Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Turn Your Regular Grill into a Smoker - Easy

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
Turn Your Regular Grill Into a Smoker in 5 Easy Steps
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus
11 REPLIES 11

liamricci
Explorer
Explorer
I don't like too much smoke as well and that's why prefer to use am electric smoker. This website has a lot of useful reviews of different models and also useful tips how to choose the best smoker for yourself. I am going to order myself one next months and have a perfect present for my birthday. Still didn't decide it on the brand, choosing between Pit Boss and Traeger.

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
Soak, yes if I'm doing a long smoke of more than an hour. Soaking helps the chips last a little longer and makes steam with the smoke.

I don't get wood chips from companies. There's apple groves where we buy our apples and they sell apple wood chips from old trees that had to be replaced.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins

Magnus

propchef
Explorer
Explorer
Nice. Do you soak your wood chips? I stopped doing that years ago and I know its somewhat controversial among some cooks.

Has anyone used the flavored chips from Kingsford? I can't bring myself to buy any of those

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
I bought a smoker box similar to the one from the article and like it. Mine is cheaper by Char Broil. I like the fact that I can use chips and not be limited to pellets like the other smoker tubes.

We perfer a little less smoke than some people do so it works pretty good plus it's portable for our small mh.

Magnus

Riley_White
Explorer
Explorer
Wow, that's useful. I like all such DIY transformations

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
It works and will add a bit of smoke, but its not as good as a smoker. I hace herd of those tubs and they seem to be a good idea also. So, maybe good whild camping. But at home , the pellet smoker is so easy!
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

Redcatcher70
Explorer
Explorer
I have been doing this for several years, on a gas and charcoal grill. Nice way to do ribs, chicken, Cornish hens, and even meat loaf. I don't really recommend doing large pieces of meat like a whole brisket, large pork butt, or 20 lb. Turkey unless you use a gas grill where you can regulate the temp.
Using a charcoal grill with large pieces of meat, and trying to regulate a low temp takes too much babysitting the grill, JMHO.....
Dave & Pat
2008 Hi-Lo 19T
2004 F250, XLT Crew Cab, V10, finally, enough power!
"No kids, no pets, made it to retirement"

dieseltruckdriv
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have one of these at home for cold smoking cheese etc. and one in the 5er that we use with our Weber Q120.

LizzQ smoker tube.

Filled with wood pellets ours lasts around 5 hours. I use less for shorter smoke times. Fire it up for a while before starting your food, and they get great results.

Just a tip from experience, if you are going to cold smoke some cheese in a Weber Q100/1000 size grill, build a foil heat shield to protect the cheese from the radiated heat in the small space.
2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

folivier
Explorer
Explorer
I've been using a Carpathen smoker tube for a few years now and it works fantastic with pellets to produce lots of smoke. There are many different brands out there.

Cool! I'd like to try that, looks and sounds tasty.
Thanks for posting.
2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ Dmax/Allison - 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS
RV Rebuild Website - Site launched Aug 22, 2021 - www.rv-rebuild.com

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Interesting. TY for posting.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad