Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: thoughts on Ecoboost
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> thoughts on Ecoboost

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Turtle n Peeps

California

View Profile

Posted: 06/08/22 08:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes and they did a few other improvements like double set injection which helped out the carbon fouling issues.

~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

FishOnOne

The Great State of Texas

View Profile

Posted: 06/08/22 09:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I believe the main issue with the 3.5 EB engine is the cam phasers has a lock out pin that engages and locks the phaser until oil pressure at start up can take over and these pins don't engage creating a rattle on start up.

'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs
"250k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

librty02

Western Pa

View Profile

Posted: 06/10/22 11:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You can ask me anything you like about the 3.5 Eco's as I have 2 of them an 11 and 18....the 11 has over 80k miles towing alone on it and the 18 is at 60k now with 45k miles towing on it. Use it to tow our rig all over handles anywhere we take it and with ease..The 18 is also my current daily as well..gets 18mpg city as a daily and 9mpg avg when towing as well...and we don't tow on flats its mostly all through the blue ridge mountains of WV VA NC...been to Fl from Pa and back many many many times...love the trucks and that engine and the 10 speed tranny is flawless. When I step up to a larger rig I'll be looking at the 350 with the 7.3 and 3.73 axle for the next tow vehicle. The 18 did have the cam phasers replaced at 18k and has been perfect since apparently there are new updated parts they are using now it was a 4 hour fix at my local dealer done by noon that day. No other issues at all other than it makes me smile [emoticon] [emoticon] especially when I have the rig hooked up to the back of it....

2011 FORD F-150 FX4 CREW CAB ECO...
2018 Ford F-150 Max Tow Crew 6.5 3.5 Eco...
2013 Keystone Passport 2650BH, EQUAL-I-ZER 1K/10K

Procrastinator

Southern Illinois

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/11/22 08:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I bought a 2018 3.5 ecoboost brand new in late 2018. I towed 7,000 pound trailer over 15,000 miles with it. Plenty of power, good mpg when not towing, not good mpg when towing. I wrote up a lengthy review of a 5,000 mile trip towing to California and back on here if you want to search it.

I bought it fully aware of timing chain stretch that can affect "some" of the 3.5 motors. With over 800,000 F150's sold a year and majority of them Ecoboost of one or another configuration, I took those odds.

Well, in 2021 with 53,000 miles on the timing chain stretch got so bad that the truck was in the dealership for about 2.5 months waiting for techs to fix it right. 3 attempts didn't fix it. The ford dealership was such aholes about it, I dumped it and purchased another truck from a different brand.

Its a shame really, I had two excursions, a couple of F series trucks, and because of that ONE truck and the way Ford and the dealership(s) treated me I am out.

I buy a new truck every three to four years, and I know I won't be getting another ford anytime in future.

2018 F150 Max Tow with 6.5 "long" bed.

2019 Coachman Freedom Express Liberty 292BHDSLE

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/11/22 12:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

^While not a Ford guy per se and understanding pretty well the issue you had, to put it in perspective, sounds like 90% of the problem or frustration is split somehow between supply chain parts availability (maybe not but reasonable assumption in these times) and dealer incompetence.
I can tell you the latter 2 issues (and not the fact that it broke and really shouldn’t have) are NO different than with other brands and too much typing to give my largely similar experiences with the other 2 of the big 3 brands). And same for the root cause which was a defective or poorly designed, or possibly incorrectly assembled but most likely the first 2 reasons, is also absolutely a concern with other brands.
That said, it warms my heart to see another Ford sale bite the dust! #likearock #rammafia
Lol!!

These are vehicles and every year there is a different or maybe continued gripe about ____ issue with ______ vehicle. Heck if you had a horse instead, even it would require some repair and a visit/trip to the vet for a minor or potentially major issue.
The balance is making an educated decision on what you think the magnitude and propensity is of the (thanks internet) known issue issues and then hood for the best.
If I didn’t buy a particular brand of vehicle based on a dealer incompetence experience, I’d not be able to own any of the big 3 ever again? (Never bought a jap or Korean car and precious few eruo mobiles for comparison, and probably never will)

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/11/22 12:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

And why is the Bain of your ford experience still proudly listed in your signature?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> thoughts on Ecoboost
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.