cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Goodyear recalls 173,000 RV tires

Fisher_Bill
Explorer
Explorer
Saw this article but it looks like it cover much older model tires than what I have, might want to check yours?;

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2022/06/07/goodyear-recalls-173-00-rv-tires-after-being-pressured-nhtsa/7543900001/
2006 Chevy 3500 Dually 6.6 Duramax Diesel & Allison Transmission
2010 Northshore 28RK by Dutchmen
Our first fifth wheel!!!
13 REPLIES 13

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Despite being discontinued, it is possible that these tires can be found for purchase on online marketplaces. It is illegal under federal law to sell recalled tires or other motor vehicle equipment.

NHTSA opened a defect investigation into G159 tires based on claim and complaint data obtained from private litigation alleging that Goodyear G159 tires installed on Class A motor homes failed in service, causing deaths or personal injuries.

Drivers with impacted tires are encouraged to obtain a free replacement from a Goodyear Commercial Tire and Service Network location or authorized Goodyear commercial truck tire dealer immediately. Visit goodyearrvtires.com or goodyeartrucktires.com to locate the nearest retailer or call 866-353-3847.

Goodyear is offering $500 in exchange for impacted tires that have not been fitted on an RV. Please contact Goodyear Consumer Relations at 800-592-3267 for information on the exchange process.

Despite being discontinued, it is possible that these tires can be found for purchase on online marketplaces. It is illegal under federal law to sell recalled tires or other motor vehicle equipment.

valhalla360
Nomad
Nomad
So what do they give you if you have one?
- If it's prorated based on the remaining service life, they will probably give you a $0.25 coupon off your next $250 tire (kind of stealth marketing, as they will make plenty of profit to more than cover the "recall"?
- If it's a brand new tire, could be a good deal if you have the old ones out in the barn that you didn't pay to have the dump take off your hands.

Reminds me of the recall on the water heater in our 1979 boat. At the time the boat was 30yrs old, they sent me a brand new water heater under recall to replace the old rusted out unit that I had bypassed (nothing related to the recall).
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
In related news, The NHSTA has ordered Ford to recall all Pinto's even tho the last was made 42 years ago in 1980. Doug
:B

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
we had G-159 tires on the 2001 alpenlte 5 years later still looking new we bought G-614's and never had any tire issues . chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

Allworth
Explorer
Explorer
Anybody who is still running on one of the listed tires has worse problems than a recall!!

Also I have to agree that 22.5s are rare on fivers.
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
bob213 wrote:
That's our government hard at work keeping us safe !!! A recall on tires that are 19 years old?? I sure hope they don't recall my new 2022 Endurance in 2041 but I'll have to wait and see...;)

I have a different perspective.
Goodyear knew they had tread loss issues with the G159 tires used on motor homes and regional service trucks early on. We saw that even on this website/other rv forums and commercial truck type forums.
They ignored the problem or fix the G159 issues instead they stopped production.

Big money...big business at work... has much to do with stopping/delaying any gov agency to order a mfg to recall their unsafe product.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Retired JSO wrote:
Donโ€™t know of anyone that would have 22.5โ€ tires on a fiver let alone, tires 19 years old.

They WERE a popular size and tire for motor homes.
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
That's our government hard at work keeping us safe !!! A recall on tires that are 19 years old?? I sure hope they don't recall my new 2022 Endurance in 2041 but I'll have to wait and see...;)
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality โ€“ Ayn Rand

Retired_JSO
Explorer
Explorer
Donโ€™t know of anyone that would have 22.5โ€ tires on a fiver let alone, tires 19 years old.

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
https://www.freep.com/story/money/business/michigan/2022/06/07/goodyear-rv-recreational-vehicle-tire...
The recall was about 20 years too late for some folks.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
The tires that are being recalled are at least 15 to 20 years old. i would not mount them on my old utility trailer to take on the road.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

stripit
Explorer
Explorer
This is utter crazy, Who would have these old tires still hanging around???
Stacey Frank
2016 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40AP
2019 Tesla Model X
2015 Cadillac SRX we Tow
1991 Avanti Convertible

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II