cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Battery disconnect - switch or fuse?

penguin149
Explorer
Explorer
Looking to add a way to disconnect the battery on my 2019 Keystone Bullet 243BHS. There's a 6 gauge wire coming off the battery to a circuit breaker mounted on the frame, which leads to a second circuit breaker and then under the trailer enclosed by the coroplast. There is a second wire (12 gauge) from the positive side of the battery that has an inline 10A fuse and goes directly under the trailer. I pulled this fuse and can't find what it controls. Any ideas? The prewired rearview camera? The tongue jack is wired to the 2nd circuit breaker and has an inline 30A fuse.

What's the best way to disconnect everything from the battery? Switch (any recommendations?) or inline fuse (40A with 6 gauge wire)?
2021 Nissan Titan Pro-4X 5.6L V8 4WD - 2019 Keystone Bullet 243BHS
11 REPLIES 11

penguin149
Explorer
Explorer
OP here. Thanks for all the help! I've ordered a master cutoff switch and 20" 6 gauge battery cable. Plan to mount it on the outside of the battery box, under the box handle. I'll pull the 10A fuse and see if the slide works....did not consider that the slide might have its own fuse.
2021 Nissan Titan Pro-4X 5.6L V8 4WD - 2019 Keystone Bullet 243BHS

Boon_Docker
Explorer II
Explorer II
The 10A fuse could for the slide out if the trailer has one.
Take your pick negative side or positive side for the switch. I would be inclined to use an inline circuit breaker on the side with a single wire.

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
KD4UPL wrote:
The 10 amp fuse you pulled is likely for the break away brakes. Put it back.
A negative disconnect will probably also disable the break away brakes so you can't pull the trailer on a road with it turned off.
I'd just use a circuit breaker in the positive main wire.

Breakaway brakes are not supposed to be fused.

wa8yxm wrote:
I would go with a switch and the Negative cable is a good spot or it.
I've seen a lot of argument on negative or positive. but I favor Negative.

On many RV's there are multiple POSITIVE wires is one reason

Another is if you are removing the battery and start with the POSITIVE lead.. if the swich is off and the wrench slips. No harm done

But if the switch is in the positive you can end up with a nasty burn and a melted wrench and worse.

Multiple positive wires can be combined.

Always remove the negative cable from the battery first. That way, if the wrench slips when removing the negative cable, no problem. If the wrench slips when removing the positive cable, no problem. In other words, the wrench slipping is never a problem.

If the switch is on the positive, you canโ€™t get a nasty burn and a melted wrench and worse because you took the negative clamp off first.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
If you look up battery switches, the instructions call for the switch to be installed on the positive side.

Not hard to tie multiple Positive side wires together, so that's not really a reason.

If the wrench slips and connects both battery terminals, you still get excitement regardless of which side is switched.

On the other hand, if you are leaning against something metal and touch the negative battery terminal (with a negative side switch turned off), you just completed the circuit (frame and metal parts are typically tied into the grounding system. Probably won't die with 12v but not fun.

Generally, the brakes get a dedicated unfused line but for winter storage, I still prefer to disconnect (always do a brake test when pulling out, so if you forgot to reconnect, it will immediately be obvious).
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I would go with a switch and the Negative cable is a good spot or it.
I've seen a lot of argument on negative or positive. but I favor Negative.

On many RV's there are multiple POSITIVE wires is one reason

Another is if you are removing the battery and start with the POSITIVE lead.. if the swich is off and the wrench slips. No harm done

But if the switch is in the positive you can end up with a nasty burn and a melted wrench and worse.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

corvettekent
Explorer
Explorer
I use a battery switch like bob213 linked to but mine is on the positive cable. I never shut this switch off unless I'm working on the 12-volt battery system.
2022 Silverado 3500 High Country CC/LB, SRW, L5P. B&W Companion Hitch with pucks. Hadley air horns.

2004 32' Carriage 5th wheel. 860 watts of solar MPPT, two SOK 206 ah LiFePO4 batteries. Samlex 2,000 watt Pure Sine Wave Inverter.

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
The 10 amp fuse you pulled is likely for the break away brakes. Put it back.
A negative disconnect will probably also disable the break away brakes so you can't pull the trailer on a road with it turned off.
I'd just use a circuit breaker in the positive main wire.

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
bob213 wrote:
This is what I use and I have it on the negative cable without problems. Many will tell you this is wrong and it might be but it has worked on two trailers for 14 years.
Battery switch

It's only wrong if it also disconnects the breakaway brakes.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
Mine came with one. It's under the propane tanks. You have to reach under and then turn the red 'key'. I'm not sure how it's wired, but it's probably on the NEG cable I would think since it's an RV?

Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

Boon_Docker
Explorer II
Explorer II
I use a 12 volt circuit breaker, works great.

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
This is what I use and I have it on the negative cable without problems. Many will tell you this is wrong and it might be but it has worked on two trailers for 14 years.
Battery switch
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality โ€“ Ayn Rand