cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1997 Holiday rambler Endeavor LE Ford 460

kharrell1972
Explorer
Explorer
Just got a good deal (or so I thought) on this coach. On the way home, we stopped at a rest area for a few minutes. Once we stated back on the road the coach started hesitating really bad and would not get over 40. I managed to get a hold of a road side mechanic and actually got the unit to him. He says the exhaust is plugged up as he checked the back pressure. Likely the catalytic converter. However from what I have read that year f53 chassis doest have a cc. The unit rums absolutely fine unless under power and there is just nothing there. The brakes are pretty hard to get it to stop as well. Indicating an exhaust issue. If the there is is no cc on it what else could be causing a plug. The unit only has 15,000 on it and runs great! No back fire no jumping or missing just no power. Any help is greatly appreciated!
13 REPLIES 13

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
kharrell1972 wrote:
Thanks for the replies… I just went and picked it up today to take it the exhaust shop. Drove it without any issues. It does feel like there is not a lot of power but I figured that is because it is a gasser and is so big. I don’t expect it to be like a hot rod but figure it should have more power than it does. As it is, I wouldn't trust trying to drive through even the smallest of mountains! It has sat for a week since I parked it so leads me to believe the excessive exhaust back pressure is causing the lack of power and maybe something to heat up which eventually causes it to lose power. I am told braking is affected when the exhaust back pressure is excessive.

Exhaust back pressure has NOTHING to do with braking. Your brakes are hydro-boost. Meaning the power for the brakes comes from the power steering pump.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
Good luck, but that 460 isn’t known for back pressure, headers will give you hp.

Check your fuel pressure, most likely cause. Ignition module is cheap and easy to replace. Likes to fail when it gets hot.
There’s no fool, like an old fool.

kharrell1972
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies… I just went and picked it up today to take it the exhaust shop. Drove it without any issues. It does feel like there is not a lot of power but I figured that is because it is a gasser and is so big. I don’t expect it to be like a hot rod but figure it should have more power than it does. As it is, I wouldn't trust trying to drive through even the smallest of mountains! It has sat for a week since I parked it so leads me to believe the excessive exhaust back pressure is causing the lack of power and maybe something to heat up which eventually causes it to lose power. I am told braking is affected when the exhaust back pressure is excessive.

MrWizard
Richard nailed all the major issues pertaining to 460/7.5L
On my 97 bounder built on a 96 F53 chassis, i have replaced the fuel pump, the frame mounted filter, and the ignition module which mounted under the front hatch/hood on the firewall on the driver side, i also flushed the brak system snd filled with fresh Dot 4 brake fluid ,
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
Your MH does NOT have a CC.........There is a resonator just after the "Y" pipe that could be mistaken for a CC.
I suggest the first thing to do is put a fuel pressure gauge on the fuel rail. Port is on the right fuel rail about center of the fuel rail. Pressure should be about 32lbs. at idle and about 40lbs. with the vacuum hose pulled off the fuel pressure regulator. The only way to fully test the fuel pump is to drive the coach at wide open throttle and see if you get about 40lbs of pressure.
If low pressure, check the fuel filter first. It's on the left frame rail, mid-ship.
Your engine is port injected, not TBI. It still has the old EEC-IV computer with OBD-1

Your coach has disc brakes on both ends. The caliper mounting system is of poor design and needs maintenance every 2 years. The calipers need to be removed, mounting surfaces cleaned and greased with synthetic brake caliper grease. The pistons in the calipers will swell over time and not move freely. There are replacement metal pistons out there or you could buy rebuilt calipers with metal pistons. RockAuto has such items.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

PastorCharlie
Explorer
Explorer
Start with known problems...i.e., the brake system. Raise each wheel and apply brakes and check if the calipers release proper. With those few miles I would think there are problems with the seals sticking in the calipers causing extreme resistance and slowing down the vehicle. I repaired a gentleman's Jaguar that was doing similar to what you described, and it was his brake power booster activating the brakes under acceleration and speed. Check brake drums/caliphers temps and drive it and if it slows down after a few miles check the temp at the time to see if their temp has increased a lot.

Is the engine fuel injection or carb? Check for any codes showing. Does the engine accelerate proper sitting in park? Is the transmission slipping? Has its fluid and filter been changed recently?

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
With that few miles and that year your most likely cause is the OEM fuel pump is still in it. Check to see if it was upgraded to the new one. As I remember the number of wires to it will be the indication.
There’s no fool, like an old fool.

rjstractor
Nomad
Nomad
Pretty easy to see if there's a catalytic converter or not, just look. Not sure how you think an exhaust issue could cause braking problems, please elaborate.

On the driveability issue, my money is on a fuel system clog. I know you said that filters were changed, but years of rust and sentiment in the fuel tank could easily plug a new filter. Exhaust could easily be plugged with god knows what as well.
2017 VW Golf Alltrack
2000 Ford F250 7.3

kharrell1972
Explorer
Explorer
Everything has been went through. That is what I am saying. All new Belts, hoses, oil, filters, fuel injectors, fuel pump, plugs, wires all new brakes, calipers and rotors, AC units checked, generator runs like a top etc…. The mobile mechanic says the exhaust is plugged. I have read that the 95-97 F53 chassis with the Ford 460 did not come with catalytic converter. I Realize it has extremely low miles but this thing is cherry! Just wondering if anyone had any dealings with exhaust or catalytic converter issues if there are any on this model.

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II
for sure check the brakes. They could be apply and did not release due to rubber brake hose collapse. If you can not find new hose then you will have to go to the braid stainless ones. The exhaust and transmission should be easy to check.

QCMan
Nomad II
Nomad II
With an average of 600 miles a year that is a lot of sitting. I put 150 miles a year on my riding mower. Broken down another way, that is two trips a year of 150 miles. 150 out, 150 back. No engines do well with that little use, how much camping use, as in "we used it for the season at Bill's campground" is putting no time on the rolling parts.
That old motor needs a top to bottom lookover as all that new stuff you are seeing was probably put on to impress you and make it look well taken care of. Have a trusted mechanic do a complete inspection of all the engine and chassis systems. When he is done you will know exactly where you stand.
You now know what a "driveway guarantee" is. Good enough to get it off of the driveway.
2020 Keystone Cougar 22RBS, Ram 1500, two Jacks and plenty of time to roam!
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. A.E.
Good Sam Life Member

kharrell1972
Explorer
Explorer
It had not sat it was being used. It has all new belts fuel filters injectors plugs wires etc.. ran good until the issue after we stopped.

RetiredRealtorR
Explorer
Explorer
My first thought is that a 25-year old engine with only 15,000 miles on it has been sitting idle for a very long time. Personally, before driving it any more, I'd get it to a trusted mechanic to do a very thorough check. I wouldn't be at all surprised to find a myriad of dried seals and belts as well.
. . . never confuse education with intelligence, nor motion with progress