cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TV & 30 ft TT to Mini Van and 17 ft TT

K3WE
Explorer
Explorer
First of all, I’m looking for a friendly DISCUSSION (As if friends were having a beer around a fire.)

Obviously, gas is up, but both I and the DW have wondered about “something minimal you could sleep in”.

But dang, we sure like the bathroom, kitchen and fridge.

Our camping varies widely.

I had these ‘crazy thoughts:

-A mini van could work as a self-contained camper (No kitchen & bath, but a good place to sleep).

-And it could pull a small camper. Note: I have edited this to a 17 ft TT from 19 ft- towing capacity is around 3,500.

-And maybe get ~15 MPG towing.

-And it’s a very useful and comfortable and adaptable buttocks, cargo, AND grocery hauler for the rest of the time.

-Sometimes camp with the van only, others, take a small TT.

Another edit- no real plans to plumbing/fridge/stove to minivan.

Anyone have thoughts or even relevant stories?

Again, not looking for ANSWERS as much as a fun DISCUSSION.

Edit #3- Thanks for the comments.
33 REPLIES 33

K3WE
Explorer
Explorer
Been busy working on the real camper, leaving Monday. Will probably buy $5.00
gas at some point.

😞

While replacing a tire, I found a second one ready to do the China-bomb thing…so I replaced the rest (cuss words).

Water tank Cloroxed, TPMS installed.

Opened beer and caught up.

One post was a shred ugly (discussing male anatomy)…unfortunately the bulge in my pants is NOT a wallet, so forgive me for thinking cheap).

One angle on this is DW or me occasionally camping for a weekend alone. She doesn’t drive, nor do the hitching. Another option that has emerged is JUST getting the mini van. Forget a TT to go with it. Who knows- fun discussing.

I ESPECIALLY APPRECIATE THE COMMENTS FROM THOSE WHO HAVE PULLED A CAMPER WITH A MINI VAN…and, he’ll, making an EV work…we all like to mess with stuff.

dedmiston
I'm deleting some off-topic posts in this thread. Reisender is our resident evangelist for electric vehicles, and his zeal often motivates him to take threads in directions they weren't intended to go... into an EV alternate universe.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
@Rick Jay - you're right. The towing capacity IS affected by the tongue weight (hitch weight). I was simply pointing out that:

Towing capacity does NOT equal weight of trailer AND payload (which is a common misconception by folks).
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
toedtoes wrote:
Skibane wrote:

Scamp lists a "dry" weight of 1750-2000 lbs. for the 16' model.

I would bet that the "wet" weight isn't far from 3000 lbs.

Add the weight of passengers and other personal items in the minivan, and they're probably pretty close to the 3500 lb. limit.

OTOH, Scamps are pretty aerodynamic, so at least they're minimizing frontal surface area and wind loading.

The 3500lb towing capacity does NOT include what you put IN the vehicle.

Towing capacity = how much the vehicle can pull behind it.

Payload = weight inside and on top of vehicle plus approx 15 percent of the trailer's loaded weight (aka hitch weight)

GCVWR = Vehicle's GVWR plus towing capacity.

Thank you for clearing up that common rvnet misconception!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Rick_Jay
Explorer II
Explorer II
Since the Toyota Sienna has been mentioned a couple of times, here are a couple of links with some helpful info about towing with a Sienna.

Can you tow a camper with a Sienna?

Toyota Sienna Towing Capacity

Summarizing some of the points of these is that the 3,500 lb. tow limit is only for Sienna's equipped with the factory tow package. Apparently this package is standard for all models 2021 and later. But before that, it was an option. If your Sienna does not have the factory tow package, or has not been upgraded to it, then the towing capacity is limited to 2,000 lbs.

Apparently, per the Sienna Owner's Manual, if you tow anything over 1,000 lbs., the trailer must include it's own braking system & controller.

toedtoes wrote:
This isn't exactly correct. It might be true in some cases, but not always. The GCWR is the maximum weight the vehicle and what it's towing can weigh. It is NOT necessarily the published tow rating. For example, my rig has a GVWR of 22,000 lbs. and a GCWR of 26,000 lbs. The hitch is good for up to 5,000 lbs. I CAN tow up to 5,000 lbs., but I have to keep the weight of the rig and everything inside under 21,000 lbs.)

toedtoes wrote:

Well, this is where it gets a bit complicated. The actual towing weight maximum is a bit tricky to figure out as it CAN depend upon how much the Sienna weighs and how much stuff is put into it. From the reading in the links above, the gross vehicle weight rating of a Sienna is about 6,000 lbs. and it looks like the payload of a Sienna is model dependent and can be anywhere between 1,125 lbs. and 1,380 lbs. (for 2020 models, base weights between 4,620 lbs. and 4,875 lbs.). Now for a bit of math: If your trailer weighs the 3,500 lbs spec'd by the limit, approximately 10%, or 350 lbs. will be tongue weight. Tongue weight counts as part of the payload. So now, depending upon your model, the weight of the passengers & contents inside the minivan have to be kept under 775 lbs. to 1,030 lbs., depending upon the model.

IF you can keep the weight of everything inside the Sienna within those limits, you might be OK. If not, you'll have to remove tongue weight, which will mean a lighter trailer.

Unfortunately, there's another complicating factor. The gross combined weight (GCW) of the Sienna and trailer must be kept under the rated spec for the GCWR. Again, from the links above, that's approximately in the neighborhood of about 9,000 lbs. The true towing rating based on these weights will be the GCWR - GVW.

Based on this figure, IF the trailer weighs in at 3,500 lbs., that means the Sienna, contents and tongue weight have to be under 9,000 - 3,500 = 5,500 lbs. (Basically, you're trading off 500 lbs. of weight inside the minivan to carry that weight in the trailer.) If your Sienna weighs about 4,700 lbs., that means the weight of the contents and tongue weight have to be kept under (5,500 - 4,700) or 800 lbs. Subtract off the 350 tongue weight and passengers and cargo are limited to about 450 lbs. Wifey and I would push near that (I hope she doesn't ever read this! LOL)

That's a lot of math, but if you wish to operate the vehicle within the limits specified by Toyota, it's a bit more complicated than just assuming that the tow capacity is 3,500 lbs. It IS, but you may have to manage other weights to be able to tow that much.

On another note, I did read a few comments from people who tow with the Sienna that the hitch tends to drag easily pulling into and out of parking lots & driveways. A few reported success by installing air bags on the rear to help lift the back end a bit when towing.

Sorry, didn't mean to inundate with information, but if this is something you're going to pursue, you should know some of the details. And I definitely think it's a possible option for you. We have a Honda Odyssey, but a couple of years back, I rented a Toyota Sienna for a long weekend trip we had to take and I really liked it. Unfortunately, Sienna's can't be flat-tow behind our motorhome, so we're squeezing the life out of our 2001 Odyssey. 🙂

For what it's worth, IF you look at a Sienna, I would recommend that the AWD model might have some advantages when backing into a spot on a low traction surface. I don't think the AWD hardware affects the towing numbers much.

Good Luck, and keep us updated on your decision.

~Rick

ON EDIT: Since you're also soliciting stories, I can tell you that when the kids were young (we had 4) and we took a long trip, I removed one of the mid-row seats in the minivan and replaced it with a Thetford Porta-Potty. (I also velcro mounted an LCD TV screen to it connected to a portable DVD player to keep them distracted while travelling.) When we'd stop at a rest area, wifey & I would use the facilities, but we would let the kids use the porta-potty so we didn't have to subject them to the "messy" restrooms. We just "rotated" them through being in the vehicle. But I think you could get this to work as adults too, just have the other one "step out" for privacy. Oh....and then open the windows a bit. LOL 😉 I still have that Thetford unit and have used it in the moho when we go out in the winter for a day/weekend trip and the rig has been winterized.
2005 Georgie Boy Cruise Master 3625 DS on a Workhorse W-22
Rick, Gail, 1 girl (27-Angel since 2008), 1 girl (22), 2 boys (23 & 20).
2001 Honda Odyssey, Demco Aluminator tow bar & tow plate, SMI Silent Partner brake controller.

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Skibane wrote:

Add the weight of passengers and other personal items in the minivan, and they're probably pretty close to the 3500 lb. limit.

OTOH, Scamps are pretty aerodynamic, so at least they're minimizing frontal surface area and wind loading.

Towing capacity = how much the vehicle can pull behind it.

Payload = weight inside and on top of vehicle plus approx 15 percent of the trailer's loaded weight (aka hitch weight)

Skibane
Explorer II
Explorer II
vermilye wrote:
I often travel with friends that tow a 16' Scamp with a Toyota Sienna mini van. No need to sleep in the van - a bed, bathroom with shower & a pair of bunk beds in front and a bed/dining table in the back in the Scamp. They leave the rear area set up as a permanent bed & eat at lap tables or outside. Well under the 3500 lb limit on the Sienna.

Tal_IL
Explorer
Explorer
Heck, as long as you have "very useful and comfortable and adaptable buttocks", what more do you need?
35 miles from Normal, IL. As close to normal as I'll ever be.

2006 Country Coach Inspire Genoa 40ft

vermilye
Explorer
Explorer
While I tow a 4700 lb 21' Escape fiberglass trailer with a F150, I often travel with friends that tow a 16' Scamp with a Toyota Sienna mini van. No need to sleep in the van - a bed, bathroom with shower & a pair of bunk beds in front and a bed/dining table in the back in the Scamp. They leave the rear area set up as a permanent bed & eat at lap tables or outside. Well under the 3500 lb limit on the Sienna.

p220sigman
Explorer
Explorer
toedtoes wrote:
p220sigman wrote:
BurbMan wrote:
The paradox of the RV, they are never small enough when traveling and never big enough when parked...

Someone needs to invent that Harry Potter tent in maybe an RV form. Have an 18 foot trailer on the outside and 3000 sf mansion on the inside...Maybe Elon is looking into it.:D

Harry Potter copied Dr Who. The Tardis is what we need - it is the ultimate RV!

True. Wouldn't even have to worry about fuel then.

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
p220sigman wrote:
BurbMan wrote:
The paradox of the RV, they are never small enough when traveling and never big enough when parked...

Someone needs to invent that Harry Potter tent in maybe an RV form. Have an 18 foot trailer on the outside and 3000 sf mansion on the inside...Maybe Elon is looking into it.:D

Harry Potter copied Dr Who. The Tardis is what we need - it is the ultimate RV!

p220sigman
Explorer
Explorer
BurbMan wrote:

valhalla360
Nomad
Nomad
Reisender wrote:
You could consider downsizing to an 18 foot teardrop travel trailer and pull it with an Electric vehicle. That’s what we did. We are about 4000 kilometres into an 11000 kilometres Rv road trip right now. So far so good. We are still under 500 bucks for charging costs although we’ll probably break thru that today.

Hope you find a solution. Happy travels.

Interesting. I assume you are using a lot of fast charging stations which cost more than home charging.

4000km = 2440 miles.

Assuming a minivan pulling a teardrop gets 14mpg and $4.50/gal gas prices, that would be $785 in gas.

Savings, yes but not as much as I would have expected.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

folivier
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2011 Roadtrek 210P on a Chevy chassis with 6 liter engine and 6 speed transmission. We average about 15mpg driving at 60mph. I also just towed our Lexus GX470 with it and averaged 12 mpg.
Our Roadtrek has everything needed built in. And is much easier to drive than a small car pulling a small camper.
Just another option.