cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How do you in the S/E handle high humidity inside your rig?

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
Our nephew lives in Jacksonville on a side canal off the intercoastal waterway and he is having problems with mold and moisture damage in his small class A. It is so bad he is moving it to their second home in Colorado. He has been running the AC 24/7 in his rig.

Granular absorbent is usually the first thing I'd suggest along with adequate air flow but that hasn't seemed to work. What practices do you follow.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II
7 REPLIES 7

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
We live and often camp right on the intracoastal in NC. While it is incredibly humid in the summer, we don't have moisture issues in the FW. Not sure what the secret is but we don't do anything special. Our FW has real ducted AC, maybe that helps? Maybe better insulation? Maybe the more open floorplan helps?

First thing I would try is a dehumidifier, get the AC cleaned and make sure it's operating efficiently.

We had an entry level Class A once that held a lot of moisture. That thing was hardly insulated.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

dedmiston
D.E.Bishop wrote:
Our nephew lives in Jacksonville on a side canal off the intercoastal waterway and he is having problems with mold and moisture damage in his small class A. It is so bad he is moving it to their second home in Colorado. He has been running the AC 24/7 in his rig.

Granular absorbent is usually the first thing I'd suggest along with adequate air flow but that hasn't seemed to work. What practices do you follow.

It's funny to see "Eagle Rock" and "Humidity" in the same topic. It's not something we have to think about much in CA.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
We use a larger (22 pt., I think) compressor type dehumidifier in addition to the two 15K ACs. Some days the dehumidifier will pull 1-1/2 gallons of water out of the inside of the RV. That's a lotta watta! And it's not just in the southeast... we just had to use it in Iowa and Illinois with similar results.

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Has he tried a dehumidifier, you have to provide a way to drain the water so maybe set it up next to a sink or in the shower with the door proped open. Need power 24X7. Our homebase is a few hours away but not on a canal, but 80+% humidity is high enough. No mold tho.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
We donโ€™t have too much issues. We run the roof ac with all windows and vents closed, making sure the dash ac had been set to recirc to make sure the damper is closed.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
Get moisture down to under 50 percent and keep it there. Dehumidifier is the best way to do that.

rlw999
Explorer
Explorer
D.E.Bishop wrote:

Does he have power to it? In the rainy pacific northwest, when my RV is not in use I always run a dehumidifier in it. I set it on the counter near the sink and let it drain into the sink so I never need to empty it.