cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Running a/c off generator while towing

Trent1980
Explorer
Explorer
Hello, new to forum, have had camper for 6 months, 4 trips in it. From south Louisiana, it's hot! Was wondering if anybody runs ac off generator while towing to location? Any help or info would be appreciated! Thanks!
29 REPLIES 29

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Trent1980 wrote:
I was going to mount generator in the back on the bumper,

I've yet to find a travel trailer bumper that will support that kind of weight.

Some of the hitches on TTs also won't support much more than a cargo basket full of stuff, or a bike rack and bikes.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Trent1980 wrote:
PhilipB wrote:
Yes we do run A/C when travelling if we feel it's needed. But we have a toy hauler with built in Onan.

I wish I did, we have a lil 21 ft. Camper

Assuming they didn't downsize the air/con, should cool off very quickly compared to a 13.5btu air/con in a 28-32ft RV.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Thermoguy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Grit dog wrote:
Thermoguy wrote:
It's nice to live in a climate where I will never have to think about this...

And apparently never camp away from the coastal PNW during the summer?

Camp on the east side, Idaho and MT, but have never considered it to hot to need to run AC while traveling. Get to camp, set up, turn on AC if needed. No reason to run while driving in my opinion. Now if I lived in a really hot area I might feel differently. Temps in the 70's 80's 90's doesn't take that long to cool things down. We also try to park in the shade if it's going to be hot, often don't run the AC at all.

Atlee
Explorer
Explorer
Trent1980 wrote:
BarabooBob wrote:
How are you going to plug the trailer into the generator? Does your trailer cord go out the front of the TT? Is your generator a built in unit? I would worry about the cord being pulled out of trailer if you have the generator mounted outside the camper or in the truck bed.

I was going to mount generator in the back on the bumper, closer to cord, if it will work ?????

Is your back bumper strong enough to mount a generator? Also, if you mount the generator (2 2200W or a single 3K watt) on the bumper, will it take too much weight off the tongue, causing you to have to adjust the WDH set up?
Erroll, Mary
2021 Coachmen Freedom Express 20SE
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg
Equal-i-zer Hitch

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Grit dog wrote:
Thermoguy wrote:

Must love wet and cold all yr round also :E :h

I will take some heat any day over bone chillin' wet and cold climate..

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
Trent1980 wrote:
PhilipB wrote:
Yes we do run A/C when travelling if we feel it's needed. But we have a toy hauler with built in Onan.

I installed a Onan Microquiet 4.0 in my 2001 Fleetwood Wilderness 26H. I had a custom 26 gallon fuel tank made, and it had a 30 amp transfer switch.
It was a really big, but fun project. And it really helped sell that TT when it was time. So it CAN be done.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

Trent1980
Explorer
Explorer
PhilipB wrote:

PhilipB
Explorer
Explorer
2015 Ram 2500
[purple]2013 Raptor 310TS[/purple]

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Thermoguy wrote:

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Thermoguy
Explorer II
Explorer II

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
My AC cools the trailer while I am setting it up (10 minutes).

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
I had a cage made up to hold the generator. It is welded to the main frame.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Trent1980
Explorer
Explorer
katysdad wrote:
Trent1980 wrote:
BarabooBob wrote:
How are you going to plug the trailer into the generator? Does your trailer cord go out the front of the TT? Is your generator a built in unit? I would worry about the cord being pulled out of trailer if you have the generator mounted outside the camper or in the truck bed.

I was going to mount generator in the back on the bumper, closer to cord, if it will work ?????

Rear trailer bumpers are not built to carry any weight. Have seen more than enough torn off just from bike carriers or spare tires due to very thin material the bumper is made out of. A place to keep sewer hose is about all they were built to handle.

Thanks for the input

katysdad
Explorer
Explorer
Trent1980 wrote:
BarabooBob wrote:

Rear trailer bumpers are not built to carry any weight. Have seen more than enough torn off just from bike carriers or spare tires due to very thin material the bumper is made out of. A place to keep sewer hose is about all they were built to handle.
Dodge Ram 3500 DRW Diesel