Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tire exploded in Florida

solman
Explorer
Explorer
Hello All,
I just returned from a round trip to Florida from New Jersey. Towing a Keystone cougar fifth wheel trailer with factory installed Trailer King tires. These tires are made in China and I believe are not up to the rigors of highway travel in the Florida heat. The tire exploded on I-95 without warning. I monitor tire pressure with a tire minder and checked with a pressure gauge before my return trip. The trailer was difficult to control for a moment but I got to the shoulder and put on the spare tire. It Was a harrowing experience on the side of a busy interstate road.
I know that many believe that our poor road conditions are the problem but I know of no major impacts to my tires and they have only about 5000 miles after I returned home. Tread is good on all tires and I see no reason for a tire to just explode while traveling. I run about 5mph below the speed limit in the right lane. I had the trailer weighed after loading up for a trip and I am well within limits. Tires must be able to withstand the heat and road conditions all across the country. We don't have glass smooth roads to be built to accommodate poorly made tires
I have heard of other incidents with are same and I believe these tires should have never been original equipment on an expensive fifth wheel camper.
I will replace all 4 tires after my insurance adjuster inspects the damaged tire. there is some damage to the trailer as well. Wheel skirt and J wrap is damaged and the insulation under the floor above the wheel well is torn out. I was lucky to be able to finish my trip without the camper being disabled on the road. The trailer brake wiring remained intact.
If you have these Chinese tires on your camper I would recommend that you change them out before you experience a similar incident. I was told Goodyear Advantage is a good trailer tire by my local tire guys.I think I will go with them after some more tire research.
All the best and stay safe on the road.
Solman
Solman
2011 F-250 6.2L 4x4 3.73 8'bed
2020 Keystone Cougar 5er 315RLS
pullrite 16k hitch
44 REPLIES 44

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
fj12ryder wrote:
For the same reason you never put a battery directly on a concrete floor. ๐Ÿ™‚

theres old wives tales for tires on the ground now... where is this world going.......
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Jerry, sometimes I think some of us have a foot on both sides of the line. ๐Ÿ™‚
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
fj12ryder wrote:
Hey, no problem guys. Sometimes my sense of humor gets a bit too obtuse even for me. ๐Ÿ™‚

Hey Howard...I gave your humor a like, knew exactly what you were saying. Does make me wonder why I got it, when others did not? I do know there is a fine line between genius/insane???:p

Jerry

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hey, no problem guys. Sometimes my sense of humor gets a bit too obtuse even for me. ๐Ÿ™‚
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
RAS43 wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:
RAS43 wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:

That has been discredited by many sources.
Hence the smiley face.

:S

Same for me. Sorry fj12ryder!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

RAS43
Explorer III
Explorer III
fj12ryder wrote:
RAS43 wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:

Hence the smiley face.

:S

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
RAS43 wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:

Hence the smiley face.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
MFL wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:

^^Like!

I do think that dirt, parking long term on the ground will cause dry rot, but concrete, no issue.

Jerry

Every winter for 6 months my Boat Trailer has sat on concrete since October 2017 and my ENDURANCE tires look just fine to me. The tire battery comparison does not hold water with me.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

RAS43
Explorer III
Explorer III
fj12ryder wrote:

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
And how did solmanโ€™s china bomb tire story turn into the non existent hazards of storing tires and batteries on concrete?
Maybe he parked and drive his trailer on concrete and that caused them to explode at 2 years old? Lol

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
MFL wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:

^^Like!

I do think that dirt, parking long term on the ground will cause dry rot, but concrete, no issue.

Jerry

@chevman might actually be old enough to remember when car batteries shouldnโ€™t have been stored on concrete. But the invention of plastic battery cases eliminated that concern, about 60? Years ago?
Same with tires on concrete. Complete wives tale. And dirt as well. I guess maybe unless youโ€™re parking your tires covered in mud, in the sun, for years or if theyโ€™re Michelins, lol. And itโ€™s the sun that will get them far before anything else.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
fj12ryder wrote:

^^Like!

Jerry

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
larry barnhart wrote:
We always had plywood under our trailer tires when it is parked. last trailer also expect for the last few days we had it in our driveway. Our chev will be on plywood for the winter also.

chevman

Honest question, WHY?
I read years ago dirt or concrete sucks the moisture from the tires so that is my answer. never had any tires issues . chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

fj12ryder
Explorer II