cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

E vs. D rated trailer tires

Hemling
Explorer
Explorer
We are moving back to WI after 4 years of living in Miami and I'm making my list of items to address since my unit is 5 years old. One of those is tires. I still have the stock 'Trailer King" D rated tires, and will be changing them out. What exactly is the rationale behind going to an 'E' rated tire on a camper? Obviously more load carrying capacity I understand, but does it ride harder then too? I certainly don't need more jarring transmitted to the chassis. I feel like if you need the load carrying capabilities of a higher rated tire you might also be overloading the chassis. Is it just higher quality of tire? Kind of like going to an 'F' when an 'E' will do the job more comfortably. Is it just peace of mind / bragging rights?
35 REPLIES 35

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
fj12ryder wrote:
What size tire?
ST235/85R16

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
joebedford wrote:
My tires each have an LCC of 4400lbs. What's that in load range? H?

The 215/75 R17.5's are 4,805# @ 125psi in "H".
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
What size tire?
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
My tires each have an LCC of 4400lbs. What's that in load range? H?

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Grit dog wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Dude I gots "D" tires not those lame looking "C" tires. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Dude, you should put those big stick on white letters on yer Goodyears like all the ricers do!
Now THAT would be boat ramp/campground braggin rights!!

GREAT idea! I will highlight in neon PINK the part where it says for MAX inflation air to 65psi.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
If you buy an Endurance ST, you will take the load range they offer in that size. GY only makes one load range in a given size, and it is the "upsize".

GY makes a total of 7 different part number Endurance ST tires, two sizes in 14 inch, two sizes in 15 inch and three sizes in 16 inch.

https://www.goodyearrvtires.com/tire-selector.aspx

ST205/75R14 D
ST215/75R14 D

ST205/75R15 D
ST225/75R15 E

ST235/80R16 E
ST235/85R16 E
ST255/85R16 E

If you want LT tires, there are no true LT tires made that I have been able to find, in 15 or 14 inch. 98% of the trailers out there use 13/14/15 inch, so LT is not an option. On some trailers its possible to go to a 16 inch rim and install an LT tire, Airstream does this as an option from the factory on some models.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Tireman9 answer to the same question of going to a E tire from a D tire. In part he says;

** He will gain a safety margin if he increases his inflation to 65psi with LR-D but if he stays at 65psi there is nothing further gained by going to LR-E as there is no difference in the capacity at 65psi.
The same thing would apply to the 22.5 example. When we look at the Goodyear tables we see that at 110psi both the LR-G and the LR-H are rated for 6,175# single or in dual application at 100psi they both are rated as 5,675#.**

And in his rvtiresafety blog on speed rating in part says;
**You will gain nothing from a Load Range change if you do not also increase the air pressure.**

Its been my experience if the D tires have plenty of reserve load capacity above actual scaled wheel load weights then nothing is gained with a E tire at 65 psi.
Having hauled for a living I never heard of using less than sidewall pressures in a tire on a trailer till I started hanging out on rv forums.

Goodyear says in their "weighing a RV website" clicky link
Goodyear Tire and Rubber .... weighing RVs
Special Considerations

**** Unless trying to resolve poor ride quality problems with an RV trailer, it is recommended that trailer tires be inflated to the pressure indicated on the sidewall of the tire. Trailer tires experience significant lateral (side-to-side) loads due to vehicle sway from uneven roads or passing vehicles. Using the inflation pressure engraved on the sidewall will provide optimum load carrying capacity and minimize heat build-up.***

Now if the D tires load rating doesn't have the proper capacity or proper reserve load capacity then the E tire at 80 psi will be a good upgrade.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Cummins12V98 wrote:

Dude, you should put those big stick on white letters on yer Goodyears like all the ricers do!
Now THAT would be boat ramp/campground braggin rights!!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
This chart???

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
CapriRacer wrote:
2112 wrote:
CapriRacer wrote:
I see no one has mentioned that a Load Range E has the same load carrying capacity as a Load Range D when inflated to the same pressure. At the LR D pressure, a LR E performs the same - ride, sway, etc.

So you can buy a LR E and use it in place of a LR D.
Actually they have about 18% more capacity when inflated to the same pressure when comparing the 75R15(D) and 75R15(E).

Endurance Load Chart

Ah .... Mmmmm ..... Not exactly.

You compared an ST205/75R15 to a ST225/75R15. What is interesting is that the referenced chart doesn't show Load Ranges that Goodyear doesn't make, so you can't actually do an apples to apples comparison for those 2 sizes. (meaning you should be comparing an ST225/75R15 LR E to an ST225/75R15 LR D.) If you look at other charts, you'll see that principle in action.
Actually the rating for a D tire and an E tire is exactly the same at 65 psi within this group of tires. And both D & E are exactly the same as a C when all are at 50 psi. The chart covers them all. Just don't fill more than the sidewall max.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Hemling wrote:
We are moving back to WI after 4 years of living in Miami and I'm making my list of items to address since my unit is 5 years old. One of those is tires. I still have the stock 'Trailer King" D rated tires, and will be changing them out. What exactly is the rationale behind going to an 'E' rated tire on a camper? Obviously more load carrying capacity I understand, but does it ride harder then too? I certainly don't need more jarring transmitted to the chassis. I feel like if you need the load carrying capabilities of a higher rated tire you might also be overloading the chassis. Is it just higher quality of tire? Kind of like going to an 'F' when an 'E' will do the job more comfortably. Is it just peace of mind / bragging rights?

So to succinctly answer your question with the vague info you provided.

If your weight is under the rated capacity of the current tires, it's mostly peace of mind (because in as many bragging rights conversations I've witnessed about any vehicle, RV or motor toy, noone has EVER been like "Dude, I GOT E tires, not those lame lookin D tires).

No they won't cause ANY issues by upgrading. Just set the pressure right and they'll generally be tougher when abused than the lower rated (thinner less strong )tires.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Explorer II
Explorer II
You are correct CapriRacer. I found a generic table and it does compare to Goodyears.
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857