Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: Battery question???? XXXX UPDATE XXXXX
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Battery question???? XXXX UPDATE XXXXX

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
joelyn

Az

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/21/22 06:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

xxxxx UPDATE xxxxxx, USED THE SCOOTER FOR THE PAST WEEK and even after 4 days of good use the batteries still showed a full charge... on the 5th day of use the meter dropped one green light.. put it on the charger for a few hours and back to full for the next few days.
I contactED the mighty max battery company in NJ and explained to the tech about the 15.2 volt reading and still charging and without hesitation he stated that that volts concerned him and believed that i received a defective battery... they sent a new one out yesterday and a return paid postage to return the other battery for them to check... should have it by the end of the week and will install it and let u know the findings with the new one....
seems like a pretty good company to deal with... AGAIN THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR RESPONSES AND ADVISE....................

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/21/22 06:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not sure I understand how a bad battery would cause the charger to put excess voltage on the battery.
Has the voltage been verified with a separate voltmeter?

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 06/21/22 09:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Vintage465 wrote:

jkwilson wrote:

wa8yxm wrote:

They need to be "Equalized" how to do that on your system I do not know. I know how I'd do it but it requires hooking them in parallel to a DIFFERENT charger.

Don’t equalize AGMs. It will damage them.

True statement. Everything I've read is that AGM's aren't supposed to be equalized.

Lifeline calls it "conditioning" charge. It is, defacto, an equalization charge.

https://lifelinebatteries.com/can-i-equalize-agm-batteries/

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/21/22 10:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

And only to be done when there has been a significant loss of capacity. Not as a regular charging pattern.

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 06/22/22 04:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the update

A higher internal resistance would explain the imbalance of 14.8V and 15.2V while charging. The battery measuring 15.2V would have a higher internal resistance. Maybe that's what they found troubling.

Jocelyn - Take the following measurements once you have the new battery installed:

Voltage of each bat and combined voltage of both bat's before you start initial charge. Should be ~ 12.7V each and 25.4V combined

Same measurements as above at the beginning of the charge. Of course the voltage measurements will be higher. The individual bat measurements may not be identical but the total should add up the measured combined voltage.

Same as above after a 30 minute charge. The individual measurements should be getting close to being the same voltage, 14.x

At some point you should expect each battery to measure 15.0V and the combined voltage to measure 30.0V. From your previous measurements it appears either your charger outputs 30V or your voltmeter is a little off.

On Edit: Now my curiosity is kicking in.
Before you replace your battery, charge what you have again to see if you still measure 14.8V and 15.2V. I'm curious to see if they balanced out after using them for a short time. You may find that they measure the same now.

* This post was edited 06/22/22 05:01am by 2112 *

2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens, PullRite SuperGlide 2700 15K
2013 KZ Durango 2857

wa8yxm

Davison Michigan (East of Flint)

View Profile

Posted: 06/22/22 05:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jkwilson wrote:

wa8yxm wrote:

They need to be "Equalized" how to do that on your system I do not know. I know how I'd do it but it requires hooking them in parallel to a DIFFERENT charger.

Don’t equalize AGMs. It will damage them.

You are mistaken. They need to be equalized. But the procedure is different for those batteries.

Basically they need to be charged independently on a 12 volt charger
or charged in parallel on a 12 volt charger.

Charging them in series when they are not equally discharged results in one being over charged and the other under charged.

I see people yammering about different size 12 volt batteries in parallel. they make the very claim I just stated.. Which is not true for batteries in parallel.

But batteries in SERIES need to be identical
Same size
Same capacity
SAME STATE OF CHARGE. (Equalized).

And the easiest way to do that is to put 'em in parallel and use a 12 volt charger.

Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Battery question???? XXXX UPDATE XXXXX
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.