cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

RV retail sales drop 31% April year over year.

Camper445
Explorer
Explorer
Article

With fuel approaching $5.00 per gallon national average and predicted to keep climbing, watch this accelerate like a runaway train. Of course they still sugarcoat it, which is to be expected coming from the RV Industry's propaganda publication.
64 REPLIES 64

dedmiston
This thread feels done to me.

Move along.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
shelbyfv wrote:
ferndaleflyer wrote:
Shall I list the reasons? Lets start with SSI, food stamps, medical cards, free or subsidized housing, food banks, and there is more. If you know how to work the system the last thing you need is a full time job....
Also Social Security and Medicare, our two largest income transfer programs. Lots of old folks would probably be back looking for work if we cut those! I agree this has little relevance to RV sales.

Nice spin....I'd bet a few bucks he wasn't referring to the intended recipients and those that SHOULD be collecting the SSI they paid into....
Thanks for playing!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Cloud_Dancer
Explorer II
Explorer II
"Divided we will fall"
Is this a political statement, or is it simply argumentative,....or both?
IMO it's a waste of time to pretend that we can solve these problems here. Let's just stay united by using RVing as the glue. It's just a suggestion, I'm not a preacher. I'm a senior citizen who knows some very important things about driving a motorhome safely.
Willie & Betty Sue
Miko & Sparky
2003 41 ft Dutch Star Diesel Pusher/Spartan
Floorplan 4010
Blazer toad & Ranger bassboat

shelbyfv
Explorer
Explorer
ferndaleflyer wrote:
Shall I list the reasons? Lets start with SSI, food stamps, medical cards, free or subsidized housing, food banks, and there is more. If you know how to work the system the last thing you need is a full time job....
Also Social Security and Medicare, our two largest income transfer programs. Lots of old folks would probably be back looking for work if we cut those! I agree this has little relevance to RV sales.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
PButler96 wrote:
larry cad wrote:
I wonder when we will start seeing a similar drop in new car sales? Prices now are WAY to high.

Give it a little time, as in months. 4 to 6 maybe. We're already in a recession despite what Mumbles claims.

I think I agree, although unlike RVs whose mfgs and dealers are now again flush with inventory on a recreational โ€œluxury โ€œ commodity, vehicle inventory new and used is still ridiculously low.
I think itโ€™ll take longer to see vehicle prices normalize, unfortunately.

Itโ€™s funny to see the RVers get all weirded up about RV sales.
Just looking at total sales data, it doesnโ€™t even make sense that more than 300-400k RVs a year is normal. So comparing to the previous 2 years is pointless.

PButler96
Explorer
Explorer
larry cad wrote:
I wonder when we will start seeing a similar drop in new car sales? Prices now are WAY to high.

Give it a little time, as in months. 4 to 6 maybe. We're already in a recession despite what Mumbles claims.
I have a burn barrel in my yard.

larry_cad
Explorer
Explorer
Today is my personal best for most consecutive days alive.

Our Travel Blog

PButler96
Explorer
Explorer
31% drop in April. How about a 31.5% drop in May? That's sort of telling taking into account Mar/Apr/May are the months that are historically the months with the largest sales numbers.

Party Over
I have a burn barrel in my yard.

bob_nestor
Explorer III
Explorer III
propchef wrote:
ferndaleflyer wrote:
GoDucks you just don't understand how the system works---plenty of people getting paid to stay home.

Complete nonsense and has no bearing on this topic. We're at full employment and many hourly folks still work more than one job.

The government has six different official measures of unemployment - U1 thru U6. Pick the one that supports the story you like. Probably a better measure is the labor participation rate since it measures the percentage of people capable of working who are actually working and paying taxes. That number has declined.

The real question I think people should be asking is how can the unemployment rate DECLINE with an increasing population when there are fewer people employed now than when the unemployment rate was higher?

Retired_JSO
Explorer
Explorer
Even with the price of fuel, there was too many RVโ€™s to count going N & S on I-75 over 2 days last week.

DallasSteve
Nomad
Nomad
Winnebago Cuts Back Production

Maybe someone has already posted this. I saw this story today that Winnebago is cutting production for the rest of the year because demand is decreasing. They said their current inventory of motorhomes is valued at $150,000 per unit, up from about $120,000 at the same time last year. But the CEO warned that the company's ability to raise prices has "peaked." Probably because gas is $5 a gallon and it's no longer raining money from Washington.
2022 JAYCO JAY FLIGHT SLX 8 324BDS
2022 FORD F-250 XL CREW CAB 4X4
All my exes live in Texas, that's why I live in an RV

propchef
Explorer
Explorer
redhooker wrote:
Used market is still very brisk here in FL. Sky-high rent combined with unaffordable mortgage interest rates (a 200k motgage is up $400/month from January) is pushing a lot of people into full time lifestyles. Locally campgrounds have doubled monthly rent but still substantially cheaper than an apartment right now.

I bought my first house in 1982. My interest rate was just a bit over 13%, and it was THAT low because we were first-time buyers.

We've enjoyed historically low mortgage rates for almost ten years now. While they have gone up, I wouldn't generally describe them as "unaffordable" any more than they have been. In many markets, real estate sales are slowing, even here in the Bay Area. I think, for now, lower prices (in certain markets) will offset interest rates.

Demand for durable goods is still high, and demand for luxury items is still high including RVs. Many, if not all of the price increases we're seeing are tied to outside forces (most notably Russia v Ukraine) and the recovery from a worldwide pandemic that wrecked the supply chain.

Lots are full, manufacturers are talking about slowing production to more realistically meet demand, and the industry is taking a collective deep breath and looking closely at the last two years, trying to read the tea leaves for the coming two years.

I set a budget when I started looking, and for the last 18 months the TTs I want (well cared for used models, between 3-8 years old)have all been 32-35% more than my budget, and I'm finally starting to see them starting to fall within my range. By this Fall I should have a good selection and I hope to find what I want locally.

My local Lance dealer sent me a flyer for HUGE reductions over MSRP. lol Well, OK, I know it's hype but I haven't seen any dealers advertising discounts or sales before this.

It will soon be a buyers market.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
ferndaleflyer wrote:
Shall I list the reasons? Lets start with SSI, food stamps, medical cards, free or subsidized housing, food banks, and there is more. If you know how to work the system the last thing you need is a full time job. Need some extra cash sell some of your free meds, mow a couple of yards. You think this is not going on you are unaware of the way the real world works. And then there is the way the numbers are juggled to feed the results they want you to see. Nothing negative.

^Totally accurate post.
Iโ€™ll addโ€ฆ
Subsidized utilities
Subsidized or free child care
Free student breakfast and lunches at school

redhooker
Explorer
Explorer
Used market is still very brisk here in FL. Sky-high rent combined with unaffordable mortgage interest rates (a 200k motgage is up $400/month from January) is pushing a lot of people into full time lifestyles. Locally campgrounds have doubled monthly rent but still substantially cheaper than an apartment right now.