cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Mixing battery types??

Mmaxed
Explorer II
Explorer II
I want to add more battery capacity to our hauler. They will have to go in the pass through. Would just stay with lead acid, but venting will be a pain. Can I add Lifepo 4 or sealed lead acid and be OK?
8 REPLIES 8

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Mmaxed wrote:
OK, since I am asking stupid questions instead of searching and sorting through a bunch of ****. If I go to Lifepo4 bateries, do I need to change my charging system?

Li are fussy. https://www.solacity.com/how-to-keep-lifepo4-lithium-ion-batteries-happy/

Li don't enjoy cold
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Microlite_Mike
Explorer
Explorer
Mmaxed wrote:
OK, since I am asking stupid questions instead of searching and sorting through a bunch of ****. If I go to Lifepo4 bateries, do I need to change my charging system?

The answer is "yes and no". If you do not have solar charging then then you will need to change the converter/charger if it doesn't have a Lithium profile setting.

If you have solar charging then no, most controllers have a setting for Lithium/LiFePo4 batteries. The conventional converter will charge the LiFePo4 batteries to ~90% SOC and the Solar Controller will top them off and handle cell balancing, to a SOC of 100%.

Many are doing this unless they absolutely need a 100% charge right away or have no solar panels mounted.
"Knowledge is realizing that the street is one-way, wisdom is looking both directions anyway."

~ Albert Einstein

corvettekent
Explorer
Explorer
Mmaxed wrote:

I am going through the change to Lifepo4 now. It is not just a simple exchange, plan on spending more money. I had four 6 volt flooded lead acid batteries, 470 AH. I bought one 206 AH Lifepo4 thinking that it would have plenty of power but it would not power my microwave, so I had to buy a second 206 AH Lifepo4. The issue is with the BMS. I have 860 watts of solar on the roof and my MPPT charge controllers will work with the new batteries but my PD converter will not.
2022 Silverado 3500 High Country CC/LB, SRW, L5P. B&W Companion Hitch with pucks. Hadley air horns.

2004 32' Carriage 5th wheel. 860 watts of solar MPPT, two SOK 206 ah LiFePO4 batteries. Samlex 2,000 watt Pure Sine Wave Inverter.

Mmaxed
Explorer II
Explorer II

Mmaxed
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks Don, that is what I thought I knew, if you know what I mean? Have to decide which way to go. 400 amp hours of Lifepo4 isn't cheap.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Bite the bullet and buy a Lithium battery of sufficient capacityโ€ฆ200, 300, 400 amps. Issue and concerns over.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Mmaxed,

You can do it if you have switches to isolate the batteries from each other.

You could do it with agm or sio2.

using sealed lead acid would require the wiring to be balanced. (or use switches).

It is really best to keep to the same type of battery.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
You shouldnโ€™t โ€œaddโ€ Lithium to any other battery type but most say you can add a different brand Lithium battery provided itโ€™s the same chemistry.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad