cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

RV Generator

ilvtravln
Explorer II
Explorer II
We live in Calif. so options have become limited. We need 2 generators so we can run at least 1 A/C., approx. 50 lbs. each. I do like Honda but they are not smog legal here anymore, what other brand rate high on the list. Also want one that is fairly quiet. Thanks
Art
13 REPLIES 13

Njmurvin
Explorer
Explorer
I have the A-iPower from Costco that has the Yamaha engine. I only have one, but it comes with all the stuff needed to connect two of them together. I haven't used it much (only for bad solar days camping and power emergencies at home), but it seems to work well so far.
2020 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Duramax 4x4 Crew Cab Standard box

2011 Arctic Fox 27.5L

Skibane
Explorer II
Explorer II
valhalla360 wrote:

I can't find anything documenting it but I think they may be phasing the 3400w out of production.

Probably.

The 4.5KW model is almost identical to models also being sold under other brands.

valhalla360
Nomad
Nomad
pianotuna wrote:

My first choice would be the Champion 3400 with remote electric start.

I can't find anything documenting it but I think they may be phasing the 3400w out of production.

You can still find them but they are 50-100% more than the new 4500w model and the 4500w model only weighs 2lb more.

Just bought the 4500w dual fuel for $850 a couple weeks back (prices change daily, so you have to watch and jump when a good price comes thru). I just looked and the 3400w is $1700 currently.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

rbp111
Explorer
Explorer
As the previous writers "said", you can still buy a Honda Generator aslong as it is CARB certified until Jan 2028. After that, you can still use them, but you won't be able to purchase them in California.

If you like the Honda generators, and I own two of them (actually I gave away the third generator to my son) then go ahead and buy them.

ilvtravln
Explorer II
Explorer II
theoldwizard1 wrote:
corvettekent wrote:
what the Golden State did was ban the sale of gas-powered generators starting on January 1, 2028. It's still totally legal to possess a gas-powered generator and operate it within the State of California.Apr 5, 2022

They still must meet the CARB emission standards.

Short story, Calif banned gas mowers and blowers Jan. 1, so I went out and bought a gas mower (I like the power if the grass is high) and an electric blower. Then Calif. decided to let each county do what they want, so a person can still go buy a gas mower or blower in this county, crazy!!
Art

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
corvettekent wrote:
what the Golden State did was ban the sale of gas-powered generators starting on January 1, 2028. It's still totally legal to possess a gas-powered generator and operate it within the State of California.Apr 5, 2022

They still must meet the CARB emission standards.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
ilvtravln wrote:
We live in Calif. so options have become limited. We need 2 generators so we can run at least 1 A/C., approx. 50 lbs. each. I do like Honda but they are not smog legal here anymore, what other brand rate high on the list. Also want one that is fairly quiet. Thanks

My first choice would be the Champion 3400 with remote electric start.

Bargain price would be the Predator 3500.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

corvettekent
Explorer
Explorer
It looks like you can still buy them.

What the Golden State did was ban the sale of gas-powered generators starting on January 1, 2028. It's still totally legal to possess a gas-powered generator and operate it within the State of California.Apr 5, 2022
2022 Silverado 3500 High Country CC/LB, SRW, L5P. B&W Companion Hitch with pucks. Hadley air horns.

2004 32' Carriage 5th wheel. 860 watts of solar MPPT, two SOK 206 ah LiFePO4 batteries. Samlex 2,000 watt Pure Sine Wave Inverter.

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
https://www.lowes.com/pd/CRAFTSMAN-Craftsman-3300i-3300-Watt-Portable-Inverter-Generator/5001757167

QCMan
Nomad II
Nomad II
Soon only battery powered generators will be legal out there.
2020 Keystone Cougar 22RBS, Ram 1500, two Jacks and plenty of time to roam!
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. A.E.
Good Sam Life Member

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Iโ€™m happy wit( my Westinghouse generator.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Predator

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
Westinghouse, Champion, Yamaha, Generac take your pick. Just eliminate those not smog legal.