cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hughes Auto PWD50

craig7h
Nomad
Nomad
Does anybody have this model of Surge Protector or heard any pros or cons?
Hughes Auto PWD 50
https://www.bzbproducts.com/hughes-auto-pwd50-surge-protector-power-watch-dog-50-amp.html

Seems like a very low price for what they say they have.

Thanks
Itasca Meridian SE 36g
Road Master Tow Dolly
9 REPLIES 9

jkwilson
Explorer II
Explorer II
craig7h wrote:
Thanks all,
I am not very knowledgeable on what all those type of devices do. I remember looking at I guess an "autoformer" for double the price. From your alls comments for complete protection go the autoformer route.
Thanks

An autoformer is a booster for low voltage. Protection of the RV from wiring or power system problems comes from an EMS. Protection from lightning or power system incidents comes from a surge protector.

For best protection in a Hughes product, you want the EPO version of their Power Watchdog which incorporates an EMS and a surge protector. They also offer a voltage booster (autoformer) with integrated surge protection but no EMS function to handle low supply voltage situations.
John & Kathy
2014 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
2014 F250 SBCC 6.2L 3.73

craig7h
Nomad
Nomad
Thanks all,
I am not very knowledgeable on what all those type of devices do. I remember looking at I guess an "autoformer" for double the price. From your alls comments for complete protection go the autoformer route.
Thanks
Itasca Meridian SE 36g
Road Master Tow Dolly

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
"Shore-Autoformer-Surge guard - Auto Transfer Switch - RV"

ZACTLY!!! Mine are all built in.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Hughes now makes a number of proeducts
The Autoformer has limited "Surge" (Really spike) supression NOT control
(MOV's if you really need to know)

They also have a "Surge Guard" device that is like the Progressive Industries EMS units.. monitors for low/high voltage and shuts you down. I DO NOT KNOW how good it is.

I suspect they make a "all of the above" and Perhaps a transfer switch with some protection built in (not sure on that)

I had the 50 amp Autoformer.. and a differnt "Surge Guard" very happy with the way they worked

Shore-Autoformer-Surge guard - Auto Transfer Switch - RV
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
The absolute most important protection for 50A is an open neutral which will cause very high and low voltage on the 2 power legs. Next is low voltage on either leg especially when connected to a 20A or 30A pedestal. This device offers no automatic disconnect for these conditions and others say at 2AM. OK if you plug it in and are watching the display it "monitors" some conditions. The "surge" device which your are asking about and a Energy Management System (EMS) which protects and disconnects shore power when a fault occurs are very different devices. Of course a EMS costs more.

My PI HW50C detects 10 faults and disconnects utility power. The display and fault codes are visible inside the RV.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
I too think the advertisement is clear. No mention of the unit being an autoformer.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
craig7h wrote:
Does anybody have this model of Surge Protector or heard any pros or cons?
Hughes Auto PWD 50
https://www.bzbproducts.com/hughes-auto-pwd50-surge-protector-power-watch-dog-50-amp.html

Seems like a very low price for what they say they have.

Thanks
I see no mention of voltage โ€œprotectionโ€ for the Hughes PWD50. It only mentions voltage/amps/watts โ€œmonitoringโ€ and surge protection. I interpret this as meaning itโ€™ll only shutdown or offer protection for extreme, short-term, very high voltage spikes or surges resulting from a lightning strike or equivalent. If voltage from your campsite pedestal simply rises too high (>128v) or low (<107v) , you can monitor it, but the PWD50 wonโ€™t shutdown power to protect your camper.

$150 sounds about right for a device just that only provides surge protection.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
I built mine in.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

vermilye
Explorer
Explorer
looks like normal pricing - even cheaper at eTrailer & Amazon. I prefer a built in EMS rather than external...