Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: F150 Lightning Road Trip & Ike Gauntlet Pull
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> F150 Lightning Road Trip & Ike Gauntlet Pull

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 16  
Prev  |  Next
time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/17/22 12:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

parker.rowe wrote:

PButler96 wrote:

Well this certainly descended into a pissing match of total silliness lol. Thanks for the laughs.

Right?
It towed the trailer very well.
Are there range issues. Yes
Is anyone surprised by that. No
Can you make it work if you change your driving habits. Probably
Does it have impressive power and is unaffected by elevation. Yes
No one is surprised by that either.

It did a great job towing the IKE and didn't break down on the road trip. But it's not for everyone.
No big surprise there. ICE vehicles will be around for a while yet for heavy work.
Yes this review was better than TFL [emoticon]

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

Thermoguy

Graham, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/20/22 06:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

parker.rowe wrote:

PButler96 wrote:

Well this certainly descended into a pissing match of total silliness lol. Thanks for the laughs.

Right?
It towed the trailer very well.
Are there range issues. Yes
Is anyone surprised by that. No
Can you make it work if you change your driving habits. Probably
Does it have impressive power and is unaffected by elevation. Yes
No one is surprised by that either.

It did a great job towing the IKE and didn't break down on the road trip. But it's not for everyone.
No big surprise there. ICE vehicles will be around for a while yet for heavy work.

I have to disagree with some of this.

An EV can out tow a comparable ICE. More torque and more horse power for similar equipment. Semi trucks with EV can outperform a comparable ICE, so it's only time for your 3/4 ton or 1 ton to be EV and outperform your current truck.

Will you have to change your driving habits? Maybe, today, yes, but tomorrow no. Most of my camp trips are within 100 to 150 miles. With a typical EV range, very doable today. Even more tomorrow with higher range trucks and better super charger capabilities.

I took an Uber today, it was a tesla. He showed me he can "refill" about 200 miles of range at a super charger in 15 -20 minutes for $15. At his house, the recharge rate is 100 miles per hour at a cost of $3-$6 for a typical 300 mile range.

Most people drive to work and back daily (if they work). Usually less than 100 miles. Your business might have a charger at work and it might be free to you. Any EV can accomplish this for the average. If on the weekends, you want to drive 500 miles, you might have to stop once or twice for 15 minutes. (assuming you live in an area with plenty of chargers - I'm on the west coast, they are everywhere) If you are using an F150 with trailer, maybe your range is reduced, but you can still charge in the time it takes most of us to get fuel, snack, wash the windows, etc. I think the Silverado will have a higher charging capacity, which means quicker charging over the F150.

My point - It's coming. You don't have to own one if you don't want, but my guess is everyone on this forum - that likes technology will own one. Eventually our government will outlaw ICE, so then you have to own one. If you don't want that, make sure you know who your voting for in the future. But - EV is good, it still runs on fossil fuels, just stores power, it doesn't generate fuel...

Finally, a point on batteries - soon batteries will be Sodium Ion - salt, not Lithium - better for the environment and more plentiful.

rjstractor

Maple Valley, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/20/22 06:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thermoguy wrote:

Semi trucks with EV can outperform a comparable ICE

Depends on your definition of "outperform". Compared with a conventional semi, the Freightliner eCascadia very likely accelerates faster. It may or may not climb hills faster- Freightliner's website lists HP options from 300 to 525. So probably a wash on hill climbing speeds. Tesla's website for their prototype Semi lists its speed on a 5% grade at 60 mph, which is good but not overwhelmingly so. Higher HP ICE trucks are close to that. But when it comes to doing what semi trucks actually are designed to do- move the freight hundreds of miles efficiently and productively, the electric trucks aren't close yet in performance. I say 'yet', because they will be some day. I hope you're right on the sodium ion batteries, because I don't see lithium as being sustainable once EV production expands a hundred fold.

FishOnOne

The Great State of Texas

View Profile

Posted: 06/20/22 07:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thermoguy wrote:

Finally, a point on batteries - soon batteries will be Sodium Ion - salt, not Lithium - better for the environment and more plentiful.

Then the battery manufacturers better get into high gear to implement these batteries because what they have to offer now still have some roadblocks to address.

'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs
"200k Mile Club"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 06/20/22 07:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I wonder if there were this many naysayers unwilling to give up there horse when the model T was introduced?
Remember there were not many paved roads or even construction equipment to build them.
Somehow we managed to build roads, gas stations, and an auto industry.
We even took it a step further and built the airplane
It won't be next week but I think we'll find a way to develop a battery and charging solutions over the next 20 years or so.
Color TV,cell phones,computers and the internet have all been introduced since I was born and have dramatically changed the way we live and think.
To think we cannot develop battery technology is silly.

19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

FishOnOne

The Great State of Texas

View Profile

Posted: 06/20/22 08:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lantley wrote:

I wonder if there were this many naysayers unwilling to give up there horse when the model T was introduced?
Remember there were not many paved roads or even construction equipment to build them.
Somehow we managed to build roads, gas stations, and an auto industry.
We even took it a step further and built the airplane
It won't be next week but I think we'll find a way to develop a battery and charging solutions over the next 20 years or so.
Color TV,cell phones,computers and the internet have all been introduced since I was born and have dramatically changed the way we live and think.
To think we cannot develop battery technology is silly.

The thing is as new successful technology was developed, it was typically better than what it was replacing.

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 06/21/22 08:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Absolutely no one is denying that electrically driven RV's are coming, the problem is the fan boys all think it will happen tomorrow, while the naysayers are pointing out many real problems that will delay things a decade or two...or three. The infrastructure, and battery storage of electricity have to catch up, and that will not happen immediately.

Who knows, EV's may be superseded before they actually reach maturity. After all EV technology is well over a hundred years old, and some new technology may supplant it.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/21/22 09:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rjstractor wrote:

Thermoguy wrote:

Semi trucks with EV can outperform a comparable ICE
Depends on your definition of "outperform". Compared with a conventional semi, the Freightliner eCascadia very likely accelerates faster. It may or may not climb hills faster- Freightliner's website lists HP options from 300 to 525. So probably a wash on hill climbing speeds. Tesla's website for their prototype Semi lists its speed on a 5% grade at 60 mph, which is good but not overwhelmingly so. Higher HP ICE trucks are close to that. But when it comes to doing what semi trucks actually are designed to do- move the freight hundreds of miles efficiently and productively, the electric trucks aren't close yet in performance. I say 'yet', because they will be some day. I hope you're right on the sodium ion batteries, because I don't see lithium as being sustainable once EV production expands a hundred fold.
For a commercial truck "performance" is often measured in cost per mile.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/21/22 09:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

On a different, but totally related note, I get the EV thing. He!!, if I won the lottery I'd have a Model S Plaid sitting next to my fleet of Hellcats and Demons!
But if the point is to be economical, how is a $130k to $150k Rivian even remotely a consideration?
Lets face it, there's utility of EVs (which is still largely debatable) and there's status symbol of EVs which is VERY apparent.
Heck, even a crew cab Lightning is a $90k pickup truck and a half ton at that.
Do the math, kids. This isn't about being green or economical...

When you could buy a top of the line ICE 1/2 ton from any mfg, with the power to tow more than any self respecting rvnet weight cop would even consider towing AND put 200,000 miles worth of $5 gas in it before even coming close to breaking even.
Like t2r said. Cost per mile is what counts...unless you're after the status symbol portion of it....then at least the Ford Lightning doesn't require the owner to wear a paper bag over their head so as to not be embarrassed to be driving comparable ugliness to a Pontiac Aztec or AMC Pacer!!

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

wanderingaimlessly

Buggs Island lake

View Profile

Posted: 06/21/22 10:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That EV claim of lower maintenance cost is somewhat misleading also.
Due to the increased weight of an Ev, tires are much more expensive, and have to be replaced much more often, from what I've read, a type S can cost upwards of $1500 for a tire change, and they are recommended every 26k miles. Not 50-60k like a standard set for a midsized car.
Also, figure in battery change after 5 to 7 years, and maintenance gets turned upside down. And trucks/tow vehicles especially do get used past that 5-7 year window.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 16  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> F150 Lightning Road Trip & Ike Gauntlet Pull
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.