cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sumo Springs on 2022 F350 SRW

MNRon
Explorer
Explorer
I installed 2800lb Sumo Springs (yellow) on my F350 a week or so ago. Have pulled our 5er ~1k miles with them and found one of them torn nearly in two, and the other one starting to have a banana bend. I noticed that they didn’t contact the bump stop directly in the middle when installing and suspect that’s the cause. I have an emai in to sumosprings but don’t expect an answer for a couple days given it’s the weekend.

Has anyone had this issue?
TIA
Ron & Pat
2022 F350 Lariat CCSB SRW Diesel
2019 VanLeigh Vilano 320 GK
25 REPLIES 25

blt2ski
Soft Friday suspension......sounds like transit van I drive at work to a degree. I usually figured it was due to the LOOOOOONG rear overhang behind rear axle. Way softer than the sprinters we had. About literal usefull 2000 lbs less payload for same gvwr/25 series vans.

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Me Again wrote:
I have said for a while now that every new Ford needs to be bagged if you intend to carry a load. The truck suspension appears to be designed more for ride quality than load carrying.

I thought they beefed up the current models? Back in 2016 every F450 hauling a DRV had to be bagged that I spoke to at the DRV repair facility. One guy had not done the bags yet and he was NOT happy with his ride.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have said for a while now that every new Ford needs to be bagged if you intend to carry a load. The truck suspension appears to be designed more for ride quality than load carrying.
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Cummins12V98 wrote:
rhagfo wrote:
Just find it interesting that a new truck for an existing 5er need extra spring help!

That tells me it's overloaded most likely.

Got to wonder, I figured that a Ram 3500 SRW with a 12,300 GVWRand about 4,200 payload our 2,700# pin, hitch, DW, myself and “stuff” in the in bed toolbox I would be at about 12,200#+.
Maybe part of the steering drift issue!
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
rhagfo wrote:
Just find it interesting that a new truck for an existing 5er need extra spring help!

That tells me it's overloaded most likely.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Thermoguy
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm impressed that you have driven 4K miles in just over a month...

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
I like the flexability of airbags. Not so much for the weight capacity, but being able to raise and lower the nose of the 5ver. My first trip out with it there was a small berm going into our campsite. The leveling jacks would not clear it. We ended up doing a lot of shovel work to get it done. With the airbags and on board bluetooth pump, we can easily get past such an obstacle without breaking a sweat.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
valhalla360 wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Why not add airbags and set to have the truck run level. Bilstien's are another good add along with proper tire pressure based on load.

They are a 3-4 times the upfront cost and they require maintenance and adjustment.

And before you say it...Installed incorrectly, they won't last long either.

A basic set of 5klb bags is around 10% more than a set of sumos. Giver take.
I suppose they do require adjustment. IE adding or removing air.
But you’re comparing 2 different products that perform a similar function.
I never have had airbag maintenance on any of my to do lists….Had one fail at 15+ years old. But I’ve never used sumos or Timbrens for 15 years to compare whether they last longer.
Bottom line, OP got too soft of Sumos, or relied on them too heavily or improper fit/install. Or combination thereof.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

TravelinDog
Explorer
Explorer
Glad you got the issue resolved. Nice to see a company stand behind its product.
Just say no to the payload police :C

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sounds like a stand up company.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

MNRon
Explorer
Explorer
* FINAL UPDATE *

As mentioned, the Sumosprings customer service was fabulous! Not only did they send me new Sumosprings, but also sent landing platforms to ensure that I wouldn’t have the same issue as I initially experienced. Even more, because I’d mentioned that I noticed more ‘drift’ in the F350 steering as compared to my prior Duramax3500, they sent me some additional bump stops to engage the overload springs earlier to help with handling; FREE!

After installing everything (an hour and a half because I did it in campground) everything is working great. I’ve traveled ~2K miles in the Rockies and high plains (including a couple days in strong, gusty, cross winds) and the loaded handling is wonderful. Solved the squat issue, as well as significantly reduced the steering drift I’d noticed. Additionally, I’ve put on another 2K miles unloaded and am equally happy with unloaded performance. The unloaded gap means that unloaded performance is identical to pre-Sumosprings unless I hit larger bumps which then start to engage. I do notice large bumps can cause the overload stops to make a noise once in a while. Bottom line though, I’m happy to trade that for the superior loaded performance.

End result - very happy with Sumosprings, even happier with their customer service!!
Ron & Pat

MNRon
Explorer
Explorer
Interim Update

Spent a while on the phone with Sumo Tech Services Mgr - great guy, and fabulous support!

He commented that the Sumo (or bump stop etc) does not travel in a straight line relative to the lower perch stop, which is rounded and angled to intersect accounting for this. He took my installation specifics, weights, etc and believes that all is correct but that potentially a bump or something temporary ‘overloaded’ the Sumo causing it to swish sideways in attempt to relieve this and sliding off of the perch; once off it no longer functions properly and was tore apart with further bumps.

He wanted further specifics (which I sent tonight), but called me back to say that he’d already set replacement parts aside (including platforms to prevent a similar problem in the future) awaiting an address to intersect my travel. He also commented that leaving a little bit larger initial unloaded gap could also minimize this issue.

Can’t say enough good about Sumospring responsiveness so far!! Hope to get this resolved within the next few days and then a couple thousand miles traveling the Rockies over the next 4-5 weeks should give the resolution a good test. Thanks for all the replies and information. Hope to report back good news in a month 🙂
Ron & Pat

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
valhalla360 wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Why not add airbags and set to have the truck run level. Bilstien's are another good add along with proper tire pressure based on load.

They are a 3-4 times the upfront cost and they require maintenance and adjustment.

And before you say it...Installed incorrectly, they won't last long either.

HMMMMM, never had an issue and never heard of any maintenance on air bags.