change the narrative?

We have recently taken extended exploration summer trips (6-8 weeks) where we stay no longer than 3 avg days per location, thus lots of fuel.. Alabama-->Montana range trips.

So, about a 500 mile radius from home limit this year .

Brad, thanks for the thread.

Yeah I agree with you on the radius. We have greatly limited our travels to about 2-4 hours because of fuel and other considerations. My truck and camper are getting very old and not so reliable. I think the wife and I are looking at a TT very seriously now as well. We've been looking for about two years but not seriously. Now I catch her looking on the computer so who knows what's in the future. My 1996 Chevy dually gets about 5-8 with the camper on I think I can double that with a small trailer behind my 2013 dodge 1500 with a small block. They make tow behinds specifically for this type of truck and they are beautiful. Paper thin but beautiful. My wife just said if were putting all the money in the tank maybe we can do better and put all the money in the camper.

We are looking at this model here.

https://lakeland.craigslist.org/rvd/d/auburndale-2020-forest-river-mini-lite/7491911168.html

2020 FOREST RIVER MINI LITE 2512S

Of course I'll have to beef it up a little!

MORSNOW

Mountain Home, ID

View Profile

Posted: 06/04/22 07:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We just completed a 5,795 mile twelve state trip to visit family and friends whom we haven't seen in years. The extra gas cost was worth every penny, even when only averaging 9mpg with the winds and multiple mountain pass crossings in the west. There is no guarantee for tomorrow.

2014 Wolf Creek 850SB
2012 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD

7,220# Truck/10,400# Camper Fully Loaded

jimh406

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 06/04/22 07:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

jimh406 wrote:

The polls are saying most people don't think they are doing well now. I can't think of any reason why some would think that most people are doing well now. Maybe they aren't paying attention.

Perception vs reality are often different.

It feels bad when you drop $100 filling the tank vs the $50 you paid a year ago. So people perceive things as bad.

That doesn’t seem very different. If you are making a lot more money than a year before, that’s great.

However, most people including retired people aren’t getting 100% pay raises. In those cases, perception and reality are the same.

Of course, you can argue that it is all part of a good plan, but many people don’t agree that it’s a good plan.

Note: it’s not about me. I’m doing ok. However, the people who are living paycheck to paycheck are not.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Air Bags, Toyo M655 225/19.5 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/04/22 09:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JoeChiOhki wrote:

Haven't started any yet, but burning through about 90 gallons or so of fuel a week since the old Dodge had to resume Daily Driver Status.

The camper kind of was built with a double purpose in mind, one of which was potentially as a "stay in town" solution if I needed to cut my commute costs for a while by staying in the camper and floating around near by my work place during the week days and then heading home for the weekend.

Since its been ten years since I last camped anywhere, I'm not currently planning to cut back on anything, since nothing is in stone yet, more concerned with shortages vs fuel prices and the resulting hyper price spikes it may cause for regular consumables.

I may also speak with my manager about seeing if I can get approved for a "workcation" model for periods of time since we have our Star Link RV unit now, which means as long as I can get it some sky I can get online with decent enough latency to do my job remotely for a change.

But you’re not actually trying to camp, nor save $ on fuel. Neither in the least.
And apparently not this year either. So I can understand your lack of concern for fuel prices.
If you were, you wouldn’t be commuting in an old gasser dually forever.

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

Durb

NW

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/04/22 09:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We belong to an RV club. Many of our members are on fixed income. Six rigs were going to Yellowstone this summer (1,000 miles each way), all cancelled. I don't totally believe those that say they are going no matter what the cost is. I go at 60 cents per mile, but have my limits. When it gets up to a dollar or two or three per mile, I will stay closer to home. Spending five grand on fuel to go out the exhaust pipe seems like a waste of money that that could be spent on camping enjoyment locally. We are fortunate to have really nice places to go close by.

In 18 months since November 2020 the price of diesel has gone up 272% in my area. At this rate of increase, in another year and a half, diesel will be over 15$ per gallon. I don't believe it will happen, but that is the trajectory.

monkey44

Cape Cod, MA and Central Fla

View Profile

Posted: 06/04/22 10:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Fuel prices ain't the half of it. We just got an insurance renewal quote for two mid-sized SUVs and a 2500HD. Almost $5000 for one year, up from $3600 last year. and up from $1900 the year before. So, even staying home cost 30% more even if you don't drive anywhere.

That one blew my sox off ... gotta shop around again. Now we gotta pay for new sox AND high fuel and insurance.

Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic

otrfun

On The Road

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/04/22 01:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RetiredRealtorRick wrote:

ReneeG wrote:

RetiredRealtorRick wrote:

ReneeG wrote:

One way to save is to use your gas CC. Sinclair gives you .10 off per gallon using the card and Chevron gives you .05 off per gallon and .02 credit on your overall bill. You can see that we always use Sinclair right now.
Get the Upside app. Locally I have never gotten less than 14 cents per gallon back. Has been as high as 32 cents. Check it out. Our adult son got us hooked up with it just a few months ago, and the cash adds up quickly.
Thank you!
You're quite welcome. Anyone not taking advantage of this app is missing out big time!! Yesterday the Shell station on the beach where I usually buy gas was 24 cents per gallon cash back with the Upside app. [emoticon]
Never heard of Upside till you mentioned it, thanks!

Noticed the bonus amounts change several times a day. There's only 5 or 6 convenience stores that currently participate in Upside in our area (all the same chain). Right now, one store is offering a .31 bonus for every gal of diesel. They're currently charging $5.00 for diesel, so net is $4.69---not bad. FWIW, a nearby Pilot Travel Center along the freeway is currently charging $5.55 for diesel.

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/04/22 01:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jimh406 wrote:

valhalla360 wrote:

jimh406 wrote:

The polls are saying most people don't think they are doing well now. I can't think of any reason why some would think that most people are doing well now. Maybe they aren't paying attention.

Perception vs reality are often different.

It feels bad when you drop $100 filling the tank vs the $50 you paid a year ago. So people perceive things as bad.

That doesn’t seem very different. If you are making a lot more money than a year before, that’s great.

However, most people including retired people aren’t getting 100% pay raises. In those cases, perception and reality are the same.

Of course, you can argue that it is all part of a good plan, but many people don’t agree that it’s a good plan.

Note: it’s not about me. I’m doing ok. However, the people who are living paycheck to paycheck are not.

Retirees make up a small percentage of the population...and even those got something like a 6-7% jump in SS. (overall inflation is no where close to 100%).

But those working even at the lower levels generally are getting sizable pay increases or moving to higher paying jobs in droves.

Of course, if the inflation keeps up, eventually reality will catch up with perception but right now, there are jobs and money for those who want it. It just feels bad when those gains are canceled out by inflation.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

RetiredRealtorRick

St. Augustine Beach, FL

View Profile

Posted: 06/04/22 01:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

monkey44 wrote:

Fuel prices ain't the half of it. We just got an insurance renewal quote for two mid-sized SUVs and a 2500HD. Almost $5000 for one year, up from $3600 last year. and up from $1900 the year before. So, even staying home cost 30% more even if you don't drive anywhere.

That one blew my sox off ... gotta shop around again. Now we gotta pay for new sox AND high fuel and insurance.

If the increase in your car insurance blew your socks off, brace yourself for the homeowner's increases that are lurking just around the corner.

With home prices (notice I didn't say 'values') skyrocketing like they are, count on your insurance premium increasing somewhere north of 50%, and probably a lot more.

If your home was valued at $300,000 a year ago (for example), it's probably $500,000 now -- maybe more. Don't think the insurance companies are still going to let you insure for the lower values.

But, you won't be the only one to suffer from sticker shock upon receipt of your HO insurance bill (if that's any consolation).

. . . never confuse education with intelligence

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Anyone Cancelling Truck Camper Trips Due to Fuel Prices?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.