cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

AC on or off?

Gooselover
Explorer
Explorer
When your 5'ver is at your house parked and you are NOT IN IT for a while, do you leave your AC on auto or turn completely off? It is very hot here in Oklahoma, and right now the AC units are OFF completely. Should I be concerned with the unit heating up inside?
Charlie & Jeri
2013 Keystone Cougar 327RES
2013 Dodge Ram 3500 EC
19 REPLIES 19

WE-C-USA
Explorer
Explorer
No Ac here. but I do run a dehumidifier. I set it on the counter & it drains into the sink. Into the tank, then, with the gray valve open w/hose. It drains the to the grass.
Before I started doing that. Mold would start the grow quick.
Frank & PJ
2022 2500HD GMC Duramax 4X4
2018 Grand Design-Refection 303RLS

sayoung
Explorer
Explorer
We keep our AC on about 80 when not useing. It's going to hit 100 by Tuesday here in NE Tx.

TravelinDog
Explorer
Explorer
I live where it routinely gets up to 110ยฐ+ for weeks on end during the summer. The a/c would be on ALL THE TIME even set at the highest setting.
Just say no to the payload police :C

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Nope. Maybe open a hatch if it has the covers that allow it to be open in the rain.

Florida maybe a bit different with the swampy heat but not OK.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
Never heard of people doing this. Seems borderline insane to run AC on a non-occupied RV. I guess all the insects and rodents will at least be comfortable. ?? To each their own I guessโ€ฆ
2015 Attitude 28SAG w/slide
2012 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax
B&W Turnover w/Andersen Ultimate 5er hitch

TXiceman
Explorer
Explorer
Why waste electricity cooling the space you are not utilizing. Oklahoma is rarely humid enough to worry about humidity. Put some vent covers on the roof vents and leave them open a couple of inches.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
We don't, but do leave a window vented for circulation. The only time we turn on the AC is several days in advance of a trip so that everything stays cool(er).
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

Campinghoss
Explorer
Explorer
I keep ours set at 82 while it is under the shelter. I also leave my frig on year round. It is a residential frig however. As already stated on this thread, we have our fiver packed just like our house. It is always ready to roll.
Camping Hoss
2017 Open Range 3X 388RKS
MorRyde IS with disc brakes
2017 F-350 6.7 with hips 8'bed
Lucie our fur baby
Lucky 9/15/2007 - 1/30/2023

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would have it off unless needed. Otherwise let it roast.

2manytoyz
Explorer
Explorer
I ALWAYS leave my A/C on. Did this for my 1999 Bounder Class A, a 2006 Rockwood travel trailer, and now our current Class A.

I set the temp 78-79F, close the blinds, but turn off the residential fridge.

Heat and humidity here in FL will destroy the inside of an RV. Other than the added cost of the electric bill, very little downside.
Robert
Merritt Island, FL
2023 Thor Quantum KW29
2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited TOAD
2023 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon TOAD
Falcon 2 Towbar, Roadmaster 9400 Even Brake System
http://www.2manytoyz.com/

Michelle_S
Explorer II
Explorer II
This is one of those "It all depends".
If you're a weekender and not much of anything left inside, don't need AC on, remember there is no AC on in those units sitting all summer in RV Dealers across the country.
Now if you're like us and keep the unit loaded and ready to leave on a few hours notice, I guess I would run the AC some for reasons already suggested.
2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

samsontdog
Explorer
Explorer
Allworth wrote:
He clearly said "at your house".

I have several rental houses in Yuma that I rent out during the winter
and I never leave the elect on during the summer. Every thing is turned off for 6 months
samsontdog:o:W

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
Allworth wrote:

Yep, we get that. The answer is still the same. Just because you can doesn't mean you have to. The point being made is that there are way more RV's that don't run the air in hot climates that do and there are no real complaints about issues.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

Allworth
Explorer
Explorer
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"