cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Yellowstone roads closed!

cptqueeg
Explorer II
Explorer II
Got notice this morning that we should not show up for camping this Wednesday 6/15. Rain on snow event caused roads to blow out.
2024 Chev 3500 CCLB Diesel
Four Wheel Camper Granby Shell
41 REPLIES 41

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
So why mention it at all?

Money in the case of researchers and social credit from their fellow cultists. World wide temps have been flat for the last eight years, IIRC during this second flat temp period, the first lasted a couple of decades.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

Mayor30
Explorer
Explorer
It gets tiring hearing all this **** about climate change causing these events. I guess nobody has studied history. Our climate has been changing since the earth was formed. We have had catastrophic weather events as long as the earth has been in existence. Even in the article they admit they cannot point to climate change being responsible for a single weather event. So why mention it at all?

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
We used the timed entry at RMNP this summer. Stopped on the road to make the reservation on the way in to the west side. Paid up. Got to the gate and was waved right thru, no timed check.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
So, I can just drive in when I want in the summer? they put an end to that when Covid started. and they kept it in place because they charge a couple of dollars for each timed entry.

Here is the correct info on the parks that require timed entry: https://parksandtrips.com/which-national-parks-require-a-timed-entry-pass

We used the timed entry system on Cadillac Mountain in Acadia during the summer and found it very helpful. We didn't have to circle like a vulture to get a parking spot and could actually take pictures without people in the way. The fees are nominal and the money goes toward park maintenance, improvements, staffing, etc. Some seem to forget that maintaining the national parks expensive. Is it a perfect system? No, but until attendance in the parks settles down some it is a way to ensure everyone gets an enjoyable experience.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
cptqueeg wrote:
before you make stuff up to suit your world view and then post it.

That's rich...:R
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
cptqueeg wrote:
dodge guy wrote:
cptqueeg wrote:
NPS instituted timed entry at one point on a non-through route(slough creek) to control/limit traffic so that some could visit while major construction was underway. It was in place for about a month and was a complete non-issue. It seems the NPS on the ground modified the implementation as they found they weren't completely overwhelmed w traffic.

So, I can just drive in when I want in the summer? they put an end to that when Covid started. and they kept it in place because they charge a couple of dollars for each timed entry.

I know you hate paying (yeah you've already paid your taxes :R), but if you really gave AF you could easily research what was actually happening yourself before you make stuff up to suit your world view and then post it.

Well last I read was the NP service is keeping the timed entry for the busy parks, and yes they do charge and โ€œletโ€ you enter at the times they have left. They said they were going to keep this indefinitely. I Never said Yellowstone only. But as busy as YS is, Iโ€™m sure that NP will be next on the list, itโ€™s only a matter of time before they realize how much money they are missing out on.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

cptqueeg
Explorer II
Explorer II
dodge guy wrote:
cptqueeg wrote:
NPS instituted timed entry at one point on a non-through route(slough creek) to control/limit traffic so that some could visit while major construction was underway. It was in place for about a month and was a complete non-issue. It seems the NPS on the ground modified the implementation as they found they weren't completely overwhelmed w traffic.

I know you hate paying (yeah you've already paid your taxes :R), but if you really gave AF you could easily research what was actually happening yourself before you make stuff up to suit your world view and then post it.

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
cptqueeg wrote:

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

A bad day camping is

cptqueeg
Explorer II
Explorer II

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
Too bad you canโ€™t get in without a special timed entry.

Where to you see this?

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Well thatโ€™s good to hear. And there were people saying parts of Yellowstone wouldnโ€™t be open for years!
Too bad you canโ€™t get in without a special timed entry. That isnโ€™t what the NPS was designed to do. But if itโ€™s making money!โ€ฆโ€ฆ
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

A bad day camping is

cptqueeg
Explorer II
Explorer II
As promised.....99% of roads now open

Missed 2 trips there this season......perhaps rec.gov will be kind to us for next year.

cptqueeg
Explorer II
Explorer II
agesilaus wrote:
Not until Oct 15th and the snow was flying on us 30 Sep last year. We were chased by a Blizzard east.

It says by 10/15 not until to be accurate. We stuck it out in the snow and cold in the 3rd week of Oct and it was still a great experience.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
agesilaus wrote:
Not until Oct 15th and the snow was flying on us 30 Sep last year. We were chased by a Blizzard east.

I don't recall making a weather prediction. Even if the weather turns on them, spring of next year it should be ready.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV