cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Curiosity of RV Park parking?

Mondooker
Explorer
Explorer
Hi guys, I’m here at a very nice RV park in the mountains of NC. I’ve been surprised at the number of trucks over parked EVERYWHERE!

Many sites the trucks are hanging over the road a little. Some are even parked horizontally across the front of the site. It looks like this could be solved by the fifth wheel hanging over the grass a little instead of 100% over the concrete pad. Not the wheels of course, just maybe 4 to 5 feet of the body.

Is there a reason why a fifth wheel should not hang over grass?
17 REPLIES 17

Mondooker
Explorer
Explorer
“I’m never going to that park, with trucks all over the place!” Funny and you’re right of course! Who’d of ever thought of pulling a fifth wheel with a truck? 🙂

I was just surprised how many hung over the road. The sites at Valley River RV Resort in Murphy, NC are narrow the way it is. They have great management and really take care off the place though.

schlep1967
Explorer III
Explorer III
Older parks and newer/LONGER campers. The state park closest to me you are not allowed to have anything parked on the grass. Many of the sites are not long enough to put the truck straight in front of the trailer. So parking sideways just barely getting the four tires on the blacktop is the best option. The other option is parking the truck in overflow parking 1/2 a mile away.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

TXiceman
Explorer
Explorer
Some parks have a rule that the RV cannot overhang the pad over the grass so that the lawn crew can mow.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

garyp4951
Explorer III
Explorer III
Gooma wrote:
I'm never going to that park, with trucks all over the place!

LOL 🙂

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Lot of things:
- If the sites are small, we will sometimes park sideways across the front. Not preferred but what else are you going to do.
- Hanging off the back of the site is OK in some cases but stabalizers can sink into soft grass or if there is a hill, often the ground drops off so they won't even reach the ground. If it's a longer term stay, who mows under the rig?
- If trucks are blocking the road, if you are polite, people will typically be happy to help out by moving. If it's really bad, talk to the manager.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Gooma
Explorer
Explorer
I'm never going to that park, with trucks all over the place!

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
Mondooker wrote:

Some are even parked horizontally across the front of the site.

If this is what I think you mean, parking in front of / across the front of the camper, I do that a lot depending on the campground.

With smaller sites, if we park the truck next to the TT sometimes it takes up the room where we would be under the awning or where the fire pit is.

I have also done that at some campgrounds to "passively" "protect" our campsite from people walking through it, especially at state parks - where there might be more people not used to the "un-written" rules of campgrounds.

To me, it doesn't look any more or less bad than any other way of parking.

Campinghoss
Explorer
Explorer
Some parks don't want to kill the grass which the levelers would if off the concrete. But the main reason I don't put my fiver over is I prefer to keep the levelers on the concrete. Now if I was only staying a few nights it would not bother me but generally I stay two weeks or more at a park. There are a lot of cg's that were built when most folks had short campers and shorter trucks.
I just don't sweat the small stuff.
Camping Hoss
2017 Open Range 3X 388RKS
MorRyde IS with disc brakes
2017 F-350 6.7 with hips 8'bed
Lucie our fur baby
Lucky 9/15/2007 - 1/30/2023

hotjag1
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've seen trucks hanging outside the end of their pad and partially blocking the roadway. Most of the time when I'm checking in, I look to see the path to my site. If it looks like I can't squeeze through because of a vehicle blocking the road, I ask the mgr to notify the owner that I will need to come through there. The mgr and the offending vehicle owner have always complied. Both mgr and the customer have been nice and courteous about my request.
hotjag1
2003 40' Allegro Bus, 3 slides, 400hp 8.9 liter ISL Cummins

2000 24' Dynamax Isata

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
what park was this?

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
I don't let what other people do affect me that much.

Mondooker
Explorer
Explorer
Hi guys, I thought about the hookups etc but didn’t consider the sprinkle system or killing the grass. I was in the office the other day where a guy was complaining that two trucks on two different sites had to move so he could make the curve with his 40’ motorhome. Plus it makes the park look junky. Great park but I don’t know about all these trucks hang out over the park road.

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
Some do it for the hook ups. They don't want to have overly long waste lines or electrical cords. Or they dont have extea. Others, well, who knows.
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Some parks have sprinkler systems that could be under the rig.
Staying for a long period of time could stunt the grass.
Need to keep stabilizers on the pad so they don't sink.
Same with motor homes that are too long for sites. some MHs have around 12-13 feet of over-hang in the rear. Stabilizers are behind the rear wheels. But you can let ten feet or so hang over back of the site. That would leave enough room for toad to stay out of roadway.
Just my observations!

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker