cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Camper (and Ham Radio) helped with a rescue....

Cannon_George
Explorer
Explorer
Last month, I used camper (and enclosed internal space) to program a brand new ham's HT to certain frequencies related for an off-road "endurance" 100k event; held in challenging high altitude terrain (high Sierras). This was the new Ham Operator's first ever support event; we both were called in from "out of the area" to help provide support. The camper provided me with a sheltered space within which to perform this programmiung.

Much later that day, we had a runner go missing and close to midnight we started a search effort using the local County's Search and Rescue team. We're in an area well out of cell phone range. She was lost somewhere in a 4.7 mile trail stretch, extreme darkness and temperature dropping. The new Ham was dispatched (with his HT) with the S&R team to the field. I maintained a radio link in my camper using antenna mast with him and local Net Control. Around 12:20 am he was ecstatic to report over radio that they had found her! She was quite disorientated; she reported "blacking out" and didn't recall ever passing through the previous aid station.

She was transported to town and recovered quickly.

The use of the truck camper provided a great temporary, remote and weather protected "base" station; we were well off-road and out of cell range; very remote (4WD, "off grid"). I had previously provided external Anderson Power Poles and "through hull" antenna connections to keep us working during this event.
6 REPLIES 6

Ramblin__Ralph
Explorer
Explorer
Hooray for you and ham radio!! Had my license since I was 15 years old, which was decades ago. ๐Ÿ™‚
Ralph
2006 GMC 2500HD, XCab, SB, 6.0L w/2001 Lance 845
Bilstein Shocks, TorkLift Stable Loads, 100 Ah LiFePo4, 225 watt solar
My RV Travels Webpage / Yearly Campsite Map / 740 Campsites / YouTube Videos /
Instagram

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
These CC running events are interesting to attend. Amazing athletes.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

I have meant to get an amateur license since the days of the morse requirement.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Cool!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
I'm glad you were able to find them. Thanks for helping.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
How exciting and gratifying!!! Guess I never thought of our TCs as rescue vehicles? Good job!
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!