cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

When the water pump turns on by itself.

cbshoestring
Explorer
Explorer
We started out this week long trip at a state park with just an electric hook-up. Not long after settling in, I hear the water pump kick in, even though no one is using water. My spidey senses alert me to trouble.

Sit and listen. Yep, there it is again. The pump did a quick on and off.

NEWBIE ALERT: Pressurizing your water system using the pump is a good way to check for leaks. The system should hold pressure. If the pump turns on by itself....find the leak.

The toilet bowl was almost overflowing. Apparently the valve was leaking...luckily into the bowl.

Picked up a new valve on the way to 2nd camp ground. Not a major deal with some basic hand tools. Quick removal of toilet. NO...those chemicals do NOT make the black tank smell citric lemony fresh. Quick change of the value. Reinstall toilet.

Very thankful that I caught it BEFORE overflowing. Turning the pump on, only when needed...keeping an eye on the bowl, sure beats the mess it could have been.
12 REPLIES 12

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
ferndaleflyer wrote:
I have my pump hooked up so when it is powered the vanity light comes on. Light is off, pump is off. If vanity lights are on, shaving etc, the pressure switch in the pump will shut it off when pressure is reached.

Good reminder fo sho!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

dedmiston
Glad to hear (no pun intended) that your fixes are working.

Enjoy yourself.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

cbshoestring
Explorer
Explorer
I really hadn't given the water pump or toilet valve, much thought over the years.
Since replacing the valve on Wednesday, I find myself being very intuned to the sound of the pump.

We have stayed on tank water, even though we are full hook-up.

All has been good. Replacement valve (Thetford Aqua Magic v) doing its job.

Enjoying Ohio Amish country. Big thumbs up to Evergreen Park RV Resort, LTD.

covered_wagon
Explorer
Explorer
Finding no leaks when my water pump was running about 2 seconds every half hour I changed the pressure switch, 38 bucks on Amazon. I am almost certain that was the problem since the pump is over 18 years old. The motor bearings where still good and added some lubrication to the bearings. Man does it work great now.

RoyF
Explorer
Explorer
In addition to the problem of leaks, I like to use the water pump while camping for another reason: to keep FRESH water in the fresh-water tank. The fresh-water tank needs to be topped up about every third day. The pump gets turned off at night or when we leave for a while.

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have my pump hooked up so when it is powered the vanity light comes on. Light is off, pump is off. If vanity lights are on, shaving etc, the pressure switch in the pump will shut it off when pressure is reached.

dedmiston
MitchF150 wrote:
Yeah, I know... I've been surprised by things on the road that the 'driveway' run did not show too over the last couple decades of doing this.

But, just think if you had been hooked up to city water... The toilet valve would have still failed, but other than water flowing from the bowl, no warning..

I hope all the folks that hook up to city water, turn it OFF when they leave the site for an extended period of time for the day (ie: day trip)..

I always turn off my pump before leaving the even an hour or the whole day.

I've seen 2 RV's in the camp ground with water coming out of the corners of the rig in my time... Turned off the city water for them and waited to tell them why I had to do that.. But it was kinda obvious when they got back.

Mitch

You beat me to it. The leaky toilet would have overflowed using city water, except it wouldn't have made any noise.

I always shut off the city water at camp when we leave for the day, just out of superstition (and my wife thinks I'm a dork). We never turn off the pump when we're boondocking though. It's irrational, but humans are weird that way. I think my justification is that the water pump puts out a predictable pressure, but the park water supply is a wild card even though we use a regulator.

(And my wife would find another reason to think I'm a dork even if I didn't turn off the city water.)

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^ Good recommendation!
RVs in general arenโ€™t the same as a household system. Sure some plumbing components are the same and very reliable. But some arenโ€™t, combined with the small magnitude earthquakes they experience while getting to and from your destination, leaves the propensity for a leak or issue to be more common than at home.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
Yeah, I know... I've been surprised by things on the road that the 'driveway' run did not show too over the last couple decades of doing this.

But, just think if you had been hooked up to city water... The toilet valve would have still failed, but other than water flowing from the bowl, no warning..

I hope all the folks that hook up to city water, turn it OFF when they leave the site for an extended period of time for the day (ie: day trip)..

I always turn off my pump before leaving the even an hour or the whole day.

I've seen 2 RV's in the camp ground with water coming out of the corners of the rig in my time... Turned off the city water for them and waited to tell them why I had to do that.. But it was kinda obvious when they got back.

Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

Ol_coot
Explorer
Explorer
I know this should be done without saying, but a friendly reminder. Turn the pump off while driving....
Couple we are traveling with left pump on. To add to trouble sink plug was installed... some how the faucet was turned on. YEP...Empty fresh water tank, about 40 gallons sink over flowed. Huge mess...
Turn off pump..... when traveling.

cbshoestring
Explorer
Explorer
MitchF150 wrote:

I know stuff can happen while on the road too, but I always do my 'driveway' tests before leaving for a trip. Get all the services going a day or two before and monitor.

Mitch

I did a complete service prior to leaving.
Things never break when convenient. Dealer charged me $50.00 for a part Amazon could have delivered for $30.00.

Spent the extra $20.00 for the satisfaction of having it fixed NOW, while we need it. Cheaper than a tank of gas.

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
Great example of why I pretty much only use my onboard water and pump when 'camping'.. Even at sites with water hookups..

Been doing this for the last 20 years.. ๐Ÿ™‚

I know stuff can happen while on the road too, but I always do my 'driveway' tests before leaving for a trip. Get all the services going a day or two before and monitor.

I will switch the pump off, let is sit over night and switch it back on. If it runs, then I'll start looking around, but so far, it does not trigger, so I know it's all tight.

It's also that the pumps 'valve' could be weak and just letting water/pressure go back to the tank... But, never hurts to check the lines where you can find them and the toilet is usually the first place to look.

Good catch cbshoestrig!

Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.