Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Reliable camper
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Reliable camper

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Usmc68

Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 06/06/22 12:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi all,

I know this is a loaded question but what is a good brand of travel trailer? We are getting rid of our 1994 Callista Cove 27' Class C and going with something we can pull with my 2000 F250 7.3. Also that can sleep at least 6 adults (3 teenagers) and have some pop-outs My neighbor had a pull behind (Springdale summerland series) and has had nothing but problems. We were looking at Grand Design. We also want to stay below 30K if possible. Thanks in advance,

Semper Fi

* This post was edited 06/06/22 12:42pm by Usmc68 *

Lwiddis

Cambria, California area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/06/22 12:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm happy with my Winnebago but for new models that sleep six you won't stay below $30K.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Thermoguy

Graham, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/06/22 01:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You are in the used trailer market - so everything you find will be reliable, the kinks worked out. It's then a matter of how the previous owner treated it. I have a 5th wheel, with bunkhouse. Bought it used about 6 years ago, so long before the COVID price increases. We have had to do a few things to it. The biggest thing I did wrong was not have it inspected before I bought it. I would do that for sure. Look for water leaks, and any appliances not working, make sure it is the floor plan you like and has never been damaged. Mine had a water leak, but we fixed it and it has not caused any more problems. Look for professional repairs, not DIY, some DIY looks professional and that's good. You have a good truck for a large enough trailer for your family, so that's a good start.

Usmc68

Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 06/06/22 01:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good info, thank you Thermoguy!

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/06/22 01:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Definitley a loaded question lol.
GD, Lance, Outdoors RV all seem to be pretty well regarded.
The only travel trailer we've had is a Heartland, toyhauler, and I'd consider it to be of good quality, although at 5 years old, it is very lightly used.
Speaking of, have you considered a toyhauler?
We wuz looking for a TT after selling our truck camper. Not wanting bunks and light duty, barely capable chassis for the weight, got on the toyhauler kick. For overall interior space and ability to sleep alot of people, a comparable size TH (peon "garage") kills most TTs in this regard.
Aside from heavy tongue weight, if alot of "space" and # of people sleeping arrangements are wanted, the toyhauler wins.
They also genrally have larger tank capacities and more of them with built in gennys (blessing or curse...).

Knowing that I'm going down the road with 7k axles and 16" tires with a trailer that is only carrying maybe 4000-4500lbs per axle is nice too.
And I spent like $40 and made the ramp into a back deck. Open air concept with the screen and canvas wall at the back are nice in nice weather too.

Food for thought.

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/06/22 02:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FWIW, when we were shopping last year, Covid prices, of course, a deal was tough to find several months and several states radius search.
I looked at a Springdale actually and yes, it was CHEEEEP.
Ended up with a Heartland Torque T29, and actually very close to your upper budget, been used like twice in 4 years and mostly stored in a barn.

Second Chance

Wherever...

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/06/22 02:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As Thermoguy said, at 30K you are in the used market. Some manufacturers may have a slightly better reputation for build, fit and finish, but in the end they all use the same appliances and accessories. In the travel trailer market, 90+% of them use the same chassis manufacturer and one of three axle/suspension makers. The common components are the ones that fail most often, so it goes across all brands.

Rob

U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

Gdetrailer

PA

View Profile

Posted: 06/06/22 02:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Usmc68 wrote:

Hi all,

I know this is a loaded question but what is a good brand of travel trailer? We are getting rid of our 1994 Callista Cove 27' Class C and going with something we can pull with my 2000 F250 7.3. Also that can sleep at least 6 adults (3 teenagers) and have some pop-outs My neighbor had a pull behind (Springdale summerland series) and has had nothing but problems. We were looking at Grand Design. We also want to stay below 30K if possible. Thanks in advance,

Semper Fi

You might need to put the brakes on this until you figure out just how much payload you have..

7.3 Diesel plus assuming 4x4 and if you have super or crew cab long bed you will be pretty low on available cargo on that truck. It is heavy to start with, north of 8K lbs and F250s are normally maxed out at 9,999K GVWR (IE 10K GVWR)..

Had a co-worker that had a F250 reg cab long bed 4x4 XLT, always complained that the PA turnpike scales would nail him on the next higher weight bracket if he spiked the brakes at the toll booths when stopping.. His was right at 8,100 empty, next weight class started at 8,200 lbs..

Yes, it is a 7.3 and yes it can pull stumps, but at a cost of less payload weight.

As far as "reliable" in trailers, not much there to go wrong as you have wheels/axles/brakes and for inside you have appliances like furnace, A/C, water heater, fridge, water lines, electrical and then silly things like drawers and such..

Much of the items are commonly used across all RVs such as appliances, furnace, water heater, A/C, there is no "seconds" or lower quality to these common appliances.. Expensive RVs use the exact same appliances as the cheap RVs..

Where most complaints really stem from is lack of quality of the workmanship when the unit was assembled.. That can be poorly installed water lines or electrical connections or poorly built cabinets, drawers, doors..

Figure out how much available cargo you have on your truck, then find a trailer that stays within your cargo of the truck and suits your needs.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/06/22 04:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gdetrailer wrote:

You might need to put the brakes on this until you figure out just how much payload you have..

7.3 Diesel plus assuming 4x4 and if you have super or crew cab long bed you will be pretty low on available cargo on that truck. It is heavy to start with, north of 8K lbs and F250s are normally maxed out at 9,999K GVWR (IE 10K GVWR)..

Had a co-worker that had a F250 reg cab long bed 4x4 XLT, always complained that the PA turnpike scales would nail him on the next higher weight bracket if he spiked the brakes at the toll booths when stopping.. His was right at 8,100 empty, next weight class started at 8,200 lbs..

Figure out how much available cargo you have on your truck, then find a trailer that stays within your cargo of the truck and suits your needs.

GDE, when did you become a deputy weight cop? I thought I recalled you understanding things a little better.
That said, for the OP's sake, when it comes to payload rating, the only difference between his truck and a F350 is the emblems on the fenders and the sticker on the door. Even has 1 ton rear springs if it's a camper special or whatever they called them.

And what does the turnpike scale weight of your buddys truck have to do with anything? It's a cool story but not sure the point?

Usmc68

Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 06/06/22 04:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for all the replies. Yeah, the F250 is only 4x2 but it does have the 8' bed and crew cab, so 4 full size doors and seats. When I go to the dump she comes in around 7200K with a full tank. It does have the camper package so electric brake wired and extra cooler and leafs.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Reliable camper
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.