Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inverter Chassis Ground

ssthrd
Explorer
Explorer
This from an electrical dummy………

When I installed a 1000 watt inverter in my 5th wheel, the aluminum frame was handy to use as the inverter chassis ground, so I drilled it and used it.

On my slide in camper, there are no exposed frame members, and thinking that the battery is grounded to the frame anyway, it would make sense just to ground the inverter chassis to the negative terminal of the battery.

Make sense?
2014 Keystone Laredo 292RL
2013 Palomino Maverick 2902
2018 GMC 3500HD, 4x4, 6.5' box, SRW, Denali, Duramax, Andersen
DeeBee, JayBee, and Jed the Black Lab

The hurrier I go the behinder I get. (Lewis Carroll)
7 REPLIES 7

ssthrd
Explorer
Explorer
CA Traveler wrote:
time2roll wrote:
I would either skip it or pull a separate ground wire direct to the 120v load center and connect to the ground bus.

Point taken: OP Are you asking about the DC negative cable or a separate inverter AC chassis ground?

Separate ac chassis ground…….
2014 Keystone Laredo 292RL
2013 Palomino Maverick 2902
2018 GMC 3500HD, 4x4, 6.5' box, SRW, Denali, Duramax, Andersen
DeeBee, JayBee, and Jed the Black Lab

The hurrier I go the behinder I get. (Lewis Carroll)

QCMan
Nomad II
Nomad II
So this is a double post.
2020 Keystone Cougar 22RBS, Ram 1500, two Jacks and plenty of time to roam!
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. A.E.
Good Sam Life Member

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
No. Do not link the inverter chassis ground to the inverter's neg input. Going to the battery neg does that. The chassis ground should go to the frame independent from the battery's frame ground.

As suggested, you could connect to the metal casing of the power centre that has the 120v breaker panel in it. The shore power cord's bare copper ground wire is grounded to the frame from there so that makes a path for the chassis ground to the frame

You can just not use the chassis ground at all, since it is for reducing radio and TV interference.
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
time2roll wrote:
I would either skip it or pull a separate ground wire direct to the 120v load center and connect to the ground bus.

Point taken: OP Are you asking about the DC negative cable or a separate inverter AC chassis ground?
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II

Ava
Explorer
Explorer
I think with any wiring it is always better to ground to the battery or a block that is properly grounded. Poor grounding is a common problem with wiring.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Yes
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob