Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: Portable air conditioner
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Portable air conditioner

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
jaycocreek

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 06/13/22 05:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We used a 5k window unit in a 30ft trailer in the bedroom which made a huge difference in the whole trailer,maybe a little cold in the bedroom,but a nice place to cool off..I used it in the escape Hatch....

I now use it in my truck camper sliding window and it cools the whole TC nicely and at 330 watts with the compressor running..I have used it with a 1000 watt psw inverter and it works well to cool things off... Now with 400 watts of solar I'm going to run it or try to,all off the battery when it gets warm enough..We will see how that goes..

At 39lbs it's easy to put in and out but a mounting system as mentioned above would be nice..

475 ah LFP/600 watts solar

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/13/22 07:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The biggest issue is power supply. If you are on 30amp, running the roof mounted and the portable is likely overloading the system. Don't be surprised when your power cord has burnt ends. If you have 50amp, it shouldn't be a problem or if you run a separate powerline from the pedestal (but then you need a way to get it inside.

The dual hose units cost more but are more effective than the single hose units. The single hose units use cooled interior air to cool the condenser and then pump it outside. This means it pulls hot outside air into the RV to replace the air pumped out. Yes, it still cools but not as efficiently. The dual hose units pull outside air in to cool the condenser.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

joebedford

Soon heading south for 1st time in 3 years

View Profile

Posted: 06/13/22 04:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've been thinking about getting a portable to cool the garage in our toy hauler. The two ACs just can't cool the garage / office (when we're parked). None of the windows is double-hung style - they have a 8" crank open at the bottom. A windows shaker wouldn't work - no place to put it.

stickdog

Somewhere, USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/14/22 06:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have the rig in sig. Two AC's the living room one crapped out after warranty expired. Unable to find replacement do to supply issues. We had spent the previous summer in high desert location, daliy temps in the mid ninties but low humidity.
Purchased a room AC for 20 x20 room this is one where you have an exhaust hose.
We run it on low fan and set point of 75 degrees. It works better than the roof top unit that failed and 1/3 the price.

9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
“A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.” Lao Tzu

austinjenna

Columbus, Ohio

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/18/22 05:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We use one occasionally in our fifth wheel when the temps are really high outside to help cool. We have a 30 amp unit with a 15K ac. We have the single hose unit although I heard the 2 hose ones are better, I got a great deal on clearance for this one so purchased it. I fashioned some wood to be the same contour as one of the side windows that the hose goes into. I also run a heavy duty extension cord through the slide seal from the portable unit to the pedestal.

It does help out quite a bit

2010 F350 CC Lariat 4x4 Short Bed
2011 Crusader 298BDS 5th Wheel
Reese 16K

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Portable air conditioner
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.