Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: CG Prices
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> CG Prices

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 06/04/22 06:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We just stayed at the Chaplin village campground in Saskatchewan. Thanks 15 bucks including 15 amp power. Woohoo. [emoticon]

We have stayed at a few lyons parks over the last couple weeks for 30 bucks all services. A lit of the municipal parks are cheap.

DallasSteve

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 06/04/22 07:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The original post scared me. I know we're seeing high inflation but those prices sound crazy. I toured the Texas Gulf coast in 2020 and we stayed at several parks on the beach. The nicest/priciest park was Delaneera RV Park in Galveston. So I wondered if it's $200 now. Not quite. I just priced a weekend site on the ocean: $72.50 per night. I can live with that on the beach. I don't know if I can live with $4 per gallon gas. Right now I'm thinking about getting another motorhome and doing this again, but I'm going to wait for a recession first. It is coming.

(My biggest peeve about Dellaneera and a few other RV parks is the check in/check out times. At Dellaneera it is or was 12 noon check out, 2 PM check in. Does it take them 2 hours to vacuum the RV site, change the sheets, clean the bathroom? I don't think so.)

* This post was last edited 06/04/22 07:40pm by DallasSteve *   View edit history

WinMinnie02

NJ

View Profile

Posted: 06/04/22 07:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OP - Owning an RV gives you options boondocks, state parks, and private parks. Always stay away from holidays and crowds, avoid overpriced CG. Been RVing for 20+ years learned quickly to avoid Private CGs.

Thunder Mountain

Lost in the Four Corners

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/04/22 07:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes, CG rates are out of control, but have you recently priced a decent motel room? At least with the MH, I know what went on in the bed last night and there wasn't a meth lab in the room last week. Supply and demand plus inflation are driving the price of RV sites.

2016 Winnebago Journey 40R
2018 Rubicon
1982 FJ40 Toyota Land Cruiser
2020 Keystone Outback 327CG
2020 Dodge Ram 2500
Polaris RZR XP 1000
4 Cats
3 Dogs
1 Bottle of Jack Daniels
Two old hippies still trying to find ourselves!

Scottiemom

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 06/05/22 06:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

When traveling back and forth from WA to SoCal I don't waste my money at a RV Resort. I stay at Rest Areas when I get tired for a few hours. I also stay at "Animal Clubs" CampGround at a minimal expense.

What are "Animal Clubs" Campgrounds?

Dale Pace
Widow of Terry (Teacher's Pet)

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

2004 R-Vision Trail-lite 213 (MinnieMee)
Fulltimed for 15 years, now living in Florida

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/
Where are we?

kfp673

PA

View Profile

Posted: 06/05/22 06:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good thoughts all! I should clarify that my point is not a 100% blanket statement. Certainly plenty of lower cost CG's, especially in lower demand areas, but my findings have been those are either very difficult to get in without booking far in advance, or they are just bad / dumpy places. I should also clarify that while prices have been climbing as we all know, I am specifically referring to this year / right now. And I totally understand that a private CG with lots of "things to do" is going to be much higher than state parks or others, but there's a limit. Seems like the majority of major hikes (some have doubled or nearly doubled over the past 2 years) are the corporate campgrounds. We used to actively avoid Sun, Trails, etc. We did not mind KOA so much as they still tend to feel like personally owned. problem is, Sun and Trails are buying everything, doing nothing at all to improve them (or maybe very minor tweaks) and hiking prices. Again, I can't speak for all locations but in my experience so far this year. Up and down the east coast I am seeing these privates sell to the corporate names and it's really a shame. Can't blame the owners as I'm sure it's a win for them but prices go up immediately in my experience.

Anyway, not much we can do I guess other than keep looking elsewhere and increase my boondock trips

ferndaleflyer

everywhere

View Profile

Posted: 06/05/22 08:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When investment groups get involved 2 things you can count on, higher prices and diminished services. All they do is take everything they can then dump whats left.

wapiticountry

Mountain West

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/05/22 10:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When we sold our parks, and I can assure you many other owners will agree, a primary motivation was the fact dealing with the public is exhausting both physically and mentally. We got a good price, but likely wouldn’t have sold had our experiences been better. A couple of decades of people whining and complaining is strong motivation to get the heck out. Unlike private owners, corporations can churn through managers and employees. I don’t blame them a bit for trying to squeeze every dime from every customer. I sometimes wish we had done the same.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/05/22 10:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ferndaleflyer wrote:

When investment groups get involved 2 things you can count on, higher prices and diminished services. All they do is take everything they can then dump whats left.

And then the life cycle begins again.
Do you blame the investment companies, or those that sell out to them?

Asking for a friend…

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/05/22 11:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wapiticountry wrote:

When we sold our parks, and I can assure you many other owners will agree, a primary motivation was the fact dealing with the public is exhausting both physically and mentally. We got a good price, but likely wouldn’t have sold had our experiences been better. A couple of decades of people whining and complaining is strong motivation to get the heck out. Unlike private owners, corporations can churn through managers and employees. I don’t blame them a bit for trying to squeeze every dime from every customer. I sometimes wish we had done the same.

Bingo! You hit the nail on the head! The service industry s ucks! We all love a nice mom n pop (name the business). But the general public is generally insufferable and a constant battle to please, keep up with, or deal with insolence and other behavioral issues.

We have had the, I’ll say the same unfortunate experience, dealing with tenants.
Have rented out 4 different homes of ours. Each one for a different reason. And my experience, growing up, my grandmother and then parents had 2 apartments and a house that we rented out. I remember the many trips to fix stuff at 10:00 at night and Dad grumbling about that. And 1 renter who generally never could quite come up with rent on time, but despite their lack of personal financial management, were good folks, turned into family friends actually and in the end didn’t leave us hanging.
My experience, starting some 15 years later was a direct departure from that experience my parents had.
I thought, renting out a nice large custom home (they were all ex - residences that we hung on to for different reasons, Some to make money, some to not lose money by selling at the wrong time, would generally provide at least a somewhat acceptable tenant. 4 houses and 8 tenants later, I can say with a great deal of confidence, I will never (unless absolutely necessary) own another rental! 2 good tenants, 1 decent and 5 that wouldn’t pay, destroyed the house, etc. Even had one that went from great to the 3rd worst!
Just like a campground owner, I needed the money, so I let ‘em in. And then at the end of the day, several of them cost us far more than they paid us!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> CG Prices
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.