cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tonneau Covers

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a long box truck with a Gator tri-fold tonneau cover. The cover is nice because it fits over the hitch and adds some nice dry storage behind the hitch. With the 5er hitched up, I can secure the cover in the open position and the front third of the bed stays covered without interfering with the trailer or hitch.

I though this was a pretty good set up until I went to put some cargo up there on the last camping trip...I had plenty of room ahead of the hitch for the big cooler I wanted to bring, but it wouldn't fit between the top of the hitch and the back edge of the cover. I wound up taking the cover off and leaving it home on that trip.

I'd like to find a cover that let's me run with it partway open when I'm towing, opens all the way to allow full access to the bed, and closes up when I drop the trailer to keep my gear dry. Are the roll-up ones any good? Any brand you guys would recommend?
21 REPLIES 21

CabinetmakerII
Explorer
Explorer
on my 2nd Back Flip. Wouldn't have anything else.
Cabinetmaker

2021 DRV 39 DBRS3
2017 F-450 4X4, Riece 24K Hitch
2011 F-450 4X4, Companion 18K Hitch, Air Bags (Retired)
2012 Cyclone 3800, 5th Airborne Kingpin (Retired)
2018 Polairs 1000 XP Side by Side

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
ford truck guy wrote:
padredw wrote:
What I do not like about the back flip is the fact that it blocks the rear window when opened all the way

Yes it does, but have never had need to drive with it in that position. The hitch works just fine with the cover in the next to last position. The cover snugs down and tows fine in that position; also allows covered storage under that front panel.

Thank You for the explanation....

Correct for towing a fiver next to last position works.
However if you truly need to drive with cover in last position its doable. Having it in window blocking position may still be a better option than removing the cover.
Removing the cover totally is easy enough, but leaving it in last position is still easier than totally removing cover.
Blocking the rear window is not the end of the world.
No worse than towing a fiver where you can't see out the rear window past the trailer.
Once you grasp how the Bak Flip operates/folds you realize it gives you options that the other covers don't.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

padredw wrote:
What I do not like about the back flip is the fact that it blocks the rear window when opened all the way

Yes it does, but have never had need to drive with it in that position. The hitch works just fine with the cover in the next to last position. The cover snugs down and tows fine in that position; also allows covered storage under that front panel.

Thank You for the explanation....
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

padredw
Nomad
Nomad

What I do not like about the back flip is the fact that it blocks the rear window when opened all the way ? Or am I mistaken about that? I have not had one, just seen them online a few times
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
I had a Bak Flip on my Ram and loved it. It was solid, didn't leak, easy to fold, and looked great.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
BurbMan wrote:
Durb wrote:
It sounds as though we might have the exact same setup. I also have a Trailer Saver TS3 which gives me 14" between the hitch and the wheel wells to slide stuff in from the sides. I'm guessing the BD series hitches are wider. I have a friend with the BakFlip and he loves it.

I went out and looked over during lunch and it's about 12" from the back of the cover to the hitch. There is room between the hitch and the wheelwells, but the Curt rails go almost the whole way across. So you can fit stuff in alongside the hitch, but you really can't slide anything on the bed because of the 2 rails.

The Bak Flip looks like the way to go, now I just need to convince management that it's worth a grand....

Hey Lantley, since you also turned me on to the Trailer Saver, you could save me some time and just make me a list of other stuff I need now that I'm a fiver driver....LOL>..

I'll step up and help you spend some more of your money. Get yourself a BedRug Bed Mat and cut openings in it for the rails. The mat is about as thick as the rails so stuff slides right over the top of them. And, so soft on the knees. Since you are already writing checks, might as well get the tailgate mat too!

ZeeLet50
Explorer
Explorer
I have the soft TonnaPro style cover that stays down with Velcro. I usually put wood up against the can and leave the cover over it. I use bungie cords that go from the loops at the cab side down to hooks in the bed side. It keeps the cover in place without flapping. I may have to occasionally pull things tight but if the bungie are close to where the Velcro is it holds well and does not interfere. I put my gen and cooler between the hitch and tailgate if needed. I have the Anderson hitch so there is plenty of room.
2017 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS towed by a 2016 GMC 2500HD gas with Andersen hitch and B&W turnover ball mount.

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
BurbMan wrote:
Durb wrote:
It sounds as though we might have the exact same setup. I also have a Trailer Saver TS3 which gives me 14" between the hitch and the wheel wells to slide stuff in from the sides. I'm guessing the BD series hitches are wider. I have a friend with the BakFlip and he loves it.

I went out and looked over during lunch and it's about 12" from the back of the cover to the hitch. There is room between the hitch and the wheelwells, but the Curt rails go almost the whole way across. So you can fit stuff in alongside the hitch, but you really can't slide anything on the bed because of the 2 rails.

The Bak Flip looks like the way to go, now I just need to convince management that it's worth a grand....

Hey Lantley, since you also turned me on to the Trailer Saver, you could save me some time and just make me a list of other stuff I need now that I'm a fiver driver....LOL>..

Don't follow my lead. I'll have you buying a bunch a **** that you don't need!
By the way I figured out the Bak flip was the correct cover for my needs after totally destroying a Retrax cover.... due to user abuse/error.....So I guess you can learn from my mistakes!
Correct Trax,Splendide

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Durb wrote:

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
BurbMan wrote:
LOL good point! The ice chest was just an example though...the issue is that the cover only folds in thirds, and when it's open the front third is fixed in place. The hitch is a Hensley Trailer Saver mounted on Curt rails. When the cover is open, the back edge of it is only about 6" in front of the hitch, and with the wheel wells on the either side it's difficult to get anything in the front of the bed. The cover comes off completely with 2 thumbscrews, but you have to crawl up in the bed to reach them, which again is difficult with the hitch. If that front section was hinged so you could lift it up without completely detaching it, that would be perfect. The BakFlip looks like what I need.

Another knock against the super tall trucks (especially the 4x4s) they are building.

I have a 2008 4x2 and it's easy to reach from the side to release the thumb screws.

Even so, the stuff way to the front is typically stuff that we don't use a lot. Something like a cooler, I want access and I don't really care if it gets wet, so it would go toward the back.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Durb
Explorer
Explorer

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Durb wrote:
Don't mean to be a wise -A, but it would be cheaper to replace the big chest with two smaller ones.

LOL good point! The ice chest was just an example though...the issue is that the cover only folds in thirds, and when it's open the front third is fixed in place. The hitch is a Hensley Trailer Saver mounted on Curt rails. When the cover is open, the back edge of it is only about 6" in front of the hitch, and with the wheel wells on the either side it's difficult to get anything in the front of the bed. The cover comes off completely with 2 thumbscrews, but you have to crawl up in the bed to reach them, which again is difficult with the hitch. If that front section was hinged so you could lift it up without completely detaching it, that would be perfect. The BakFlip looks like what I need.

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
I have a Bak Filip G-4?
It folds into 4 parts not 3. I flip it back for towing and close it when not towing. Works well with my hitch.
Correct Trax,Splendide