cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Will a 3/4 ton do

rarin_2go
Explorer
Explorer
I have an rv that is at the 14000 GVWR. I need a new tow vehicle and was wondering if a 2500 or 3/4 ton truck would safely tow this. I would appreciate your knowledgeable input on this. Would this being a 5th wheel make a difference?

Thanks
Mike
160 REPLIES 160

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
blt2ski wrote:
Ron,

I'm not he and I would get along either. I'd tell he was full of BS. He obviously does not know the legal limits, vs warranty wieght limits or smart wieght limits per say.

Marty

It was VERY frustrating as they accused me of supposedly trying to sell my new DRV and RAM as I said "I have the combo for you" to someone looking for a truck and RV. I clearly stated I liked what I had and thought the person would also. So BAM lifetime BAN!!!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

blt2ski
Ron,

I'm not he and I would get along either. I'd tell he was full of BS. He obviously does not know the legal limits, vs warranty wieght limits or smart wieght limits per say.

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Guess I rubbed him wrong by asking him why my SAE RAWR could be 9,750# and unloaded front axle 5,250# and not exceed the 14k GVWR. He was a die hard "do not exceed your GVWR" type of guy but would not address the above when presented with FACTS.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

Sport45
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
MFL wrote:
Grit dog said: "Cool thig was, no warnings, no timeouts, just straight up hammertime!"

If you used same screen name, they saw you comin! Lol...with your rep, they knew a reprimand would just prolong the inevitable.

You are more appreciated here, sarcasm maybe, but with a nice touch! Just being on delay here, adds anticipation, we have to WAIT FOR IT!

I disagree with you sometimes, but only when you are wrong, and I am right! Lol

Jerry

Wouldn't have been a fair contest if I was wearing camouflage!

So did you encounter "Smoky Wren" ?

Very pathetic group of moderators.

Iโ€™m going to say he didnโ€™t. It looks like SmokeyWren hasnโ€™t posted on that forum since September โ€˜21. May not even be among the living any moreโ€ฆ

I never dealt with him on the IRV2 forum but he used to be pretty helpful on one of the old Ford truck forums back in the day. It was a diesel site and he left when he switched to a F-150 EcoBoost IIRC.
โ€™19 F350 SRW CCLB PSD Fx4
'00 F250, CC SWB 4x2, V-10 3.73LS. (sold)
'83 F100 SWB 4x2, 302 AOD 3.55. (parked)
'05 GMC Envoy 4x2 4.2 3.73L.
'12 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
'15 Cherokee Trailhawk

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Grit dog wrote:
MFL wrote:
Grit dog said: "Cool thig was, no warnings, no timeouts, just straight up hammertime!"

If you used same screen name, they saw you comin! Lol...with your rep, they knew a reprimand would just prolong the inevitable.

You are more appreciated here, sarcasm maybe, but with a nice touch! Just being on delay here, adds anticipation, we have to WAIT FOR IT!

Jerry

So did you encounter "Smoky Wren" ?

Very pathetic group of moderators.

WinMinnie02
Explorer
Explorer
Michelle S you are correct not sure why OP is asking probably already knew the answer. Sometimes wonder why they ask, guess forums are good for info, opinions, even learn something new not relating to the question.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
MFL wrote:

Jerry

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II

Jerry

blt2ski
Lololol ??????

I was hoping you'd pull of a week or two at best! I didn't think you'd last long with your sarcasm!

Some have no sense of humor.

Marty

blt2ski
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Marty i dated a gal years ago that lived on Union Hill Rd in Redmond. In my mind I remember there is a very steep section or am I dreaming this?

Didn't see post from when ever.
Union, novelty, pine lake plateau ALL have some roads in the 15-20+ % relm. If you go up the hills south of I90 in Eastgate area, to somerset, hilltop, the summit, cougar and susk Mrs, again, a number of steep, reasonably short, still long and steep enough to stall a rig out if you have improper axle/trans gearing for the rig your driving.
Had a client just south of Newport beach park, had a 33% grade from home up to RR tracks than ran along east side, just before 405. That was fun getting material, ie 150 us if topsoil in the shortest tandem WB truck I could get, 12 yds at a time out of Redmond. A transfer couldn't make the 90* corner at the bottom. If the brakes let loose, thru the garage, kitchen, lake Washington was maybe 50' later! A barge might have been easier, like Kenny did at the Gates mansion. Brakes were coming and going from there. That was 20%, at least one 180 hairpin turn.......Kenny gave me a tour, quite the 3mil landscape project.

Marty

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
blt2ski wrote:
Grit

I'll give you 2 months before you get a ban stick of deorerant! Or any other number of muderator tools at their disposal.....

Yeah, should be an oder or two dumping.

In some of the sailing forums I look at, getting banned from one particular forum is a badge of honor! IRV2 would be one for rving IMHO!

Marty

"Grit you will have a blast there. Please let us know how long it takes to get your first timeout." - 12V

I may have surpassed the 2 months, but if so, not by much! Just looked today and I have a perma tan...I mean perma ban. Been a few weeks since I checked in, though so Marty you may have won that bet hands down!
And I bet I didn't have 20 posts maybe?

Some nice feller by the name of LtDan signed off on it. Anyone have his digits so I can send him a thankyou card?

Cool thig was, no warnings, no timeouts, just straight up hammertime!

Thought y'all might want to know. You'll have to reach me at my rv.net address. I've been evicted from the other place. LOL!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Michelle_S
Explorer II
Explorer II
Come on Guys, we all know that these "Can I tow this or that with what ever" don't want actual honest answers. They're only looking for that answer that says "I've been doing it for X number of years". Once they have that answer there're gone happily on there way, regardless of all the negative truth full answers.
2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

Grit dog wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
blt2ski wrote:
Grit

I'll give you 2 months before you get a ban stick of deorerant! Or any other number of muderator tools at their disposal.....

Yeah, should be an oder or two dumping.

In some of the sailing forums I look at, getting banned from one particular forum is a badge of honor! IRV2 would be one for rving IMHO!

Marty

I was literally shocked how I was treated over there. Especially the lame excuse I violated their no sale rules. It was clear to anyone who had half a brain tied behind their back I was not selling anything. Oh well at least here we can do a little ribbing and not get sent to time out.

Grit you will have a blast there. Please let us know how long it takes to get your first timeout.

Hahaha, will do! (If I even post over there).
Is there some sort of record Iโ€™m trying to beat? Little healthy competition to whet the ole keyboard !

So you think name droppin some of my good rvnet buddies will help? Lol

Instead of that game " Name That Tune" - " I can name that tune in 5 words"... Rename it - " I can tossed off a forum" - I can get tossed in 2 threads ! !
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Marty i dated a gal years ago that lived on Union Hill Rd in Redmond. In my mind I remember there is a very steep section or am I dreaming this?