cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Battery question???? XXXX UPDATE XXXXX

joelyn
Explorer
Explorer
bought 2 new batteries for my mobility pride scooter, 12 V U1AGM 35AMP BATLIQ1017..... INSTALLED THEM TODAY and before charging them they tested at 12.7 v.. put the scooter charger on and both batteries showed 13.4 v,.
my question..... the charger has been on for about 5 hrs now and the charger still shows red light on which means they are not fully charged yet... i tested the batteries and one showed 15.2 and the other 14.8..... i unplugged the charger for now because i am not sure if they are to much charged.. is it normal for new batteries to show a reading so high even though the pride charger says they are not fully charged yet?? should i plug the charger in again tomorrow and continue to charge until the charger shows green like it usually does????? thanks for any advise..
25 REPLIES 25

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
jkwilson wrote:
wa8yxm wrote:
They need to be "Equalized" how to do that on your system I do not know. I know how I'd do it but it requires hooking them in parallel to a DIFFERENT charger.

Donโ€™t equalize AGMs. It will damage them.

You are mistaken. They need to be equalized. But the procedure is different for those batteries.

Basically they need to be charged independently on a 12 volt charger
or charged in parallel on a 12 volt charger.

Charging them in series when they are not equally discharged results in one being over charged and the other under charged.

I see people yammering about different size 12 volt batteries in parallel. they make the very claim I just stated.. Which is not true for batteries in parallel.

But batteries in SERIES need to be identical
Same size
Same capacity
SAME STATE OF CHARGE. (Equalized).

And the easiest way to do that is to put 'em in parallel and use a 12 volt charger.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks for the update

A higher internal resistance would explain the imbalance of 14.8V and 15.2V while charging. The battery measuring 15.2V would have a higher internal resistance. Maybe that's what they found troubling.

Jocelyn - Take the following measurements once you have the new battery installed:

Voltage of each bat and combined voltage of both bat's before you start initial charge. Should be ~ 12.7V each and 25.4V combined

Same measurements as above at the beginning of the charge. Of course the voltage measurements will be higher. The individual bat measurements may not be identical but the total should add up the measured combined voltage.

Same as above after a 30 minute charge. The individual measurements should be getting close to being the same voltage, 14.x

At some point you should expect each battery to measure 15.0V and the combined voltage to measure 30.0V. From your previous measurements it appears either your charger outputs 30V or your voltmeter is a little off.

On Edit: Now my curiosity is kicking in.
Before you replace your battery, charge what you have again to see if you still measure 14.8V and 15.2V. I'm curious to see if they balanced out after using them for a short time. You may find that they measure the same now.
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
pianotuna wrote:
https://lifelinebatteries.com/can-i-equalize-agm-batteries/
And only to be done when there has been a significant loss of capacity. Not as a regular charging pattern.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Vintage465 wrote:
jkwilson wrote:
wa8yxm wrote:
They need to be "Equalized" how to do that on your system I do not know. I know how I'd do it but it requires hooking them in parallel to a DIFFERENT charger.

Donโ€™t equalize AGMs. It will damage them.

True statement. Everything I've read is that AGM's aren't supposed to be equalized.

Lifeline calls it "conditioning" charge. It is, defacto, an equalization charge.

https://lifelinebatteries.com/can-i-equalize-agm-batteries/
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not sure I understand how a bad battery would cause the charger to put excess voltage on the battery.
Has the voltage been verified with a separate voltmeter?

joelyn
Explorer
Explorer
xxxxx UPDATE xxxxxx, USED THE SCOOTER FOR THE PAST WEEK and even after 4 days of good use the batteries still showed a full charge... on the 5th day of use the meter dropped one green light.. put it on the charger for a few hours and back to full for the next few days.
I contactED the mighty max battery company in NJ and explained to the tech about the 15.2 volt reading and still charging and without hesitation he stated that that volts concerned him and believed that i received a defective battery... they sent a new one out yesterday and a return paid postage to return the other battery for them to check... should have it by the end of the week and will install it and let u know the findings with the new one....
seems like a pretty good company to deal with... AGAIN THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR RESPONSES AND ADVISE....................

Explorer II
Explorer II
You have the correct batteries for the charger.

The ELECHG1024 has gone through some evolution. The earlier version was A24030-9C. It was upgraded to the A24030-10C, which you have, then upgraded again to the currently available A24030-10D.

I was unable to find details on your -10C. I did discover the -9C should output 29.7V, which is 14.4V per battery. As mentioned above, your meter could very easily be off by that much, which is 1%.

Use it to put it through a few cycles and contact Pride if you still have a concern.
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

joelyn
Explorer
Explorer
everything back together and drove the scooter around a little and seems fine. will be using it the next 5 days so will see how the batteries do. maybe will put a couple leads to the pos and neg terminals so they are on the outside and than i can test the volts on the batteries each day without having to remove the shroud. thanks again to all for ALLLL ur help and advise... will check back in a week or so and let u know how they did... stay safe...

joelyn
Explorer
Explorer
CA Traveler wrote:
12V (volt), 35Ah (amp hour) rated battery capacity. 24V output means 2 series batteries for double the capacity (24V @ 35Ah).

that sounds good, just why I have in there,,,,,

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
12V (volt), 35Ah (amp hour) rated battery capacity. 24V output means 2 series batteries for double the capacity (24V @ 35Ah).
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

joelyn
Explorer
Explorer
Thermoguy wrote:
joelyn wrote:

SEE NEXT PICTURE ALSO,,,xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Why does that say for 12-35Ah Batteries only?

DON'T KNOW,, thats what came with the scooter when i got it 4 years ago... it worked fine for all those years with the batteries which came on the scooter which are the same as the new ones just a different brand.. old batteries where for 2016 and started to lose charge pretty quick when in use...

Thermoguy
Explorer II
Explorer II
joelyn wrote:

Why does that say for 12-35Ah Batteries only?

joelyn
Explorer
Explorer
ok retested the batteries this morning and both read 13.3... here are a couple pictures of my charger info and the info on the battery. maybe this can help in helping with my problem, if any... thanks again to all for the help;;;

joelyn
Explorer
Explorer