cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Happy With Android OS

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
I'm relatively new to Android devices. I'm a long-time Windows user, and also experienced with the iPad.

Besides my Samsung Android phone, I now own 2 fairly new ONN (Walmart brand) Android tablets (8" & 10.1", both running Android 11) plus an RCA android tablet with detachable keyboard (it only runs Android 6, and can't be upgraded, and is extremely slow). I've found the Android OS to be very intuitive, and not difficult to learn. I think I own enough devices for now. :C

So, nothing important..I just wanted to squawk a little. :B
Mr. Ed (fulltiming since 1987)
Life is fragile. Handle with prayer.

2007 Hitchhiker II LS Model 29.5 LKTG (sold)
2007 Dodge Ram 3500/6.7 CTD/QC/4X4/SB/SRW/6-speed man/Big Horn edition (sold)
8 REPLIES 8

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
I had forgot to mention, the lower cost of Android devices. Both of my Android tablets together cost about half of my iPad ( I still think the iPad is a higher quality device, though). Anyhow, Iโ€™m still completely satisfied with my 2 ONN tablets. Well see, over time, how well they hold up. Still, theyโ€™re cheap enough to replace even if theyโ€™ve lasted for only a year or less (itโ€™s not even worth paying for an extended warranty IMHO).
Mr. Ed (fulltiming since 1987)
Life is fragile. Handle with prayer.

2007 Hitchhiker II LS Model 29.5 LKTG (sold)
2007 Dodge Ram 3500/6.7 CTD/QC/4X4/SB/SRW/6-speed man/Big Horn edition (sold)

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Interesting. I know little about Android. TY.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
mr. ed wrote:
I've found the Android OS to be very intuitive, and not difficult to learn. I think I own enough devices for now.

Have likely, the same RCA tablet.. Have a 2nd "kiddie" Android More in a sec) And an Android phone plus two Chromebook (Which run android (limited) as well as Linux)

Going from Windows to 'Droid.. about a 2 seconds of learning. Do not use IOS as for much of what I do it's an "incompatible Operating System" but I've had occasion to work on IOS devices.. No problem.

I got the Kiddie tablet to run one program RS-MS1A from ICOM.
The tablet links via Blue Tooth to my Icom ID-5100 D-Star 2-way radio (This is a Ham Radio you need a license. Technician or better).

The program has several modules/screens. the default screen is basically the radio's "Dash" (On screen display) for the main channel (This radio has both a Main and a Sub) But the is also a "MAP" page. if the other station is transmitting GPS as part of his header it will display his location.. It has a "Messenger" page. Like the messenger feature on your phone. It has a Photo Share We can send pictures to one another. And of course all the obligatory application control pages. I can easily use the tablets for other stuff. but considering the cost (About 60 bucks) That's about all I use the kiddie tablet for.

Actually.. that is a whole lot of computing power.
There is also a 2nd program I could use with a different radio but.... I don't.. because as cheap as that Tablet is. the Raspberry Pi Zero W that handles that task $10.00

But the tablet can control that program via HTTP... Or "Adjust" it via SSH.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

garym114
Explorer
Explorer
Just as OP, long time Windows phone user. Replaced with android Nokia phone two years ago, still getting updates.
2000 Sea Breeze F53 V10 - CR-V Toad
Some RV batteries live a long and useful life, some are murdered.
Get a Digital Multimeter and Learn How to Use It

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
I have install Remix_OS_for_PC_Android_M_64bit_B2016112101 (a PC version of android for PC on my laptop) and have been working 7 days to try to understand android so I can run some android games that my grand-son likes on a larger screen. I have also tried "BlueStacks".

Still not happy with the results.
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Iโ€™ll support the notion that Android is a better option than Windows for a variety of reasons unless you have a need for software that only runs on Windows. Glad you are happy with your choice of OS. Iโ€™ve heard but good things about Android.

I standardized on IOS and thus far we have two iPhones XRโ€™s, two iPads - one a 5+ yo Pro, two Apple watches, one Apple TV, and two cars with Apple CarPlay. All running current version of IOS. I have an old Windows Surface I use for doing my taxes but that ends next year and itโ€™ll be recycled.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

Janss
Explorer
Explorer
I'm sort of the opposite. I've used Mac laptops for years and years, but never got an iPhone. Have always had Android cell phones. Don't plan on changing my ways in the future.
2002 Itasca Suncruiser 32V
2012 Suzuki Grand Vitara

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Get Gboard! Makes edit text much easier.