cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replace curved side windows with straight windows.

jjrbus
Explorer
Explorer
Have a 2002 Roadtrek fiberglass body with frame less curved side windows. Windows need a bit of attention, one top pane replaced with plexiglass, couple of parts missing and they do not open much for ventilation. Also no longer available from manufacturer. Seems the top piece that was replaced with plexi is flat and could have glass cut to fit.

So I am curious if anyone has replaced the curved frameless with regular flat, sliding,uncurved standard RV windows? I have poked around the net and find only one reference where the windows were ordered from European manufacture.

Any thoughts, ideas, suggestions, opinions and wisecracks greatly appreciated.
6 REPLIES 6

jjrbus
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, they are OE CRL windows. CRL no longer makes this particular window and people who have contacted CRL claim they were unresponsive to them.

I can remove these windows, clean them up, renew adhesives/seals, replace the one missing glass and reinstall them. Likely in a day or so. Then I would still have windows with little ventilation! In my opinion the frameless awning window is a piss poor idea! Although they do look nice.

So still looking into a nice old fashioned sliding RV window options. Possibly a bezel, shims something.

shastagary
Explorer
Explorer
so they look something like these
Van Window Contoured to Match Van Side Walls

QCMan
Nomad II
Nomad II
Anything can be made, it only depends on how deep your pockets are. Being that you want frames and glass both curved complicates the issue. I would hazard a guess that flat frames would not work on a curved surface.
Bring one of the windows that you want to be copied to a glass company that does architectural work. They will take a 3d contour of it and then they can make it any size or configuration and opening you want. Being that it is a custom build, you will probably see a 2k to 3k bill for a set of windows. I presume you will need one for each side and that is why I said set.
2020 Keystone Cougar 22RBS, Ram 1500, two Jacks and plenty of time to roam!
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. A.E.
Good Sam Life Member

jjrbus
Explorer
Explorer
This was a cab and chassis which a fiberglass body was added to. The sidewall has a slight curve to it and the window frame has the same curve. I am not sure it can be done but usually in RV's if you think of something it has been done before!

The frameless windows are very pleasing to the eye, but useless for ventilation, also held together with adhesive which eventually fails! I have eternabond on mine so I do not lose the glass until I resolve this.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Can’t picture how any flat glass would go into a curved frame, surface.
And dunno what your windows look like.
Is the premieter in a flat plane and the glass is just bubbled or something?
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

shastagary
Explorer
Explorer
you may find windows to fit or cut the hole a bit bigger to fit here
campervan-HQ windows