Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: RV retail sales drop 31% April year over year.
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> RV retail sales drop 31% April year over year.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/10/22 12:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ERVs to combat fuel prices?
Lol roflmao!
For anyone who can’t or won’t take a trip due to the gas prices, they sure as heck ain’t buying/can’t afford a brand new RV much less an EV one if it existed.

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

afidel

Cleveland

View Profile

Posted: 06/10/22 01:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RetiredRealtorRick wrote:

Remember this from recent days: "A major RV maker now has more than $18 billion in backlogged orders and says its dealers may not be fully restocked until 2023"

Of course, the article was referring to Thor. Odd, however, that when I do a nationwide search on RVTrader, I find OVER 5,500 brand new, unsold, Thor products sitting on the ground on dealer's lots, or imminently inbound -- and that's just the Thor brand, not factoring-in any of the other companies owned by Thor.

I just find it interesting.

Thor was obviously talking about channel stuffing (forcing dealerships to buy additional inventory to get good pricing or maintain status). They had access to this data well before RVIA released it, they knew where the trend line was headed and were just trying to keep the stock price up long enough for options to vest and for scheduled trades to happen. That announcement was all about making a few executives a bit more money at the expense of shareholders without technically lying enough to get sued.

2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

dapperdan

Milwaukee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/10/22 02:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would LOVE to hear what the assembly people building RVs here have to say about production levels and demand. We're in Elkhart IN right now and from the little driving around we've done so far there are just TONS of completed RVs sitting on mfg's grounds and in open fields here! It sure looks to me like they're close to capacity as far as inventory goes and I haven't noticed a lot of transporters out and about.

I wonder at what point are these various manufactures going to begin slowing down, laying off assemblers??

Just my two cents......

Dan

goducks10

There

View Profile

Posted: 06/10/22 02:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dapperdan wrote:

I would LOVE to hear what the assembly people building RVs here have to say about production levels and demand. We're in Elkhart IN right now and from the little driving around we've done so far there are just TONS of completed RVs sitting on mfg's grounds and in open fields here! It sure looks to me like they're close to capacity as far as inventory goes and I haven't noticed a lot of transporters out and about.

I wonder at what point are these various manufactures going to begin slowing down, laying off assemblers??

Just my two cents......

Dan

Over on the Grand Design forum those in the know said GD is down to 4 days a week and planning a 2 week shutdown in July for a retool.

I'm sure other brands will follow suit eventually if they haven't already.

FlatBroke

CO/AZ

View Profile

Posted: 06/11/22 08:11am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I’m just waiting for a late model Mobile Suites to buy for penny’s on the dollar. ??

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

delwhjr

TX

View Profile

Posted: 06/11/22 10:19am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have started following a local consignment dealer to gauge the market. PPL Motorhomes has three times as many units for sale than in previous months and they are having more "specials" with reduced prices. This seems to indicate the used market is being inundated and the pricing is falling. It will be interesting when the travel season is over to see where it continues to go.

2022 Rockwood 2109S
2006 Durango HEMI

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/11/22 11:16am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Interesting isn’t a strong enough word. Sad will be a good start, but this fall won’t be the bottom of the market unfortunately. It will not be good though and on that we most all agree. Which is really the bad part as not many things we all y’all agree on !

dapperdan

Milwaukee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/11/22 03:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"Over on the Grand Design forum those in the know said GD is down to 4 days a week and planning a 2 week shutdown in July for a retool.

I'm sure other brands will follow suit eventually if they haven't already."

I believe that! We moved from Elkhart to Shipshewana today and there are a lot of (new) RVs sitting around! There sure seems to be a "robust" inventory around! I guess time will tell for sure but it sure looks like the RV world is going to repeat history, as in '08. [emoticon]

Dan

WinMinnie02

NJ

View Profile

Posted: 06/12/22 11:36am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

LT Rvers 20+ years will not be affected have seen the same movie before, recession, gas prices, Great Recession, etc. Ignored Covid RV sales hype and doom and gloom gas prices. If you are serious about the lifestyle price drop is a good think, negotiate hard. Fewer RVers fewer crowds.

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/12/22 01:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

afidel wrote:

Thor was obviously talking about channel stuffing (forcing dealerships to buy additional inventory to get good pricing or maintain status). They had access to this data well before RVIA released it, they knew where the trend line was headed and were just trying to keep the stock price up long enough for options to vest and for scheduled trades to happen. That announcement was all about making a few executives a bit more money at the expense of shareholders without technically lying enough to get sued.

Not just stock prices but the longer they can keep the appearance of a shortage, people will grab whatever is on the lot for full price and they don't have to give the dealers discounted inventory (or rebates or...what ever marketing term you want to use).

Once word is out that the market is crashing, a lot of buyers are likely to wait and see if the sales numbers and pricing comes down...creating a self fulfilling prophesy as they further reduce demand.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> RV retail sales drop 31% April year over year.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.