cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cedar Creek rear cap cracks

yellow_dog
Explorer
Explorer
We purchased a 2018 Cedar Creek new, and shortly after taking delivery noticed spider cracks in the upper corner of the rear fiberglass cap. We spoke with our dealer about this, and our dealer made arrangements with a local fiberglass repair company to repair the cap. We recently noticed that the area that was repaired has discolored (dulled out) and the clear coat is peeling. I contacted our dealer who told us this problem is now between us as the owners and the fiberglass repair company as we are now out of warranty. I stated to the dealer that I wasn't the one that chose this company the dealer did, and I was hoping the dealer would stand by me with this to get it rectified. Although out of warranty this repair should have lasted more then 4 years. They didn't want to hear of it. I next called Forest River who basically told me the same thing....any thoughts??? I must say not the response I expected from a premium 5th wheel company.
27 REPLIES 27

yellow_dog
Explorer
Explorer
Shadows4 - I called the repair guy that originally did the repair for my dealership. He basically told me, he can't be responsible for anything beyond 1 year. I also called someone I was put in contact with that does fiberglass / body work. He told me the issue was caused by not prepping the area properly, which would cause the fade and clear coat to peel. I haven't decided if I'm going to have it repaired yet or not, but one thing is for sure, I will not be taking it back to the guy the dealership uses...

Esacnj
Explorer
Explorer
FlatBroke wrote:
If everyone gave a 4 year warranty on an RV they would all go broke.

Unless they fixed it right the first time.
Esacnj

FlatBroke
Explorer
Explorer
If everyone gave a 4 year warranty on an RV they would all go broke.

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

shadows4
Explorer III
Explorer III
Curious as to what the OP'er did to fix the problem?
2016 4X4 F350,CC,SB,Lariat,6.7L diesel,
2015 Coachmen Chapparal 324 TSRK
B&W Patriot 16K hitch.

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Esacnj wrote:
I guess it's unreasonable to think that a repair should correct a problem for good rather than just long enough to get past a warrantee period. Unfortunately for everyone this has become the norm across the board no matter what you have done. Sad state of affairs.

Unfortunately in the RV world the goal is to clear the warranty period.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

Esacnj
Explorer
Explorer
I guess it's unreasonable to think that a repair should correct a problem for good rather than just long enough to get past a warrantee period. Unfortunately for everyone this has become the norm across the board no matter what you have done. Sad state of affairs.
Esacnj

Krusty
Nomad
Nomad
Now that you are an expert on how to do the job correctly, and exactly how long it should last, why not just do the repair yourself?
Krusty
92 F-250 4x4 460 5spd 4.10LS Prodigy
97 Rustler RT190
EU2000i
Garmin

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
dougrainer wrote:
yellow dog wrote:
Doug - You explained the exact procedure on how to repair from someone else I spoke too. What is the expectancy of the repair in your opinion...in mine if the repair is done correctly should last as long as the rest of the cap. Also, not sure I'm following you with the paper trail, when I noticed it out of the gate, I brought it to dealer's attention, they made arrangements to repair. Bottom line is, it was not done properly and here I am.

When you have a problem like you have, you get EVERYTHING in writing. You also ask both the Dealer and FR and the Body shop what warranty they will supply for the repair. GET IT IN WRITING. I doubt most body shops would warranty a repair on an RV for more than 1 year. One thing a LOT of people do not realize on warranties is this. True for both Auto's and RV's. The warranty period is for the term for the OEM. For instance, you have a 1 year warranty. At 11 months they replace the Water pump. Your warranty on the Water Pump is 1 month, NOT 1 year from the replacement. Same with Auto's. 3 year warranty. At month 35 they replace the Alternator. Your warranty is 1 month NOT another year or another 36 months for the Alternator. Some Body Shops warrant for lifetime you own the CAR for body work. Most do NOT. Doug

Which is why at this point the easiest way to resolve the matter is to simply pay to have it fixed.BTDT
Correct Trax,Splendide

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
yellow dog wrote:
Doug - You explained the exact procedure on how to repair from someone else I spoke too. What is the expectancy of the repair in your opinion...in mine if the repair is done correctly should last as long as the rest of the cap. Also, not sure I'm following you with the paper trail, when I noticed it out of the gate, I brought it to dealer's attention, they made arrangements to repair. Bottom line is, it was not done properly and here I am.

When you have a problem like you have, you get EVERYTHING in writing. You also ask both the Dealer and FR and the Body shop what warranty they will supply for the repair. GET IT IN WRITING. I doubt most body shops would warranty a repair on an RV for more than 1 year. One thing a LOT of people do not realize on warranties is this. True for both Auto's and RV's. The warranty period is for the term for the OEM. For instance, you have a 1 year warranty. At 11 months they replace the Water pump. Your warranty on the Water Pump is 1 month, NOT 1 year from the replacement. Same with Auto's. 3 year warranty. At month 35 they replace the Alternator. Your warranty is 1 month NOT another year or another 36 months for the Alternator. Some Body Shops warrant for lifetime you own the CAR for body work. Most do NOT. Doug

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
No one is going to warranty a fiberglass repair for 4 years. They just aren't. {snip}

Ixnay on the awyer-lay.
Forum Rules wrote:
Posts are not allowed in which a local, state, or federal consumer action board and/or legal counsel is/have been involved. This includes posts related to future, ongoing or past lawsuits.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

yellow_dog
Explorer
Explorer
When it was originally repaired, I presumed the repair would be good to go. If it was repaired properly, I shouldn't have to determine a warranty period at all.

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
There was no warranty stated or given at the time of repair. 4 years later is not the time to determine the warranty period. A statement on warranty was needed at time of repair not four years later.
Tyhe manufacturer is nor warrantying the the rest of the trailer beyond the initial 1 year. If you desired a longer warranty on the repair it need to be stated at the time of the repair.
Correct Trax,Splendide

yellow_dog
Explorer
Explorer

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
I think at this point your path of least resistance is to find out from the repair shop how much they would charge you to do the repairs or find another shop to do the repairs.
Four years later you are essentialy without warranty.
Should it be that way, certainly not. But that is the reality of the RV industry and it has been a bit cut throat for a long time. Goodwill has left the building.
Correct Trax,Splendide