cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Self adhesive shower grab bar needed

bighatnohorse
Explorer II
Explorer II
The shower wall is a textured surface and not suitable for screws.
So I need an adhesive (not the suction cup) type of grab bar.
I was wondering if anyone has done this project and if you found a suitable product?
2021 Arctic Fox 1150
'15 F350 6.7 diesel dually long bed
Eagle Cap Owners
โ€œThe best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity."
-Yeats
18 REPLIES 18

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
bighatnohorse wrote:
The show is a tiny stand-up-in shower and one side is a flimsy curtain.
One could fall through the curtain, but not actually "fall down" inside the shower.

I did read the reviews on the link.
My hope was someone on this forum already had solved this problem.

Idk how, but you would need to find some structure (a wall stud) to mount to. And even at that, I wouldn't be super comfortable with, moreso, sinking screws into an already semi fragile structure for this purpose.

Sorry to hear of the issue, but I can't think of a good solution here. Too many constraints from space to structure, IMO.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

bighatnohorse
Explorer II
Explorer II
JimK-NY
It might be better to ditch the truck camper and get a class-C or something with a more appropriate shower.
2021 Arctic Fox 1150
Eagle Cap Owners
-Yeats

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
bighatnohorse wrote:
JimK-NY wrote:
My shower at home consists of a tub with tile on three sides and a "flimsy curtain" on one side. There is no grab bar nor have I had to have one. Again, what is the "problem"?

One person has a disability with a sense of balance of about 10-percent.

That sounds like something more than a grab bar is needed. Perhaps a stool to sit on during the showering. Maybe something like a stainless steel walker to use in the shower. A sturdy door instead of a flimsy curtain. The door might even hold a grab bar. I hope you also have a good, non skid flooring surface or at least a shower mat.

10% balance sounds really bad--like the need to sit down to take a shower.

bighatnohorse
Explorer II
Explorer II
JimK-NY wrote:
My shower at home consists of a tub with tile on three sides and a "flimsy curtain" on one side. There is no grab bar nor have I had to have one. Again, what is the "problem"?

One person has a disability with a sense of balance of about 10-percent.
2021 Arctic Fox 1150
Eagle Cap Owners
-Yeats

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
The only rational way to accomplish a safe surface would need a fascia plate of stainless steel or aluminum that would bankrupt any budget. Exlanation: An outside plate beneath the grab bar that would distribute the pull over a couple of square feet.

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II

bighatnohorse
Explorer II
Explorer II
The show is a tiny stand-up-in shower and one side is a flimsy curtain.
One could fall through the curtain, but not actually "fall down" inside the shower.

I did read the reviews on the link.
My hope was someone on this forum already had solved this problem.
2021 Arctic Fox 1150
Eagle Cap Owners
-Yeats

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Textured and self adhesive and camper construction do not go together.

If you need a handle, it needs to be solid.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
bighatnohorse wrote:
jdc1 wrote:
Why not remove the paneling on the opposite wall and put real wood backing where you want the grab bar? Safest long-term thing to do, IMO.

Thats worth looking into.
For a person with balance issues ANYTHING besides a smooth wall would help.
This one: Adhesive Grab Bar is rated at something like 250 pounds.
(the suction cup type are rated at 5 pounds)

Did you read the reviews from your link?

Here's just the first page of reviews..

"We've been using this grab bar for years but twice in the past 6 months I've had to replace the mounting hardware. I follow the directions exactly so not sure why one side or the other comes loose.

I installed a shower bar and a short while later it detached
I called Customer Service, they were extremely accommodating and understanding.
In discussion with them it was apparent that I did not prep the wall appropriately
They sent out a new mounting kit
I followed the directions exactly

The installation instructions were very easy to read and understand. As long as you follow the provided instructions, installation is very simple. The key to a successful installation, is the surface prep. I allowed the adhesive to cure for 48 hours before installing the bars, and their performance has exceeded my expectations.
However, 60 days later, the 36-inch bar fell off on one end. Innovative Products sent out a new Mounting Hardware Set, under warranty. Upon examination of the failed installation photos, it was determined that the wall was not perfectly flat / on the same plane.

After being installed for about 3 weeks, one end of my 36" grab bar failed.

One applies the mastic through a hole in baseplate and 3 weep holes let you know mastic is flowing. To be sure of good adhesion, let plenty of mastic flow to insure a tight bond. Also, make sure the surface has been thoroughly cleaned with alcohol/ acetone. Something went wrong for me but the company provided excellent support and I had a very successful installation."

Not trying to be a jerk, but pretty much every review say's something to the effect of how great the customer service is, some list the failures for the need to contact customer service, some do not.

No matter just how great the customer service may be, it will be well after the fact when the device you installed that was supposed to keep one safe failed unexpectedly.

Not to mention, I highly doubt any of those installs were in a RV (moving, flexing home on the road) with paper thin RV materials.

Heck, I have had car rear view mirror mounts fall right off the window glass more than once. I wouldn't wish to bet my life on anything stuck together solely with adhesives.

Can't beat mechanical fasteners.

OPs best way is to find a way to get sufficient supporting wood behind the surround and drill and screw right on through the surround. Sealants can be applied to provide water tight seal.

OP may need to get creative and find a spot they might be able to remove the wallboard to gain access to the back side of the surround.

bighatnohorse
Explorer II
Explorer II
jdc1 wrote:
Why not remove the paneling on the opposite wall and put real wood backing where you want the grab bar? Safest long-term thing to do, IMO.

Thats worth looking into.
For a person with balance issues ANYTHING besides a smooth wall would help.
This one: Adhesive Grab Bar is rated at something like 250 pounds.
(the suction cup type are rated at 5 pounds)
2021 Arctic Fox 1150
Eagle Cap Owners
-Yeats

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
Is the shower involved big enough to allow a walker to be used? I can't speak for the OP's unit but in our 5er none of the shower' walls would support a grab bar.
Maybe a rod across the top of the enclosure as long as it was low enough to reach.
Puma 30RKSS

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
There has to be a way to do a grab bar securely such as jdc's suggestion.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
JimK-NY wrote:
Forget it. As mentioned a safe grab bar needs something more than double sided tape or adhesives. You would also need to be concerned about the strength of the thin plastic bathroom lining material. Don't worry about screws going into the textured surface, you need to use heavy screws or bolts into structural material behind the surface.

Correct!

From HERE

"A grab bar is only as strong as the anchoring devices and the wall on which it is mounted. Fastening directly into wood โ€œstudโ€ blocking is highly preferred. If wood blocking is not available and you are installing on a hollow wall, be sure to use a hollow wall anchors"

It is highly recommended to mount grab bars through the shower/tub wall and into wood studs. In some cases there may not be studs where you need them and in those cases a toggle hollow wall anchor to spread the load across the back of the wall board (typically drywall board).

With the thin walls of RVs even toggle hollow wall anchors most like will not be sufficient.

I seriously doubt that any glue on bars will be safe at all, if you can even find them for sale.

There are suction cup types, but on a textured surface it would be doubtful that would work.

Not to mention, I have learned over the yrs not to trust suction cups for something this important.. Had a nutty manager decide that my team use manual lifting suction devices to lift 100 lb servers out of the boxes.. First try and one of the suction cups let loose and we nearly had a 100 lb $4K server not only hit the ground but also targeting our feet.. Needless to say, I told the manager where to put his suction cups and idea..

Is there any way you can gain access to the back of the shower wall and add in some plywood to provide strength and a place to screw into?

As far as holes in the surround goes, that is what sealants are for..

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II