Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Point to ponder, hornets nest stir
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Point to ponder, hornets nest stir

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/17/22 11:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

What if it was a front tire?

I'll answer your question with a question...
What if you could actually add meaningful content when you post?

But to be fair, and not where you were going with your question, stock for stock, a srw has significantly higher front tire weight ratings than a dually where the front tires are closer to being maxxed out.

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/17/22 12:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

time2roll wrote:

And I will add another question... why am I not on your ignore list?

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 06/17/22 02:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

Fair question.....
Having made a living with SRW and drw LDTs pulling 15k to 22k GN/pintle trailers or 10k-12k bumper pull enclosed trailers I had my share of actual blowouts on both size trucks....front and rear.
A actual blowout or run flat on the rear of either truck simply wasn't that big of a deal even with a heavy fully loaded 22k gross weight trailer pushing the back end around. Good trailer braking kept the combo going straight till shutdown.

Front tire blowout ??? Now that is serious with a heavy trailer back there pushing the back of the truck one way then another even with good trailer braking.

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

blt2ski

Kirkland, Wa

View Profile

Posted: 06/17/22 02:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

time2roll wrote:

But to be fair, and not where you were going with your question, stock for stock, a srw has significantly higher front tire weight ratings than a dually where the front tires are closer to being maxxed out.

Actually I like the "what if it were a front tire?"

Having had one or two front blow outs, those are way worst than rear blow outs, be it a single or dual. I've had more dw blow outs than singles!

Reality, the safety factor of a dual vs single is only in the drivers brain. Otherwise there is no difference in any test I've seen, etc.

Reality, a super wide single is better option than duals. Less overall wieght per corner, better mpg, braking etc.

In the dot class 3 truck world, singles vs duals have a couple tiny better advantages. Overall, same gawr v gawr, the single is afraid of the game.

Marty

92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

Me Again

Sunbird(Wa)/snowbird(Az)

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/17/22 02:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Are there any SRW with more that a rear axle rating of 7,000 lbs? When I towed a large 16K fifth wheel, I picked one with a 2435 dry pin weight. Which I verified when the manufacturer. Loaded for snowbirding/full timing for two years. My rear axle scaled weight was 6750 with a 7,000 RGAWR. Truck was a 2015 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie with the heavier Aisin tranny. No generator or W/D in the trailer.

I see many SRW trucks towing large trailers that I know have put the trailer over the truck rear axle/tire ratings.

My combined weight was 24,500 lbs.

[image]

2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/17/22 02:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Me Again wrote:

Are there any SRW with more that a rear axle rating of 7,000 lbs?

I see many SRW trucks towing large trailers that I know have put the trailer over the truck rear axle/tire ratings.

Not really (without checking every truck spec) as the rawr limitations on srw 1 tons (and 3/4 tons for that matter...here we go! lol) are generally/historically limited by wheel/rim ratings of 3500lbs ish per wheel.
Bout every full floating axle out there is good for a minimum of 9klbs up to generally 10klbs or more.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/17/22 03:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

blt2ski wrote:

Grit dog wrote:

time2roll wrote:

Actually I like the "what if it were a front tire?"

Having had one or two front blow outs, those are way worst than rear blow outs, be it a single or dual. I've had more dw blow outs than singles!

Reality, the safety factor of a dual vs single is only in the drivers brain. Otherwise there is no difference in any test I've seen, etc.

Reality, a super wide single is better option than duals. Less overall wieght per corner, better mpg, braking etc.

In the dot class 3 truck world, singles vs duals have a couple tiny better advantages. Overall, same gawr v gawr, the single is afraid of the game.

Marty

Bait cast, hook set, fish on!

(It was a leading question, to aimlessly refute the safety net of a dual rear wheel when only a single front is available.)

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/17/22 03:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JIMNLIN wrote:

Quote:

Fair question.....
Having made a living with SRW and drw LDTs pulling 15k to 22k GN/pintle trailers or 10k-12k bumper pull enclosed trailers I had my share of actual blowouts on both size trucks....front and rear.
A actual blowout or run flat on the rear of either truck simply wasn't that big of a deal even with a heavy fully loaded 22k gross weight trailer pushing the back end around. Good trailer braking kept the combo going straight till shutdown.

Front tire blowout ??? Now that is serious with a heavy trailer back there pushing the back of the truck one way then another even with good trailer braking.

time2roll is on a roll! 2 fish with one cast!
Remember, he's not thinking in practical, probable, real world terms...

ford truck guy

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/17/22 03:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

^^ my 2020 has a RAWR of 7240

Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/17/22 03:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

^ Yup, Chris should know Ford has the higher than 7K rating, since he has left the Mafia brand, and joined the blue oval club!

Even in 2013, you could get a F350 SRW with RAWR 7,280!

Jerry

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Point to ponder, hornets nest stir
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.