cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Older Reese hitch

dwwebster
Explorer
Explorer
I just bought a 2015 Forest River Salem T26TBUD and will either use my father's 2015 F150 with 3.5L Ecoboost or my 2000 Silverado 1500 Z71 with 5.3L V8. I have a EAZ-Lift hitch that, at the current setting, is the right height for the Z71, but too low for the F150. I found my father's Reese WD with trunion bars from the early 80's. So my questions: could/should I try and use the Reese hitch? If so, can the hookup brackets already mounted on the trailer for the EAZ-Lift be used with the Reese WD hitch? This is my first TT so please be gentle!
3 REPLIES 3

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
The best thing to do is take the shank from the Reese and use it in place of the shank on the EZ lift, provided it has more drop than the EZ lift shank.

The shank is the L shaped piece that plugs into the trucks receiver and has a row of holes in the vertical section of it. The hole spacing is standard between brands.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

Vintage465
Explorer III
Explorer III
I'm thinking that we need to know if your two hitches are of similar design. Meaning are they both chain and snap-up type or are they friction type or do you have one of each? If they are chain and snap-up type, you should not need to change the snap ups on your coach. If they are friction type It's likely what QCMan indicated. And if you have one of each, the whole idea is out the window.
V-465
2013 GMC 2500HD Duramax Denali. 2015 CreekSide 20fq w/450 watts solar and 465 amp/hour of batteries. Retired and living the dream!

QCMan
Nomad II
Nomad II
The reese hitch is a good hitch but takes a bit of fine tuning. The brackets are not interchangeable. If you use the reese hitch invest in the anti sway that can be added to them easily. You did not give the wheelbases of he trucks and I would suggest using whichever truck has the longer wheelbase. You will still get some wag from the trailer as that length trailer will be marginal for either truck. We can hope that you did lots of homework on your payload capacity on the two trucks as that may or may not be an issue but not knowing the particulars it is impossible to make a determination. Check the yellow and white stickers on the door jamb of each truck as those numbers supersede any on line or brochure numbers. Good luck and keep us posted.

2020 Keystone Cougar 22RBS, Ram 1500, two Jacks and plenty of time to roam!
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. A.E.
Good Sam Life Member